Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Yet Another Northern VA Emissions Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 11:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet Another Northern VA Emissions Question

But this one is slightly different than the others I've read via the search function, so please help a brother out.

I live in Fairfax county and I drive a 2002 Z28 with a catted full exhaust swap, nine inch rear, 410 gears, and a few other minor mods. It was tuned by PSI up in Glenn Burnie and it runs like a champ.

My question is about the SES light. Jeff up at PSI told me that it would be on constantly since I had the exhaust swap and he was right, but like I said the car runs fine.

However, I just took it into a local well-respected shop (ie. not Currys - who done me wrong big time before but that's another thread) and the shop manager told me that just the SES light being tripped would fail the car even if it would pass a straight tailpipe test. I need to get my license plate renewed next month and as I understand it here in Fairfax they do the OBD thing only.

Is he right? If so, how can I make the SES light turn off?

Do I have to get it retuned and then re-retune it after the inspection if I want to keep the same performance level? Are there any good tuners within the NOVA area who could do this?

I'd hate to have to drive up to PSI, drive home to get it inspected, and then drive back, but if that's what it takes I'll do it.

I'm pretty ignorant technically (I just drive 'em and I haven't had the time or location to teach myself how to fix 'em yet) so can someone please help? Any other ways to deal with this would be appreciated too.

Thanks in advance. I know someone out there can help me.

EDIT: Wow! I just saw this thread ( https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-m...-maryland.html ) about PSI. Is it still open? The lawsuit took place after the last time I went there. So where's a good place to get performance work done close to NOVA?

Last edited by Mister Hand; 07-30-2010 at 11:16 AM. Reason: New Info.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yes, they will fail you on SES light alone. At least that has been my experience. But fi you car has been tuned, why is the SES light even on? shouldnt it be tuned out??? Honestly that is what im confused about. As for other shops in NOVA, One of the better tuners that i like is Frost, down in richmond. It might not be the shortest Drive, but hes really good.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:43 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got alot of customers from up your way. I'm very familiar with setting them up to pass NoVa emissions. FWIW, your SES shouldn't be on.

I'm sure Frost can take of you too.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

they are right your ses light shouldn't be on..u need to get it retuned. I personally have gone to frost to tune both of the cars i have had and he is top notch. One thing you also need to remember though is that sometimes even though your ses light isn't on your computer wont be ready and you can still get turned away at inspection. It happened to me when i first got my current car and i had to drive it around for a week or so after the ses light had been taken care of in order for the computer to read correctly. If you still have problems there are other ways to take care of the inspection thing..pm me if u need details on that
Old 07-31-2010, 08:19 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by quiet_storm98
they are right your ses light shouldn't be on..u need to get it retuned. I personally have gone to frost to tune both of the cars i have had and he is top notch. One thing you also need to remember though is that sometimes even though your ses light isn't on your computer wont be ready and you can still get turned away at inspection. It happened to me when i first got my current car and i had to drive it around for a week or so after the ses light had been taken care of in order for the computer to read correctly. If you still have problems there are other ways to take care of the inspection thing..pm me if u need details on that
I can take care of the monitors too.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by quiet_storm98
What he said on his last sentence..