Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

pool info?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default pool info?

Hey guys,
After yesterdays 100+ day, I have seriously thought about purchasing an inground pool. I feel as though there are a billion pool companies out there in New England and want to deal with a reputable company. I don't really need anything fancy, just a basic inground pool, fencing (state law) and possibly lighting and diving board options. I have NO cluse what size or deminsions. I'd like either a basic rectangle or "lagoon" style. I have no clue where to start so I'm in limbo right now. All I know is I have plenty of land to build, so what's next? LOL

Ideas? Suggestions?
Old 07-07-2010, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a pool for a long time. No idea what the market is like these days, but I will say that when I went to renew the home owners insurance, they did not like the fact that we had a diving board, so I removed it, took a pic and they were happy.

FWIW, I bet most people, that aren't a total spaz, could build there own in ground or above ground pool themselves.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:42 PM
11 Second Club

LOL, I thought you were joking.

If your serious I'd start with "Surfside pool". I think a typical 24" above ground with filter and everything is probably like $2500-3k. But you can build em yourself with a couple guys for probably under 2.

In-ground it depends on size and options, liner, concrete, etc...
If you get one and they offer a paver patio option, don't forget I can get the hookup on the stone mason stuff if you just get the pool.

They can be big bucks, for something simple installed, you are probably still talking nearly 20k for like a basic 18x36 and it goes up from there.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28

FWIW, I bet most people, that aren't a total spaz, could build there own in ground
I watched my neighbor do just that and I have no idea where or how he saved any money doing it that way. I don't recommend doing that unless you have access to excavation equipment, trucks and a lot of free time. I had my liner pool installed running concrete poured and fenced in 10 days. It took my neighbor 3 months lol. The pool co did just the pool I did the conc deck and grade wall and a friend who owns a fence co took care of that part.

I do recommend if it's offered to look into a salt system for the pool. We did a salt system and I love it. What is easier to balance and there is no chlorine burn, smell or taste.
Attached Thumbnails pool info?-dsc00169.jpg   pool info?-pool-liner-2.jpg   pool info?-pool-conc-2.gif   pool info?-pool-4.jpg   pool info?-penny-jump.jpg  

Old 07-07-2010, 08:26 PM
11 Second Club

I know my old bosses pool ran well north of 30k to put in. I bought my house with the pool already in, it is a 20x40, they just had the liner and decking re-done on the pool and it was about 10k for all of that. Glad they did it before we purchased the house otherwise it probably would have been filled in!!
Old 07-07-2010, 08:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BoostedLT5
I know my old bosses pool ran well north of 30k to put in. I bought my house with the pool already in, it is a 20x40, they just had the liner and decking re-done on the pool and it was about 10k for all of that. Glad they did it before we purchased the house otherwise it probably would have been filled in!!
Mine is 20x40 and it was 35k with the heater(2500) and salt system(1900) not including the concrete, fence, grade wall, or 15'x46' pergola. That was 3 years ago and a concrete pool(150 s.f. smaller) heater(no salt system) was 42-45k without any decking.

I had no issues with my home owners had no issue with the diving board, I just increase my liability with cost me an additional $100 a year
Old 07-08-2010, 07:49 AM
Launching!

Thanks Devilish. I was pretty much looking at that info.

My plan was salted, heated, patio and fencing for now, with building deck later. I wouldn't mind spending up to 20-25k, but knowing it's MUCH more I'd rather build the garage or buy another car. LOL.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:47 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MaSTi
Thanks Devilish. I was pretty much looking at that info.

My plan was salted, heated, patio and fencing for now, with building deck later. I wouldn't mind spending up to 20-25k, but knowing it's MUCH more I'd rather build the garage or buy another car. LOL.
The co that did my pool had smaller in ground liner pools installed w/3' of concrete for under 20k(that was 3yrs ago).Not sure what it's like up there
down here I've heard ppl have been getting some good deals. The garage will bring more as far as home value but I'd still would shop the pool. You never know you might find a steal....
Old 07-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Launching!

yeah that's my plan. I'll shop around and see what I can get for the 20-25k range. I at LEAST want inground/salt/heated. I assume in this economy I can get a steal, but ya never know. I'm gonna try and get a few quotes as well as insurance cost for here in MA.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:43 PM
8 Second Club

I have a 24 x 38 pool and its more work then its worth
Old 07-08-2010, 07:01 PM
11 Second Club

yeah that's my plan. I'll shop around and see what I can get for the 20-25k range. I at LEAST want inground/salt/heated. I assume in this economy I can get a steal, but ya never know. I'm gonna try and get a few quotes as well as insurance cost for here in MA.
Two words for you...Solar Cover....... It reduced filter run time by 3-4 hrs bc it reduced chlorine burn off. It also reduced night time evaporation... It was the best $175 spent
Old 07-08-2010, 07:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSPerformance
I have a 24 x 38 pool and its more work then its worth
How old?? Conc/gunite or liner? Chlorine or Salt??

