Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Any CT people get written up on the new exhaust law?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 02:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any CT people get written up on the new exhaust law?

The new stupid one that started October 1st. Basically saying any aftermarket muffler or pipe is illegal if it makes the car louder? Not just a fione either OH NO that would be too easy. Its $150 and you have to go to court since its now a misdameaner. Yes thats right, you are now a criminal if you like the way your car sounds with freeier flowing exhaust.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Any CT people get written up on the new exhaust law?

yea i heard that ****, it is based on the ricers but im sure it will get us also, the cops are real dicks up near the shop they really crack down on loud cars
Old 10-22-2003, 02:43 PM
8 second mod

So now I guess, SLP Street Leagal Performance. Loudmouth Clames 50 state leagal, How does that get grandfathered in? How does that work?

Some laws are so f-n stupid.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:22 PM
Launching!

Ya we got pulled over and the cop was such idiot. He told us to put exhast on the car and we told him to look under the car. He was surpresed to see two big 4 inch flowmasters. He told us we needed to quite it down or he was going to arest us next time.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:25 PM
Teching In

Hey Guy Your car is pretty loud, but it is a good loud I am glad we went with the exhaust set up on my car because it is pretty quiet but sounds good. Sorry about the bad luck, though.

Mark
Old 10-22-2003, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

Ya we got pulled over and the cop was such idiot. He told us to put exhast on the car and we told him to look under the car. He was surpresed to see two big 4 inch flowmasters. He told us we needed to quite it down or he was going to arest us next time.
Was this a local or a state cop?
Old 10-22-2003, 09:33 PM
Launching!

Local!
A 540 CI bbc putting out 805 flywheel horse does not help the 4 inch exhaust
we rarely take it out this cop was just an idiot
Old 10-22-2003, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I see said the blind man to his deaf wife!
Old 10-23-2003, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

A misdermeanor for having a loud exhaust???
Getting arrested because the cop thinks your car is too loud???
Thats the most f'n assinine thing I've ever heard. My sympathy goes out to you CT guys, but I know NY won't be far behind on making our laws more strict. Christ I swear, the laws get worse and worse. Soon we'll be at the point where if you sneeze without covering your mouth you'll be charged with attempted murder.

Man where's the ACLU when ya need them...
Old 10-23-2003, 12:27 PM
TECH Resident

So, how do they determine if the car is too loud ? Is it up to the officer’s discretion ?
And I wouldn't be surprised if NY follows suit with this type of BS law.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:17 PM
TECH Resident

So, how do they determine if the car is too loud ? Is it up to the officer’s discretion ?

Yes.
I recieved the followin from SEMA:

Jim:

I am aware of the new law. Last session, we took great pains to alert our Connecticut contacts to this legislation (see attached). I do not believe that we received a strong response. To follow below is a letter that I wrote to the Judiciary Committee chairman (by coincidence, his name is McDonald as well) when the bill was being considered. I have also attached a copy of our model bill which can be adapted to the needs of your state. The model does not include a provision for actual testing, but can be modified (as it was in California and Maine) to mandate state-sponsored testing. I encourage you to bring this information to the attention of your state legislators. Remember, they are elected by and work for you and your car club contacts.

In some states, we have been pushing for noise limits for modified exhaust systems, applicable to an easy to administer test standard. These limits are usually indicated in decibels and allow vehicle owners to prove compliance by an objectively measured fair and predictable procedure. In California, for example, we made provision for the testing of vehicle exhaust noise to a standard adopted by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) to an established noise limit of 95-decibels (SAE J1169). A 95-decibel limit has also been enacted in Washington State and Maine and legislation is also being considered this year in New Hampshire. The alternative, currently in effect in Connecticut, is to have law enforcement authorities make a subjective interpretation of a modified vehicle's exhaust noise level as compared to the noise emitted by the vehicle's original muffler. We find this unacceptable as a method to cite for violation of the vehicle code and certainly unfair to the many law-abiding and responsible Connecticut motorists who choose to customize their vehicles and have no connection to street racing or gang related activity.

Thanks for your interest. I also encourage you to join the SEMA Action Network which will enable you to receive notice of bills like these when they are introduced. I will have our Action Network Director (Conrad Wong) contact you by e-mail with all of the necessary information. We are available to work with you to see that the law is changed in CT.

