Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Those who have sold highly modded cars. MA lemon law

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Those who have sold highly modded cars. MA lemon law

I will soon be selling my 97 383ci trans am ws6. I have sold a few f-bodies in the past, but this is the first one that ishould not pass inspection unless you know someone like i did. So my question is, what should i do to make sure this law doesnt turn around and bite me in the but. All of my Off-road mods are clearly listed in the ad (No AIR/EGR headers, no cats, OBD-1 conversion), but should i list something in the bill of sale too? Something that says i do not guarantee the car to pass inspection?
Old 02-22-2010, 08:34 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just sell it as off road use only.Probly scare off buyers but you have to make them aware that it won't pass the inspection.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you had the PCM flashed back to OBDII would it pass? As long as the codes for the missing emissions stuff are tuned out.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula413
If you had the PCM flashed back to OBDII would it pass? As long as the codes for the missing emissions stuff are tuned out.
you can't reflash an obd-1 pcm. you would have to buy another OBDII pcm and tune it for the mods. Not a huge deal but whatever. Its all right there in black and white tho so i dont think i should have a problem.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

List car "As is". Since it's not a new car and you're not a dealer you shouldn't be affected under lemon law. Lemon Law is for the car having a mechanical problem or something and being returned for repairs for the same thing over and over. But the car is as is and has no warrenty, so if the new buyer has a problem, they're SOL as long as they new what they were buying under the As Is.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In some states the law requires the car to pass inspection even if sold "as is". Best bet would to be label it "off road use only"