Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Good Trade? Firebird to a Fiero?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 01:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Trade? Firebird to a Fiero?

I have a 3.4 liter firebird, and a guy with a custom painted Pontiac Fiero with 57,000 miles wants to do a fair trade. He says he likes new cars and painting new cars, and he seems pretty legit. The car is black with a black/and dark red painting on the front of the car. It looks mean, also has custom painted rims. Manual as well. I'm going to see it on Sunday, anything in particular I should look out for?
Old 07-11-2009, 07:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Definitely not. Even 3.4 Firebird to Fiero is a trade down IMO. When you have a Firebird the only way is to trade up. I say keep your car & wait til you can get a LS1 Bird. or drop a V8 into the one you have.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep your car. Transplant a newer LS2 engine/trans and be real happy.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:16 AM
TECH Addict

trade and do a V8 in the fiero
Old 07-11-2009, 08:52 AM
12 Second Club

THATS NUCKING FUT'S stick with the bird. now if the fiero had a ls1 in it,m thats different. but it doesent
Old 07-11-2009, 04:20 PM
Staging Lane

What is so wrong with the Fiero's? Hard to insure? Unreliable? I already called off meeting the guy, told him I couldn't insure a Fiero haha. Just curious as to why you guys are against them so much.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A Firebird is a car with 30 years of heritage behind it that everyone knows. The Fiero was a 3 or 4 year run compact sporty car of the 80's. The 4th gen Firebird has a big design advantage over the Fiero due to the Firebird being newer & because it's a regular sized sporty/performance car. Depending on just how much you'd be willing to put into the Firebird mod wise you can go a lot further & probably at cheaper cost for the same thing on a Fiero. Fiero is respectable because it's pretty unique design but it'll never be an FBody.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:49 PM
9 Second Club

Just go buy a C5 and be happy...
Old 07-11-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

theres nothing wrong with fieros. they were ahead of their time when they came out, but the market didnt want a 2 seater at that period.

theyll never 'be an fbody' because they were never SUPPOSED to 'be' an fbody in the first place. why else would it be a 2 seater, rear engine car??

if i didnt already have 4 vehicles, i wouldnt hesitate in getting a nice fiero to modify and make into an autoxer. if you want drag times, a somewhat easy swap is the supercharged 3.8 V6, getting you instant low 12s, with no other modifications at all.

people have been swapping motors into fieros since the second day they rolled off the line. anything you can imagine has been wedged into one. theres a guy on SSU with a northstar V8 fiero. LS1s have been in there, as well as 3.4, 3.8, and blown 3.8s. its different, its unique, and they can be found very cheaply. there are more cars out there for fun/projects then fbodies and vettes, and this is coming from someone with 2 Trans Ams and a camaro.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Anyone who likes fieros has a serious problem, worst car ever engineered by GM. I don't give a **** if they have a 5 star crash rating either.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:11 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Krazy98Z28
Anyone who likes fieros has a serious problem, worst car ever engineered by GM. I don't give a **** if they have a 5 star crash rating either.
Hahah, the looks aren't THAT bad. This particular Fiero is one of the cleanest I've seen in a while, but I know nothing about the mechanical aspects, thats why I'm glad I consulted here first.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

To each his own buddy, but the fact that you want to try something different means that you're not 100% happy with your bird so yeah why not try something new. Take that Fiero for a drive and check it out, you don't want to get a car that'll make you do daily trips to Auto Zone and regret trading the bird.
I think it's easier to sell a 3.4 bird than a Fiero so if you think about a future sale, you might wanna stay with the bird.
I don't know anything about Fieros so I couldn't tell you if it's a good trade or not, but again if you're considering it, it means you want change , so go for it after u make sure it's a good car.

That's my opinion ...

Adam
Old 07-12-2009, 08:21 AM
TECH Junkie

The V6 Firebirds and Camaros really weren't so popular. The Fieros are a unique car....they didn't make alot of them, or for that long, and the ones you still see around today are usually done up nicely...Go to a good car show....the nicely done Fieros there will definitely be getting way more attention than the V6 4th gen Firebirds, and a good, clean Fiero will bring more $ than a run-of-the-mill V6 Firebird to most any car collector. Just like two more cars that are going by the wayside--the Pontiac Solstice and the Saturn Sky...2 neat little sports cars that probably will become more popular after they're gone....just my .02 cents worth. WJ
Old 07-12-2009, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Krazy98Z28
Wrong my friend. This is the worse car ever engineered by GM