Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

The Bonneville might be done for.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 02:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default The Bonneville might be done for.

Got rear ended on my way home last night from work on rt 2 stopped in traffic. Silverado slammed into the back of me and pushed the car into a jeep in front of me. Trunk is warped, back is all smashed, 1 qtr panel is bent, trunk door is bent up. front of car, bumper is cracked and pushed down, hood is pushed up a little and bent, both fender look to be ok, radiator is smashed.

Sucks I had the car driving mint just recently after fixing a few things.

Car has 97k on it, so i don't know if they are gonna total it or what, should know in a couple days. I really liked the car had all the bells and whistles and super comfy for the long commute with decent power, drove nice, solid front end. Guess we'll see what happens, just **** luck.

I wanted to pay the thing off and get back into the game with the TA, who knows now. If it doesn't get fixed I'll probably be looking for a 4x4, like a grand cherokee. guess well see.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a lot of damage and by my guess it had to be somewhere between concord and 95 with all the lights and the guy prob wasnt paying attention. I commute rt 2 from leominster to westwood off 95 everyday it sucks. Def go JEEP I love mine even though I have had to fix quite a lot of lil odds and ends over the time but it is a 94 ZJ
Old 03-02-2010, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

be a poser and get an STi or wrx to romp around in.
sucks but hopefully your okay.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:04 PM
11 Second Club

Happened right before the concord rotary pretty much at the MCI, I have no idea what the guy was doing, probably on his phone or some **** but who knows. Yeah I traded in a 93 jeep GC to get this car, so i am a little partial, that thing took a beating, tough little truck.

I still owe on the car and what I owe is like a grand under NADA suggested retail. I wouldn't mind getting the car fixed but I don't want something to bite me in the *** a year or 2 later.

If I need to get a new car,
And I don't get a jeep/truck (which I am pretty sure i would) I don't think an STI is in my price range or best interest. I want something comfy and If I went Subi it would be a newer legacy GT. Or domestic maybe a late model GTP. But I want a vehicle that can take the snow and tow if i am forced to buy something again.

I've been doing the rt2 95 commute for a long time, I wish people would just pay attention in the bumper to bumper rush hour crap.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They will total it.
Get something cheap.I use to drive $1-$2k cars back/forth from work.Then put the money into my TA.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry to hear Dan. Glad you are ok. Let me know if you need crash parts!!!
Old 03-02-2010, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

Sorry to hear the Bonny is all done. My mother has had her front bumper repaired 2 times and I believe the list price on that bumper cover is over $1200.00, so my guess is that they will total out your car. Too bad, one less GXP in the road, sad to see it die. I just hit 4000 miles in mine, I buy 2k shitboxes to commute in too.
Glad you are ok, that is the most important thing!
Old 03-03-2010, 07:33 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah worst case I just hope everything is covered loan wise if deemed a total loss. I'd just need to get NADA suggested retail and I'd be fine.

Sucks this pic was from Sept/Oct last year with about 90k on it, I certainly took care of it.

I attached pics of the damage below. I had to open the trunk to get stuff out and of course after it didn't close. I'd have to guess this is over 7k in damage and I would need a complete paint job. What you don't see is the damage behind the trunk and the bumpers. NADA lists the car at 11k with its current mileage in good shape. I'll tell you what its a solid car for taking a hit from a silverado probably going 25-30mph.

If it's totalled I don't know what I'd get next newer/older, I'm no stranger to driving beaters, but coming from this car it would be tough. Dual auto climate control, chromatic mirrors, heated mirrors, power everything, heated seats, memory, HUD, comfy leather/suade, roof, and a sweet running northstar
Attached Thumbnails The Bonneville might be done for.-0830091833-large-.jpg   The Bonneville might be done for.-0302000921-large-.jpg   The Bonneville might be done for.-0302000922-large-.jpg   The Bonneville might be done for.-0302000923a-large-.jpg   The Bonneville might be done for.-0302000923-large-.jpg  

Old 03-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Sucks to hear the car's a mess, at least you're o.k, that's the important part.

Driving a beater sucks, because they're never comfortable or nice.... but you don't have to care about it, just keep tires and brakes on it, and change the oil...

I've considered getting a 500 dollar beater to take to work, being I drive 60 miles a day... I like my truck though, I can see far and wide with it as high up as it is, the mpg isn't great but it's not terrible (about 18 mpg, diesel, going an av of about 75, or stop and go on the way home for 10 miles UGH) and the comfort is decent.... rides stiff but I can live with that.

Worst part is the jeep taht you hit, because you were rear ended, you're responsible for. That's the crappy part of those deals.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:14 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Looks like an easy $5k in damage.

