Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Slowhawk Performance

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slowhawk Performance

Well Don built my old cammed z28 so I have had experience with his work before but gotta say he is still the best tuner around. Brought my 2003 suburban there today to have a tune done and to check out the small issue I was having with my 1-2 shift and couldnt be happier with the results. Don spent over an hour checking under the hood for any issues (found my air box and the intake pipe going to the throttlebody were both ridiculousy loose plus checked my MAF sensor) and street tuned the vehicle. He fixed the shift points, adjusted the partial throttle response so I dont need to mash the gas to get the beast moving, and even adjusted the line pressure on the tranny when cold so my 1-2 shift wouldnt be as violent as it was before. All in all cant say enough about Don's work and what a great guy he is. Most shops wouldnt want to deal with customers whom arent looking to spend an arm and a leg on performance mods nevermind trying to fix an existing issue but Don didnt hesitate to help me out. Thanks again Don for your help and anyone who needs work done on their lsx powered vehicle shouldnt hesitate to give him a call.

Last edited by 98Z28MASS; 01-15-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:18 PM
SRM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Although Don has not performed a lot of work on my 2000 Z28, he will be first in line when I decide to have work done on my new Camaro.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:39 PM
Launching!

i have heard nothing but good things about don, looking forward to meeting him
Old 01-16-2010, 07:36 AM
11 Second Club

It'll be worth the trip!!
Old 01-16-2010, 07:48 AM
11 Second Club

My car is there now for a Yanks stall, transmission, and QTP cutout. I also dropped it of yesterday can't say enough when it comes down to his willingness to give you his honest opinion even if it cost him money.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BKDZ28
My car is there now for a Yanks stall, transmission, and QTP cutout. I also dropped it of yesterday can't say enough when it comes down to his willingness to give you his honest opinion even if it cost him money.
Actually saw the car down there yesterday, looks real clean! Yea I was talking to him for a little bit after he finished the tune on my suburban and was waiting on a part for your car and its great hearing an unbaised opinion on what should/shouldnt be done. Like I was kicking around the idea of maybe throwing a small cam and headers on my suburban just for some extra power and he basically told me the only thing to really get an SUV of that size moving is a blower/turbo and to keep it the way I have it now. Thats why I would never take any lsx powered vehicle anywhere else.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:00 AM
Staging Lane

out of all the peeps who have worked on my car i can honestly say im pleased w/ his work... all the small stuff i do, anything else it goes to him
Old 01-17-2010, 09:38 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
Actually saw the car down there yesterday, looks real clean! Yea I was talking to him for a little bit after he finished the tune on my suburban and was waiting on a part for your car and its great hearing an unbaised opinion on what should/shouldnt be done. Like I was kicking around the idea of maybe throwing a small cam and headers on my suburban just for some extra power and he basically told me the only thing to really get an SUV of that size moving is a blower/turbo and to keep it the way I have it now. Thats why I would never take any lsx powered vehicle anywhere else.
Its the truth, he got my heavy pig running a 12.91 while spinning 4wd. Time for some nittos
Old 01-17-2010, 09:47 AM
Teching In

Yeah that slowhawk guy is OK. The shop is run professionally, work is outstanding the place is clean and orderly and you will feel good about leaving your vehicle there,its in good hands,

Believe me there are a lot of shops that are run like clusterfucks and the help doesnt care about anything but stealing from you...............
Old 01-17-2010, 02:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BKDZ28
Brian I also recent put a Electric Cutout on my car. They are alot of fun.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:17 PM
11 Second Club

Lightbulb

Yeah, it was an after thought after talking with Don and looking at his car!
Must sound bad *** with the cam being at a red light, hit the switch from tame to a terror!
Old 01-18-2010, 05:33 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the props guy's. I try like hell to make everyone happy and point them to the right parts even if I make no money on it.

Trucks are very populer for tuning.The factory tunes are horrible,so the $250 street tunes work very good..

BKD- your car is on the lift and we should have the tranny out today.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Thanks for the props guy's. I try like hell to make everyone happy and point them to the right parts even if I make no money on it.

Trucks are very populer for tuning.The factory tunes are horrible,so the $250 street tunes work very good..

I can vouch that up, my suburban is like a totally different truck now with the tune. Also, lowering the line pressure when cold did help the cold 1-2 shift, it doesnt wind up then smash into 2nd like before, shifts nice and smooth at a low rpm. Definately a night and day difference.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:20 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds good. You help me out even when your not making money on it.

My co worker is getting a TBSS and I already told him when he gets bored of it and wants better mileage I've got the right person for him. Do you see big gains in mileage with the trucks?

Hey btw can/do you tune the TBI chevy SUVs 97-2000s with the vortec 5700 engines? And if so do you see any good gains from them in power/mileage
Old 01-19-2010, 08:29 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sciff5
Sounds good. You help me out even when your not making money on it.

My co worker is getting a TBSS and I already told him when he gets bored of it and wants better mileage I've got the right person for him. Do you see big gains in mileage with the trucks?

Hey btw can/do you tune the TBI chevy SUVs 97-2000s with the vortec 5700 engines? And if so do you see any good gains from them in power/mileage
The TBSS has the worst tunes I've ever seen from GM. Big improvement's with just a tune.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Regular

The TBSS has the worst tunes I've ever seen from GM. Big improvement's with just a tune.
Ok i had a TBSS tuned from don and all i can say is he did a great job with it!!!! Hands down it was faster with less mods than any other TBSS i have seen in person up in the north east...
Old 01-19-2010, 07:18 PM
Teching In

yeah id like ot have a few extr grand lying around and throw in a nice cam for the burble burble sound!
Old 01-19-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Some day I'll have him tune the TBSS, not until the stang gets done
Old 01-20-2010, 04:29 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Krazy98Z28
Some day I'll have him tune the TBSS, not until the stang gets done
That TBSS will be a high mileage junk, by the time you finish the stang
Old 01-20-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Junkie