Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

The Bonneville might be done for.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find the most common is 04-05 on the later stuff...
Old 03-10-2010, 01:57 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your going to go with car payments why would you get a used Jeep? I always figured go with an everyday car thats cheap as hell and you can pay cash for *cough* your 2,500.00 *cough* or go with a full blown new car and know what your getting from an odometer that says 0.

If I had a sports car I'd be driving another Chevy Cav or a used high mile Chevy Colbalt.... no need to have two nice cars. More for insurance, prob premium gas in both, worried about detailing both.... blah.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I disagree..depreciation on new stuff is outrageous. TBSS for example. What were they 40+ new?? You can scoop them with low miles low 20's high teens all day long. I dont think I will ever buy anything brand new...used deals are just too good
Old 03-10-2010, 02:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never been a fan of little cars. Plus having a house I want cargo room and the ability to tow. I'm open to other options. I mean I've considered a grand prix, but even when i had the bonneville I kinda wanted a 4x4. Plus if i ever get rear ended again it probably wont get totaled.

I can't afford a new 4x4 and I don't want to drive a cheesy rav4 or patriot or anything like that. I was averaging 20.5 mpg with the bonnie babying it. If i can get like 17mpg avg with the jeep I can live with that. I've considered older jeeps but I haven't found any I liked. I've considered some subaru's but the ones Ive seen can't tow, I'd like to be able to tow about 2500-3000lbs easily. I bought the Bonneville with 69k miles on it and it was awesome.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98hardtopSS
I disagree..depreciation on new stuff is outrageous. TBSS for example. What were they 40+ new?? You can scoop them with low miles low 20's high teens all day long. I dont think I will ever buy anything brand new...used deals are just too good
yeah brand new is a rip off, unless its a specialty car or something you REALLY want.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I get around 20 with my 4runner. Tows my boat just fine, goes absolutely anywhere off road. I have pulled out plenty of full size trucks. Mine is a limited with every option and it is in great shape. If you are looking for a good alternative, something 4wd. I highly recommend it
Old 03-10-2010, 02:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98hardtopSS
I get around 20 with my 4runner. Tows my boat just fine, goes absolutely anywhere off road. I have pulled out plenty of full size trucks. Mine is a limited with every option and it is in great shape. If you are looking for a good alternative, something 4wd. I highly recommend it

Yeah I'm thinking about those too. I hear toyota has good financing options right now too. Cause of all the flak they have been getting. Most I'm finding have a ton of miles though. I'm considering xterra's too, but they have no options, good prices though.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have been doing auto salvage for 8 years. In my opinion, do not buy a jeep. Esp. for that much cash. The last thing you want is to be making the payment and the motor is toast. On the other hand I know you take good care of your stuff, and that does make a difference...
Old 03-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Humanitarian

Get a used duramax rig.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Joe "Preachers Sheets" DIESO
Get a used duramax rig.
Now that I agree with. Duramax/allison combo cant be beat. But they are hard to find low miles and very expensive. This is one i am also looking for...plus they dont loan **** on anything 03 under or over 100k
Old 03-10-2010, 06:06 PM
11 Second Club

I'm leaning towards hemi again LOL if i go jeep
Still looking around. A xterra S with a 6sp would be kinda cool...
Old 03-11-2010, 07:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah those are nice, I really like the pathfinders as well. I test drove a 6spd FJ and I liked that as well. The styling isnt for everyone but I have always loved the LC's.

Id like a 4runner loaded with a v8
Old 03-11-2010, 08:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

I really really want a rangerover like an 03-04. I love the body style, i drove one and i fell in love with it. But i am scared to fix the small stuff...air compressors, elec problems that they are known for. BMW drivetrain which is good..18mpg and every option..
Old 03-11-2010, 09:16 AM
Humanitarian

BMW 7 series.....big *** Lexus.....Benz 500 (or 600), you'll get your comfort.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:22 AM
11 Second Club

OK I'm more narrowed down now.