Truthfully,for a 6year old car you shouldn't owe much.
What I would do.If it's wrecked and hopefully they pay it off, buy a beater -cash and drive it till you save $$ for a better car.I doubt you really need a car payment while paying for a house at this time.I hate car payments.Bought my truck in 05 and payed it off in 07. Bought a 08 Minivan and paid it off last week.Feels alot better without those payments.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:40 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah I drive over 100 miles a day, Since I'm spending a good chunk of my life in a car it sucks to drive crap.

I don't know how insurance will treat the guy in front of me. I know my father was in a collision where 2 cars were hit in front of him and his policy never claimed him responsible. I was also at a complete stop, even still maybe the 50% fault rule might apply. If it matters the damage to the jeep looks to be under $1000, looks like it just needs paint on the bumper. it's crap though I was at a complete stop and had plenty of distance from that car under normal driving conditions. My Dad seemed to reassure me about it, and online I've found various scenarios saying one thing or another...

Yeah the car is 6yrs old, but i've only owned it for 2.5yrs and when i bought it it was a good 2-3 grand below BB.

I'm hoping I hear something soon so I can figure out whats gonna happen. Damn rental place is checking in with me all the time for status, fricken pain. I don't have rental coverage but it should be claimed against the other guys policy, which they have info on.

Last edited by DannoWS6; 03-03-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:53 PM
TECH Resident

You're certainly not on the hook for the rental, keep it for as long as you need it, the other guy's insurance has to pay for it. I also can't see how you could be held responsible for the damage to the Jeep, that wouldn't make any sense. All the damage that occured is 100% the pickup driver's fault.

The car doesn't look as bad as I would have pictured. The truck definitely wasn't going anywhere near 25 mph, I know 25mph doesn't sound fast but if a 4500 pound pickup hits a stationary object at that speed there will not be much left, the car would be about the size of an armchair.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:24 PM
TECH Junkie

you can repair that car fairly cheap buying used parts, doesnt look that bad.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

I already checked on used parts for him....bumpers are GXP only, along with the correct lid.
600 on the lid with correct spoiler GXP
450 on the hood
FBR GXP - 483 cost 721 list
RBR GXP - 456 cost 681 list

I would buy it back if they total it. Fix the rear and throw a hood on it.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:29 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It doesnt matter if the guy who hit him pushed him into the car in front, the point is Dan hit the guy in front of him and they dont really dig deeper then that up front. Even if Dan goes to court the judge is going to tag the guy who his Dan....then Dan's insurance will have to pay for the car he hit. What will likely happen is Dan will get paid from the guy who hit him, Dan's insurance will pay the guy that Dan hit but sue the guy who hit Dan for the cost and everything will resolve itself.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:57 AM
11 Second Club

UPDATE

As of right now the adjuster wants to fix it. Its getting towed to the shop this week. When it comes down to it for me its my better option. The adjuster did make the comment on it being a very unique/rare car and having it own version of body panels/parts.

I personally know that mechanically it's solid. So maybe the bonneville will be back in action. I should know the extent of the damage once they pull the panels off, he seems to think the frame was ok.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

yea they better fix it like the damage coul be way worse rear quarter panels, bumpers hood, fenders? and paint from the looks. I feel ya on the 100 mile commute same here i hated driving my 96 altima i got for a grand until I totalled it and picked up my Z28
Old 03-04-2010, 11:42 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CrazyDrivinJoe
yea they better fix it like the damage coul be way worse rear quarter panels, bumpers hood, fenders? and paint from the looks. I feel ya on the 100 mile commute same here i hated driving my 96 altima i got for a grand until I totalled it and picked up my Z28
only bad fender is 1 rear quarter, so i got lucky on that one.

Atleast something is happening, sucks waiting before hand. I'll know more once they dig into it. Front end damage is mostly cosmetic atleast. The Poncho side of me is kinda glad they atleast want to give it a shot to put it back together.

I think because the guy hit me square it saved the frame.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:53 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

When I crashed my car the front looked like that.It cost almost $4k to fix.The rear is probly an easy $3-$4k to fix too.

Just make sure you have a good body shop do the work.If you have a hack/slash place do it the price will be cheaper but all the bent crap won't be replaced and can easilly bring down the value of the vehicle.You want all the damaged parts replaced with new parts,expecially since it's not your insurance.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:03 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah the place its going to has a pretty good rep. The frame guy is my cousin. We had my wifes G6 worked on there when somebody sideswipped her fender.

I'm going down there Saturday. I'd post the place, but I don't wanna get an infraction or anything I'll do my best to let them know my expectations as well.

New cars it doesn't take much damage to soak up 5k, especially in the front end.