Steve McDonald
SEMA

Dear Chairman McDonald:

On behalf of the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA), I am writing to request your opposition to House Bill 5145 when it is heard by the Judiciary Committee. H.B. 5145 would increase the fine to $150 for violation of the state's current motor vehicle exhaust noise law. Current Connecticut law prohibits "excessive, unusual or unnecessary exhaust noise" but fails to define these terms. H.B. 5145 does not supply law enforcement officers with a clear standard to enforce, allowing them to make subjective judgments on whether or not a modified exhaust system is in violation. Connecticut's vehicle enthusiasts find this unacceptable as a method to cite for violation of this law and certainly no basis for increasing the fine so dramatically.

SEMA is a trade association made up of 4,900 businesses in Connecticut and around the country that manufacture, rebuild, distribute and retail parts and accessories for motor vehicles. The products manufactured by our member companies include functional, restoration, performance and styling enhancement products for use on passenger cars, trucks and special interest vehicles. We represent a $27 billion a year industry. Our market is the many Connecticut constituents that modify their vehicles for improved performance and utility. These vehicle hobbyists unanimously oppose this bill.

All will agree that motor vehicle exhaust systems should not be used in a way that causes overly loud or objectionable noise. However, H.B. 5145 adds substantial fines to a state law that could, if applied inappropriately, prohibit exhaust systems that result in even modest and inoffensive noise increases. Modified exhaust systems are preferred by motorists less because of their distinctive sound, but rather for their benefits to performance, durability, appearance and improved vehicle fuel efficiency.

There is a solution. The best and most fair method to address noise concerns is by instituting a noise decibel limit. In some states, noise limits for modified exhaust systems are established and measured by an easy to administer, objective and predictable test standard. California, for example, provides for the testing of vehicle exhaust noise to a standard adopted by the Society of Automotive Engineers at a noise limit of 95-decibels. A 95-decibel limit has also been enacted in Washington State and similar legislation is being considered this year in Maine and New Hampshire.

Thank you for consideration of our views. I would be happy to work with you or your staff to find satisfactory alternative language that will not discriminate unfairly against the many law-abiding Connecticut motorists who choose to customize their vehicles responsibly. I can be reached by telephone at 202/783-0864 or by e-mail at stevem@sema.org

Sincerely,

Stephen B. McDonald

SEMA Director, Government Affairs

1317 F Street, NW, Suite 500

Washington, D.C. 20004

202/783-0864

stevem@sema.org

Old 10-23-2003, 05:06 PM
TECH Junkie

That cranks my ***. Period. There are straight piped Harleys all over the place riding around all over New England and the police never give them a second look....They are obnoxiously loud and get away with it...What the hell is going on here?
Old 10-24-2003, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd start by writing your senators and congresspersons.

Also, if your exhaust was within legal limits prior to the bill being passed, you may be able to get the vehicle grandfathered.

As far as the "50 state legal" claim on SLP's website, it's 50 state "emissions" legal. That does not account for noise. It's a broad and misleading claim by SLP.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

COPS SUCK, got nothin better to do than b*tch and complain like little pansy's about how loud our cars are....GO HELP SOMEONE FOR ONCE
Old 03-18-2004, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If it's to loud your to old! Oh this is gonna make the summer so much fun now. I should put the stock exhaust back on and throw an electric cutout on to really screw with them.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:38 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

this is one of the laws that really **** me off for one reason that was already mentioned about the fing harleys that wake the dead pluss. i understand loud pipes save lives and that when you cant see them you can hear them but i say if theres defective equipment yea fine but after you sink a lot of cash into an exhaust to your needs and is made alot better than the factory stuff anyway why come down on us, the old big block muscle cars used to run around open headers

ok im done
Old 03-18-2004, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChiefBrody
If it's to loud your to old! Oh this is gonna make the summer so much fun now. I should put the stock exhaust back on and throw an electric cutout on to really screw with them.
Good thinking! I'm right next door in milford, let me know, we'll double team em'!
Old 03-18-2004, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm up for it. A double line lock burnout. We'll see how they like it when there fillings are rattling out of there mouth.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChiefBrody
I'm up for it. A double line lock burnout. We'll see how they like it when there fillings are rattling out of there mouth.
Fun times! SS asleep till summer though and this last snow storm really pissed me off, more sand all over the roads now, i'll probably be driving the beater until mid april now. When that time comes though, i'll let you know, are you current on aim?
Old 03-18-2004, 04:03 PM
11 Second Club

oh man thats total crap!....... damn stupid laws.

Quick Reply: Any CT people get written up on the new exhaust law?