Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

I just opened for Tom Morello's new band! (Street Sweeper Social Club)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I just opened for Tom Morello's new band! (Street Sweeper Social Club)

As some of you know, I'm the guitarist in an rock band called Mad Orchid (www.myspace.com/madorchid) and we're workin our way up. Well, we had a show Wednesday night at Kenny's Castaways in New York City and when we showed up, we found out the big secret the club was keeping: we were opening for Street Sweeper Social Club, Tom Morello's new band! (Tom Morello is the guitarist from Rage Against The Machine and Audioslave for those who might not know, and the singer is Boots Riley)

Their album is coming out in a few weeks and they leave next week to go on tour with Nine Inch Nails and Jane's Addiction, so this was their warmup show. Because it was a smaller venue and they didn't want it to get mobbed for like 10 blocks, they kept it a secret and just invited a few close friends and stuff (it got packed anyways, though). They put on a killer show and were tight as hell. I'm sure you'll be hearing their stuff on the radio any day now if it's not already being played.

He signed my guitar for me and we hung out with them for a while. They actually asked me if he could use my amp cabinet because the one there sucks, but it was a few blocks away at the time and they couldn't wait for me to grab it. I got a ton of pics but I only have a couple that were sent to me so far (sorry about the crappy quality). The first one is me playing Tom's "Arm The Homeless" guitar that you may have seen on many a magazine cover and in many videos, the second is of us opening for them, and the others are of them on stage (you can see I'm standing directly in front of them, haha). Doing the stuff I do I get to hang out with a lot of famous bands and stuff (Stone Sour, Shadows Fall, Lacuna Coil, John Mayer, etc), but Tom Morello is a pretty cool guy and it really doesn't get much bigger than him. Talk about a surprise and a kickass night!

Old 05-08-2009, 02:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very cool
Old 05-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Internet Mechanic

Wow, now that is a story to hold on to.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys have some damn good music!
Old 05-08-2009, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thechef
very cool
Thanks!
Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Wow, now that is a story to hold on to.
Yeah, no kidding. I can't wait to get the rest of the pics our manager took.
Originally Posted by amsoilguy
You guys have some damn good music!
Thanks, man! It's on iTunes if you care to download a few songs. Just do a search for Mad Orchid in the iTunes store. And if you send me your email address, I'll even send you one for free just for the compliment! Just pick a song from the Myspace and you got it.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:35 PM
Teching In

Good stuff dude! I just bought your albums from iTunes. Keep goin'!
Old 05-08-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by YeloFevr
Good stuff dude! I just bought your albums from iTunes. Keep goin'!
Kickass! Thanks a lot, man! I'm glad everyone is liking the music! We work damn hard and we're slowly makin our way up the ladder!
Old 05-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

Just keep doin what your doin!

because as soon as a few of my friends here this I'll have some more albums sold for you
Old 05-08-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by amsoilguy
Just keep doin what your doin!

because as soon as a few of my friends here this I'll have some more albums sold for you
That's awesome, man! Thanks for helping spread the word and I'll keep you posted on new stuff as we're in the studio right now working on new material.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, that's a nice gig to land! My old band got to open for Hatebreed and Biohazard once, that was the biggest show we got to play.

Hey can you bring a cd to the rental on the 22nd? I'd like to buy a physical copy rather than just the MP3s.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Formula413
Damn, that's a nice gig to land! My old band got to open for Hatebreed and Biohazard once, that was the biggest show we got to play.

Hey can you bring a cd to the rental on the 22nd? I'd like to buy a physical copy rather than just the MP3s.
Sure thing! Yeah, for a while we were rehearsing at the same place as Hatebreed in Naugatuck where our studio and stuff is but then we got our own space. They seem like cool guys.