I remember taking care of my parents pool and it was a lot of work. My pool is bigger than what I grew up with and if far less work. Both are/were liner and but mine is a salt and really easy to maintain
Old 07-08-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine is for sale, water included. Shipping is extra. Best Offer!

Pools can be a pain in the *** and you only get about 3 months of use out of them (Northeast). They are nice when it`s 95 deg. out or for the kids if you have them. The past couple of weeks have been hot and it`s nice when you get home fill the cooler with beer, put some tunes on and float on a tube.

My house already had the pool when we moved in, if it was me I would get a nice above-ground pool and build a deck around it, it`s cheaper and when you get tired of it, you can just tear it down.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Launching!

yeah I thought about that as well. Deck + above ground would still be a nice option. I'm just torn on what to do. My ultimate plans for the house was garage, pool, and deck. I just had to figure out some type of order.

The main reason pool came into play was this past week has been HOT. With the baby I need to do something wether it'd be pool, central air, or AC window units!! How to spread the cash is what it's becoming.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:12 PM
11 Second Club

If i could only pick one it be central ac.

Why not just get a nice above ground for a few grand. Way cheaper and gets the job done. Pools are a PIA either way, cleaning, buying chemicals, closing/opening for the seasons. Paying to run the filter, etc...

That's why I wouldn't get one, but I think you should so i can come over and use it.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
If i could only pick one it be central ac.

Why not just get a nice above ground for a few grand. Way cheaper and gets the job done. Pools are a PIA either way, cleaning, buying chemicals, closing/opening for the seasons. Paying to run the filter, etc...

That's why I wouldn't get one, but I think you should so i can come over and use it.
I agree. Above ground has many advantages and if you do a nice deck it wont be such an eye sore, plus you can store stuff underneath the deck. Money will be leftover for AC.

Central AC won't cost so much if you already have the duct work. Or there are other ways to get a good AC set up without the duct work or window units.

You could check with Falite Bros if you're in the Boston area and ask for Johnny Mac. Tell him "Bone" sent you and he'll hook you up with a good deal.

http://www.falitebros.com/
Old 07-09-2010, 08:12 PM
Launching!

I agree. Above ground has many advantages and if you do a nice deck it wont be such an eye sore, plus you can store stuff underneath the deck. Money will be leftover for AC.

Central AC won't cost so much if you already have the duct work. Or there are other ways to get a good AC set up without the duct work or window units.

You could check with Falite Bros if you're in the Boston area and ask for Johnny Mac. Tell him "Bone" sent you and he'll hook you up with a good deal.

http://www.falitebros.com/
Good to know, thanks for the info. I'm more central MA up by the NH border.

I'll consider an above ground with deck at this rate. I'd almost prefer the garge over those options. Now.....if I can convince her parents to buy at least half I could get the pool, garage, AND AC units. LOL
Old 07-09-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

Good to know, thanks for the info. I'm more central MA up by the NH border.

I'll consider an above ground with deck at this rate. I'd almost prefer the garge over those options. Now.....if I can convince her parents to buy at least half I could get the pool, garage, AND AC units. LOL
Always good when the in-laws kick in, as long as they dont become a fixture at your place lol

Im pretty sure they cover all of Southern NE, but just the same, my friend John can hook you up. He can design it and get you great prices on the equipment, and maybe even install it as a side job....or you can go through the company lol

The water was up to 86 today. Sooo nice! And thats without a heater or thermal cover.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

Always good when the in-laws kick in, as long as they dont become a fixture at your place lol

Im pretty sure they cover all of Southern NE, but just the same, my friend John can hook you up. He can design it and get you great prices on the equipment, and maybe even install it as a side job....or you can go through the company lol

The water was up to 86 today. Sooo nice! And thats without a heater or thermal cover.

Same here solar cover and the water temp was 92 tonight and the air temp is 78 ish here...
Old 07-19-2010, 02:58 PM
11 Second Club

My pool is too hot now, its not refreshing to go in anymore!! haha. Any of you guys in central ma feel free to stop by and jump in, I have the damn thing and barely use it. I am in Sutton, come on by, I'll provide the pool you bring the beer!