Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Out with the old....In with the New!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 08:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is mikeP going 10.40@132 and I think this was before the better heads and over spinning the blower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCCttOlYPUM

I personally witnessed the 770rwhp pull with 2 people sitting in the back and it still spinning the tires on the dyno
Old 02-25-2010, 08:26 PM
10 Second Club

damn you beat me to it
Old 02-25-2010, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=nhra_crazy;12949537]
Originally Posted by mikep2002

Oh ya its a dyno queen for sure... I will vouch for that one.. and Mikey has this thing with missing gears and lack of proper saftey gear in the car..
Mike needs to put a cage and a auto in that bitch.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
Here is mikeP going 10.40@132 and I think this was before the better heads and over spinning the blower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCCttOlYPUM

I personally witnessed the 770rwhp pull with 2 people sitting in the back and it still spinning the tires on the dyno
I witnessed it to, accually I won the bet, all $9.....
Old 02-25-2010, 08:39 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If it went 10.4 with 770 rwhp there's serisously something up.... I'm going a second faster with 120 less rwhp (and trapping a good 10+ mph higher)

auto/safety equipment please, buy both in bulk.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
If it went 10.4 with 770 rwhp there's serisously something up.... I'm going a second faster with 120 less rwhp (and trapping a good 10+ mph higher)

Well the 10.40 was I think when he was making around 650 also if you watch the video you can see the car break loose in 4th at the big end of the track. The car isn't really set up for drag racing more for being a beach cruiser as P says
Old 02-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Race your car!

makes no sense... why spend the $ on that kid of power if you can't put it down? It's got to be a vette guy thing, becasue I don't get it.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:51 PM
10 Second Club

Supras are that way too. more power than most of them can use. I however am looking to make more power this year and put it to the track this year. Upgrading the top end of the motor and doing a TH400 swap
Old 02-25-2010, 08:55 PM
9 Second Club

Your correct if was a race car it would be an auto. Its my coffee go getter and ice cream cruiser with my daughter. I would just hate to see the car loose at what its best at driving around in the summer having fun. Its been 10.2 with 625rwhp. More Hp lead to slower ET more MPH and alot more tire spin in the danger zone. Still every peice of emission equiptment except cats and nothing stock removed except fuel rail covers. You cant even tell the car is doing a burnout until smoke starts coming from the wheels. Let me see a nitrous car on a 3.905 bore have nearly the driveablity of this car and less motor maintance. Yep I would hate to see the number the car could put down as an auto. And yes it does tend to get a bit scarry up top at times. When in doubt let out...
Old 02-25-2010, 08:55 PM
Race your car!

And you will go a TON faster with the Th400. Even with no more power you'd probably pick up a 1/4 second at least, just because the car will hook and leave right.

I'd rather have a sheet that says 600 hp and let people wonder how it goes as fast as it does with that little power then have a 1000 hp dyno sheet, then have to explain why it's not running in the 8's like it should be.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Regular

makes no sense... why spend the $ on that kid of power if you can't put it down? It's got to be a vette guy thing, becasue I don't get it.
if you had an 18" dick, you'd never full use it, but it's awesome braggin rights...
Old 02-25-2010, 09:16 PM
9 Second Club

And you will go a TON faster with the Th400. Even with no more power you'd probably pick up a 1/4 second at least, just because the car will hook and leave right.

I'd rather have a sheet that says 600 hp and let people wonder how it goes as fast as it does with that little power then have a 1000 hp dyno sheet, then have to explain why it's not running in the 8's like it should be.
To those who actually know me know I really dont drive the car as hard as it should be driven at the track. To those who dont know me I have my sig to explain what mods are done to the car and its times. Wheel spin at that hp makes it real tough to stay fully into it. Anyone can drive an auto well into the nines with 700hp... To run a number in a six speed thats a challange. I am just glad I have LS123 to make sure my transmissions stay together under the load I put on them. I dont think centri blower cars leave anything on the table in reguards to torque compared to most nitrous cars on the street.

To my knowledge which is very limited as you well know with the laughy gas. I believe most nitrous cars have some kind of an RPM window switch at some point in the rpm range? If thats the case I dont think I leave much on the table for torque at 3K I am already boosting well and making more and I know one thing the bottles not going to run out and its not going to get cold...
Old 02-25-2010, 09:17 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by C5kid
if you had an 18" dick, you'd never full use it, but it's awesome braggin rights...
Someones been drinking and dreaming tonight...
Old 02-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Commical that my recent sarcastic reply to MikeP in the other thread becomes ultra relevant here.

For those who missed it I made fun of having high HP and not proving to the world that your car runs the number to back up the HP. I'm in the same boat as Mike.

