Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

MD peoples -buying car out of state

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 12:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MD peoples -buying car out of state

Think I'm burned out from trying to replace my recently totalled birdy, crawling boards/research.

Looking like I'll have to go out of state to get one of the few I've been looking at. If anyone's went through this, can I just apply for 30day temp tags in MD? Or do I need the title to do that? Other ways?

I'm not lookin for slap old tags on it and haul ***, gonna be a decent road trip, flying out/driving back. Would like to make it back without problems.
Thanks

Last edited by Lqdsilver; 10-27-2009 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Can't spell.. 1/2 asleep
Old 10-27-2009, 12:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just used old tags and obeyed the speed limit.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:04 AM
Teching In

Yeah but for how far, my max distance is like 20 hours, or something I can do in 2 days(weekend), if it was just an adjacent state I'd go for that. I'd go to the MVA and ask but we all know how pleasant an experience that is.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From DMV.org:

What should I do if I want to buy a vehicle from another state?

Buying a vehicle in Maryland can be a tricky business, so buying a vehicle from another state might seem like a gigantic task. In actuality, it's not very different.

Follow the same procedures as you would to buy a vehicle in Maryland, making sure that you have the seller sign over the title to you. Since the vehicle is coming from another state, you will need to get a safety inspection in Maryland at a full-service MVA office.

If you don't have tags for the vehicles, you can apply for temporary tags at an MVA office. Temporary tags are $20 and are valid for 30 days which should be enough time for you to inspect, register, and insure your vehicle.

Frank
Old 10-27-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought my Trans Am from Detroit in 2007, I got temp tags from Michigan and drove it back, got it inspected and ran around on those temp tags until they expired, and then registered it in Maryland.

When I bought my GTP back in June from North Jersey, I took the tags from the Trans Am and drove back, sort of obeying the speed limit. I figured if I got stopped the cop wouldn't know what a Trans Am really looked like...both cars are 2000 Black Pontiacs
Old 10-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Teching In

I thought I read for md temp you had to have the title in hand. Maybe I'll try and read up on whateverthehell state I finally find 1 in and see what they require =\
Old 10-27-2009, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know here in va you can buy a 3 day trip/permit pass. Its not a license plate though its just a piece of paper you print out and take with you. I did that and took an old tag when i purchased my z06 out of state. Never got pulled over, but if i did i would just show that the plate belongs to my other car and show the printed out trip pass.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

What are you looking for? There are alot available that you can get, with more people helping, it makes it easier. What are you looking for, price range, tranny type, colors ect.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

I bought my car from Md. I took my Pa plate with me and drove normal and didn't have a problem. I looked at going to texas to get a car but when I figured the flight out and the time and cost to drive back I just waited till I found what I was looking for. Also, the miles you put on the car.

I also looked into getting a transport company to pick it up but that was pretty pricey. Stick it out and find one locally even if you have to wait till the spring.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:37 PM
Teching In

Just purchased a car in GA and I live in MD. I insured the car, sent the seller a check to pay in full, had the title signed over and sent to me, then went to a local title place where I completely registered the car (tax, tags, registration). They gave me plate that expires in 30 days. It was a fairly simple process, partly because the seller was so communicative and willing to assist. I also thought about using a tag from another car, but did not want to take the chance driving 600 miles like that. I also researched other ways, but this seemed like the best and most legal.

Quick Reply: MD peoples -buying car out of state