Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

The Bonneville might be done for.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 07:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL that is just a sickness. Choosing cars by how clean you can keep them. Detail much??

Agreed on the Trailblazer. But the SS is just bad ***
Old 03-12-2010, 08:10 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just look at it with $$ being the point.

In todays market when everybody is getting laid off,why put out another monthly payment?Expecially on a DD car with just a purpose to go to work?I could see if it's your only vehicle but with another "sports" car on the side I don't see the point.

I just think how it's nice to save the monthly payment and be more comfortable with paying the mortgage and home improvement's without going into more debt.I've been through it many times already.In my eye's it's not worth buying if you can't pay it off within 2 years.

On a side note,I would love to sell my truck and get something newer.Just not worth it to take on another payment.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive an 02 Exploder at work with a 4.0 V6 and automatic 4WD and it does drive pretty nice. You can get over 20 mpg highway with the V6.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

What about a Blazer ZR-2. Cheap, pretty mean looking and easy as hell to get parts for...If I didn't drive almost 100 miles a day I'd have one as my beater.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:02 AM
11 Second Club

Well Its done.

I couldn't pull the trigger on the Jeep. Didn't want to finance a 5yr old car for another 5yrs. (especially a complex dodge). Insurance on the jeep was a little bit higher, the hemi I drove I could watch the gas needle move. Don't get me wrong I Love driving the jeep. Drives great, good 4wd system good ride hight and seat position. Maybe some other time I'll look into it. This does have more cabin space and makes for a better hwy cruiser.

Well this car should last me a while. Does what I need it to do, still has almost a 3yr drivetrain warranty, and I got a good financing rate. Handles a little squishy to my liking, lot of understeer. But hey its not a sports car.

2008 Envoy SLE2
Its got some nice options (running boards, fogs, roof, power seat, hitch, etc.), not like the bonnie but decent. Oh and I should mention its got a lot more cabin space than the jeep and I dig the color.

Attached some crappy cell pics, it wasn't the best weather to look at cars.
Attached Thumbnails The Bonneville might be done for.-0313001708a-large-.jpg   The Bonneville might be done for.-0313001709-large-.jpg  

Last edited by DannoWS6; 03-15-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool, the resale vaule on those suck *** so hopefully someone else's loss is your gain. It's hard to get a good deal without going into debt for 5 years. Any car I ever get in the future will be a 3 year loan. 5 year loans used to be unheard of and now they have 6 year loans.

Looks like the new age Chevy Blazer. Its not bad, you'll get the middle ground of traction/payload/horsepower/cargo space/mpg. It'll do everything you need and more.

How does it drive? Snap some interior pictures next time.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Joe "Preachers Sheets" DIESO
Cool, the resale vaule on those suck *** so hopefully someone else's loss is your gain. It's hard to get a good deal without going into debt for 5 years. Any car I ever get in the future will be a 3 year loan. 5 year loans used to be unheard of and now they have 6 year loans.

Looks like the new age Chevy Blazer. Its not bad, you'll get the middle ground of traction/payload/horsepower/cargo space/mpg. It'll do everything you need and more.

How does it drive? Snap some interior pictures next time.

Yeah I didn't steal it by any means, but I got a decent deal and a good rate (below NADA). It does have about 50k for mileage, but they are easy miles and the truck drove like new and looked new (front end felt tight, all the doors had a nice sound closing) You'd never guess it had the miles. It fits my needs and looks better than many other SUV's. It does make 290hp and can tow 5500lbs, it makes the Jeep v6 feel like a toilet. Interior is typical GM. I went with cloth as the leather they use in the LTZ is way cheap looking. Better in the Denali, but thats over my price range. Also the interior is black/gray. I liked it better than the LTZ, which had that cheap wood looking plastic stuff in it. Inside its like a slightly better looking silverado interior.

I'll just keep driving this truck if it treats me well, for well over the period I financed for, doesn't bother me. Its old tech but its reliable and gets ok mileage for a truck/suv. I am not super happy about how it handles. I mean it handles great for a comfy ride, but you feel a little disconnected from the road. It absorbed bumps and gives a smooth ride, but it understeers and floats a bit more than I'd like. I might throw a better sway bar on it and down the road maybe look for a deal on some 18"s instead of the 17's. Think of driving a silverado, just a bit lower and squishier. Those pics i took last minute, I was at the dealership for 7hrs , it was a last minute photo. I'm taking the truck home tomorrow so i can take a few more then. Guess I'm still a GM guy at heart. I was able to keep my payments almost the same as the bonneville by putting down just a little more over what I got from the accident. So hopefully I'll pay it off in closer to 4yrs if things work out.