Why? What if at 7am on a Friday I decide I want to take my car to work, then hop on I-95 and cruise to the beach at 75mph @ 2k RPM. I see a GSXR-1000 on the way there and give him a gear or two. Get to the beach and there's a Viper cruising down the block, or a 996/997. On the way home on Saturday I get a call saying the guys are at the track, come stop by. I hop on I-95 to Cecil and make a few passes. Sure they're 11s @ 130 with a 1.8 60'... but I just got 24mpg rowing gears in my street car.

It's not the same as making a pull in the car with an auto, but either route I've gotta make a sacrifice. I hit the track up maybe 3-4 times a year. My car is a fun driver, that's it. I'm sure plenty of others feel the same way and that's why we have street cars with high HP and not race cars.

As for Nitrous vs. Blower:

My car made 725/669 on pump gas with a blower. I've never touched the motor aside from changing spark plugs in 7500 miles. It's got the same belt it's always had on it. I had a few minor hiccups, but nothing I can even remember now.

Nitrous for a race car/weekend warrior is great. Forced induction is a completely different type car. Don't knock it until you've had it. And at the end of the day it's all about personal preference.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:36 AM
Race your car!

I've had a boosted car... I know what it's like.

I am not saying either is a better deal believe me, they all work, both on and off the street.

Race car.. when the rules are right, I'll take a nitrous car.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:33 AM
Staging Lane

Purging is fun too !!!
Old 02-26-2010, 07:13 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by bills98ta
Purging is fun too !!!
I hope you think so sitting at the prestage at 4.50 a pound... And knowing you may have to change a bottle after probably a few of those? LOL

I can see its purpose as ghetto hp cost wise on a steet car. Just so we dont get wrapped up in word context. "1K bolt on 100/200HP but with a headache" of heating bottles and filling bottles. And good for those one hit wonders on the street.

And from a racecar standard. I just dont get quite get it. I have been to the racetrack to watch Fireball at an outlaw event and watch him make mulitple passes with minium work to the car. And I see these nitrous outlaw cars with 20 bottles along side of their trailors. Just dont see how thats not a headache. And those nitrous outlaw cars nothing ghetto about them looks like some real high end direct port injection with multiple stages and some serious sheet metal intake work.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:25 AM
Race your car!

Call it what you want, but look @ Promod racing... how many times have nitrous cars made it to the finals in the last 5 years and won? That's the pinnicle of racing with nitrous... and believe me the nitrous guys are serious contenders at every event.

fwiw, I can heat a bottle in the hot water bath in about 10min, 15 on a colder day, and pull the bottle and hook up a fresh one in less time then it takes to get in the car and get strapped in.

As for the spark plug maintenance, I can change all 8 plugs in about 15 min, cut a couple in the trailer and have a good read, and make a tune adjustment if needed in a very short period of time.

If you're datalogging your turbo car, and want to make tune adjustments you'll spend a good 20 min doing that, I'm not too far behind.

If you're running a blower car, and the track will take more power, how long does it take to make a pulley change and get the belt back to the right tension?

Any power adder is going to make the power you need to go fast... and every one of them takes alot of maintenance both at the track and at home.

Couple people I know with outlaw turbo cars, are always rewelding headers because they fatigue and crack, and believe me they're doing a good bit of work before and after a race day. The guys I know that race with blower cars, one with a 1471 equipped 598, another with an F2 setup... both of them tell me that the maintenance, checking the belt (both running cog), adjustment to the tune, etc is a good bit of work too. All the nitrous racers I know are pulling every plug every run, and making fuel pressure adjustments to get things where they want it every run.

EVERY single guy I know that races with anything that's fast, brings someone with them that helps while they're at the track. They all bring someone, Chef comes with me and I have 2 other guys that are gonna come with us too, they'll probably alternate as they ave both busy with work and whatnot, but they'll be there, so I should have 2 crew people to help.

Doesn't matter what you race or how you make the power, once you start trying to go fast, I mean really fast, not a 10 second street car.... you'll be doing alot more maintenance, trailering the car everywhere, and will have a support person with you, even if it's just to help you get lined up at the starting line It's just part of the game.

Last edited by JL ws-6; 02-26-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:26 AM
TECH Regular

yea, how much are those bottles? jezzz this nitrous BS is adding up quick?

OH YEA, how bout those nitrous jets.

knock on wood, I have never had belt problems, it seems like guys who have belt problems are the ones that just slap things together and hope for the best.

and it's just as easy for the nitrous guys to have similar problems, ie. nitrous backfires, i am sure it wouldn't take much to get that done.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:28 AM
Staging Lane

I was running one at a time on the 150 shot, so I wouldn't run out during races, but now I've added a second stage, 200 wet, direct port, for a total of 350 ! Have to upgrade the fuel system now... Had to add wheelie wheels !!! LOL

Quick Reply: Out with the old....In with the New!!!