I'm seriously looking at
05-06 Hemi GC's, and 05-06 Nissan Xterra's (6sp)
Insurance on the jeep is like $170 more.

The only car I have considered seriously is an 06 subaru legacy gt.

I have yet to find an older car that i can trust reliability wise. I mean if I was buying from a friend or family with a known history it be one thing. I just don't want a rusty crap box that needs this and that over the years. I want a change from fwd too, winters suck even though a grand prix is decent.

OH BTW regarding surcharge and responsibility of the guy in front of me. If everybody's story is the same, then full responsibility is the guy who hit me.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:41 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I do know 1 thing.Most of the Hemi motor's are POS's.

Just make sure whatever you get you are comfortable with the payments.I know they look good not but will they look good 4 years from now when you have a million miles on it and still paying.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
I do know 1 thing.Most of the Hemi motor's are POS's.

Just make sure whatever you get you are comfortable with the payments.I know they look good not but will they look good 4 years from now when you have a million miles on it and still paying.
Yeah I'm making sure to keep on the lower side and try to finance under 15k said and done. I will drive this car about 15,000 miles a year. I car pool to work and sometimes work remotely so it helps keep the miles down.

You really don't like the hemi's huh, I know you started tuning them. I know its no lsx, but this car I would just be driving normal, no modding or running it hard. Ive been in a Aspen with the hemi I thought it was pretty refined with decent power in a huge suv. I didn't realize they got 16 spark plugs though, lol.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Humanitarian

Dont even toss around the idea of a used Hemi. I know you want the Jeep for the comfort, the V8 and the space but I wouldnt even buy one new. I'd much rather have an Explorer. Isnt the Jeep's estimated MPG 16/21? You know your more likely to get 12/16.

Nissan Xterra's are one of the best Jap SUV's you can get, one of the best used trucks....someone in work has had two now, both with over 200,000 miles and neither of them needed anything aside from oil and basic maint.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Joe "Preachers Sheets" DIESO
Dont even toss around the idea of a used Hemi. I know you want the Jeep for the comfort, the V8 and the space but I wouldnt even buy one new. I'd much rather have an Explorer. Isnt the Jeep's estimated MPG 16/21? You know your more likely to get 12/16.

Nissan Xterra's are one of the best Jap SUV's you can get, one of the best used trucks....someone in work has had two now, both with over 200,000 miles and neither of them needed anything aside from oil and basic maint.
Yeah the jeep hemi guys avg 16-18, I do mostly highway all the time.
Ford ughhh.
4runners are tempting, but they got tons of miles on em' in my price range.
Trailblazers I think are ok, but my wife hates em'

I am intersted in the Xterra with the 6speed I will go drive one for sure.

Last edited by DannoWS6; 03-11-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:18 AM
Humanitarian

The Jeep is a decent all around SUV, I just dont like the brand, I dont like their motors and the issues I've seen (which may be old and a non issue but it still bothers me).

The Ford is a dream to drive, I drove a used one with 12,000 miles and I hated Ford, I'm talking I HATED them. I wouldnt even tarnish my turd and crap on a Ford but the Explorers are a dream. I'd buy one if I ever wanted an SUV in a second. I wouldnt even shop around. The drive, power and interior are perfect to me. I sat in one, started it and drove it around and man, I couldnt beleive it.

4 Runners are the same as Subaru's. No one wants to let them go, if they do they are going to have high miles, cost alot and if it's neither of those I'd worry it was given up because of hidden issues.

Trailblazers? Eh.... if it isnt a TBSS I think they are cheap little plastic turds. I just dont like them.....Suburban, Tahoe or nothing.

Xterra.....I dont like the drive of them or the interior but with this truck it's more function over form. Zterra does powertrain/drivetrain and general reliability the right way. If you want something that's built well and will last then go for it.

.........I'd never be able to keep a SUV clean with the roof being so high so I wouldnt buy one. My car purchases now come down to how clean I can keep the car. I know...lame.