The wife has a G6 GT that avg's like 26mpg, so its not my only driver.
(Oh and don't worry Joe, I can wash the roof by standing on the running boards )

(BTW 2010 Buick Lacross, absolutely georgous)

Last edited by DannoWS6; 03-15-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:46 PM
11 Second Club

Oh as far as loans go. When I bought the TA. I financed for 7yrs...
The things we do... But hey 9-10yrs later I still got it. Not wise, but then again had I of not done it I wouldn't of met good peeps like you guys
Old 03-15-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Junkie

u should of bought my SS
Old 03-16-2010, 05:27 AM
Launching!

Looks good Dan. When we installing the "header" on that I-6?
Old 03-16-2010, 08:00 AM
Humanitarian

Yea the GM leather is some of the worst crap I have seen in a long long time. It becomes so brittle so fast, it cracks, fades, hardens and just gets so shiny and cheesy looking.

You did the right thing when you bought something with the miles....there is only so much you can know about the truck so you test out the tranny shifts, test the doors, look at the seals, seat bolsters, feel for front end/bearing issues, brakes, shocks blah blah blah. Pimping out that truck is like trying to shine a turd (the truck isnt a turd but you know the old saying)....in the end it's still a turd. No need for the LTZ, leather and all of that stuff unless your going with the Caddy or Denali.

I wouldn't care about the ride, the more connected to the road the stiffer the ride will have to be. You should be cruising between 60-75 in that truck and it should be more then safe. Coming from the Bonny to the truck will make you feel weird but after a while you'll get used to it and maybe enjoy it more. With the larger wheels your messing with the un-sprung weight and altering the suspension that the wheel/tire/shock/spring combo was made for. I wouldn't do it. Drive it like a truck, just cruise it around, save gas, enjoy the soft ride and keep it in one piece.

Oh and detail it! If them paint doesn't bead word has it that means you've got a small *****.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:27 AM
11 Second Club

LOL it was beading when I bought it, see above pics. I told the saleman the guy who owned this before must of had a big *****.

I picked up up yesterday, but man they did a crap job of "detailing" it, didn't even dress the tires. I'll need to give it a good job soon. Its got some hairlines and very minor swirls on the hood so it needs just a little love. Front bumper looks like your typical bumper with 50k miles. Drives great though and gets better mpg then I thought, I like it. Paint looks different in the sun, its so dark it sometimes looks black or looks like really dark blue with a tinge of purple if the sun hits it right. Its the same color as my dads silverado.

I didn't take any pics, as my folks finished basement flooded monday and I've spent the last couple days there removing water non stop 24 hrs a day. Just took a couple hrs to get the truck. horrible
Old 03-19-2010, 06:26 AM
11 Second Club

Quick bath, really does look kinda purple in direct sunlight. Its nice to ride up high again and have more room, but I miss the old car, thing was so comfortable.

I got a porter cable kit on the way, no way am I waxing this thing by hand.
Attached Thumbnails The Bonneville might be done for.-0318001700-large-.jpg   The Bonneville might be done for.-0318001701-large-.jpg   The Bonneville might be done for.-0318001701a-large-.jpg   The Bonneville might be done for.-0318001704-large-.jpg   The Bonneville might be done for.-0318001702-large-.jpg  

Last edited by DannoWS6; 03-19-2010 at 06:38 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:52 AM
Humanitarian

It's not that bad it's just not loading with all of the fancy **** but you didnt buy the truck for that. Keep it clean, maintained and try to get a long life out of it.

PC eh! Nice, you'll be a professional detailer in no time :-) Let me know when you detail the beast.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:03 PM
11 Second Club

I really like this vortec 4200 motor. Based on what I've looked up its an awesome realiable motor. Can't even tell its running and has enough power to atleast not feel like a dog.

I've done some calcs of my fuel economy in this thing.
Think about it 4500lbs curb weight. Brick aerodynamics, 3 passengers. 70% hwy driving 60-70mph, regular 87.

This week I am getting atleast 19.2 mpg avg. I must be getting like 23 hwy.

I am very happy w/ that.