Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Speedo not working, VSS replaced, still not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Speedo not working, VSS replaced, still not working

As the title states. My speedo stopped working. I replaced the VSS. It still doesn't work.

Thoughts???

Andy

EDIT: 11/12/10
I found the issue and fixed it a month ago. Figured I would post the results. The VSS replacement worked for a little while. It turns out there was a larger issue at hand.

After the speedo stopped working all together I went and got a used cluster. Plugged it in and everything worked except the mileage was off some. I drove the car around like that for a little while. I was in my shed and came across the old cluster. I had nothing to do one night so I decided to take the old cluster apart and see how the thing worked and see if I could take the odometer out and put it in the newer used cluster. The odometer is solid state and cannot be swapped- or at least I didn't want to get into soldering anything. Furthermore, the speedometer output is directly associated with the odometer. If the speedometer doesn't work, the odometer doesn't work. The circuitry uses speed (mph) and time to come up with miles. The gauges, however, are powered by 'drivers' that are basically coils that use 4 points of electronic contact to turn the needle to its respective 'read out' according to the sending unit.

Knowing this I decided to pull the cluster in the car out and replace the speedometer driver with the one from the newer cluster. I then placed the original/older cluster in the car, calibrated the gauges via HPTuners and took the car for a spin. To no avail, the speedometer and odometer worked!!!! So it looks like my issue was the actual driver for the speedometer. The car only has approximately 95k miles on it. I didn't expect that to be the cause of my issue but it is fixed now. So I figured I would post the results in here to let people know who are seeing a faulty speedo and have replaced the VSS sensor/wiring and are still having issues.

Last edited by White.Lightning; 11-12-2010 at 06:16 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you changed the radio out lately? That did it to mine, had the speed sensor wire hooked up by accident.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

It actually works now. After changing the VSS I unhooked the battery, reconnected it, and the speedo began to work.

Thanks
Old 04-27-2009, 12:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
It actually works now. After changing the VSS I unhooked the battery, reconnected it, and the speedo began to work.

Thanks
you're a genius...
Old 11-09-2009, 07:12 AM
TECH Addict

Not working again......

Any ideas? Could the VSS sensor go bad again that quickly???
Old 11-09-2009, 08:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you setting a code for it?? You need to check and see if the PCM is getting a VSS signal. could be a wiring issue or it could be a PCM or clutster issue.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

I'm don't think I'm throwing a code, nor is the SES light on. I can check tonight.

I guess I could check continuity from the VSS connector to the PCM.

Last resort would be to check the wiring from the PCM to the cluster.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:17 AM
TECH Addict

Bringing this back from the dead but I found the issue and figured it would possibly help someone in the future.

EDIT: 11/12/10
I found the issue and fixed it a month ago. Figured I would post the results. The VSS replacement worked for a little while. It turns out there was a larger issue at hand.

After the speedo stopped working all together I went and got a used cluster. Plugged it in and everything worked except the mileage was off some. I drove the car around like that for a little while. I was in my shed and came across the old cluster. I had nothing to do one night so I decided to take the old cluster apart and see how the thing worked and see if I could take the odometer out and put it in the newer used cluster. The odometer is solid state and cannot be swapped- or at least I didn't want to get into soldering anything. Furthermore, the speedometer output is directly associated with the odometer. If the speedometer doesn't work, the odometer doesn't work. The circuitry uses speed (mph) and time to come up with miles. The gauges, however, are powered by 'drivers' that are basically coils that use 4 points of electronic contact to turn the needle to its respective 'read out' according to the sending unit.

Knowing this I decided to pull the cluster in the car out and replace the speedometer driver with the one from the newer cluster. I then placed the original/older cluster in the car, calibrated the gauges via HPTuners and took the car for a spin. To no avail, the speedometer and odometer worked!!!! So it looks like my issue was the actual driver for the speedometer. The car only has approximately 95k miles on it. I didn't expect that to be the cause of my issue but it is fixed now. So I figured I would post the results in here to let people know who are seeing a faulty speedo and have replaced the VSS sensor/wiring and are still having issues.

Quick Reply: Speedo not working, VSS replaced, still not working