cops in ma can they LEGALLY do this...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BLUES MAN
^

yes we do have seizure law.

but i dissagree with you on them being the worst for writing tickets. never recieved a citation in my life. and yes ive deserved a few of them.

maybe they give you a prob cause your from jersey. just sayin....
wrong. i lived there and they were JOs. and they are the worst.

http://www.motorists.org/press/speed...ckets-by-state
Old 09-07-2010, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

va has the seizure law 2 u dont get ur car back and they dont auction it off either they crush it
Old 09-07-2010, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LSwut
that cop must hate summer nationals
hilarious you said that! cause as he was leaving he told me "summer nationals is over...."
Old 09-07-2010, 05:41 PM
The House is Rockin'

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
wrong. i lived there and they were JOs. and they are the worst.

http://www.motorists.org/press/speed...ckets-by-state

well maybe i was (and still am) lucky.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
They absolutley have the right to remove the sticker. I've even heard of them removing license plates in the OWNERS yard.

Also, the law states that ANY modification to items such as exhaust must remain OE stock. So even 50 state legal items are technically not legal according to the law.

Though you definately got singled out and it's shitty, be carefull of what you say and don't say in court.
mass law 90/16 does state you cannot have a "modified factory exhaust in wich case to increase noise... cannot have a cut out or hollowed out muffler.. blah blah...." key word here being "modified" with the examples of modifications listed so technically a "replaced" exhaust isnt illegal if the car still passes inspection. its like what happens if your factory exhaust is damaged or falling apart? well you have to replace it with something and it has to allow the car to still pass inspection so really "modified" and "replaced" are 2 diff categories and when i bring a copy of 90/16 to court ill read it word for word and state that this is what is written into law and i do not apply... well not anyomore as with pictures of my car with a full catted mufflered "replaced" exhaust thatll ill have to show as well along with my BRAND NEW reinspection sticker that i just got!... ive got more proof against the cop and proving my knowledge of 90/16 has helped me many times before
Old 09-07-2010, 09:28 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Just don't go in there with a know it all attitude. Nothing worse than watching a guy take a beating from the Judge.

Not that I've been there before...
Old 09-07-2010, 09:34 PM
The House is Rockin'

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
Just don't go in there with a know it all attitude. Nothing worse than watching a guy take a beating from the Judge.

Not that I've been there before...

ohh im sure, just seen it on court-tv im guessing?
Old 09-08-2010, 09:11 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by C Murda
hilarious you said that! cause as he was leaving he told me "summer nationals is over...."
I was gonna say something along those lines too.
That sucks, sounds like that guy was real bored or something.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:55 AM
11 Second Club

How loud is your car? Also was it a city or state cop that got you? Looks like I will be avoiding Worcester with my car, not that I really needed another reason to, the city is a dump anyhow....
Old 09-09-2010, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It all boils down to personality. If the guy is a level headed type of reasonable person, hopefully they let you go with a warning. If he's got an attitude, then you need to kiss his ***, act all timid, and empower his ego a little bit. The type of guy that gets an ego boost from sticking a ticket up your *** can usually be spoon fed an ego boost in a different way to help you avoid a ticket.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

I never drive my Formula in Worcester, not after my summer nats experience.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:16 AM
11 Second Club

i would bring up his comment about the summer nationals to the judge though. Its pretty unprofessional thing for him to say. His comment alone shows he singled you out. He obviously has a problem with muscle cars.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm thinking some part of the story is missing here. What were you doing that you got pulled over? How was your attitude?
Old 09-27-2010, 10:31 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He may of not been doing anything. I was just stopped again yesterday by a state cop. He was a grade A **** sucker. Busting my ***** for 20 minutes just grilling me in a loud voice like an *******. I got to the point where I told him "just search the car if you want to, I dont care, if you want to just go ahead". He stopped me for no reason, there was no cell phone on, no weaving, seal belt was on, no speeding or anything. I pulled out of a parking lot and BAM he's there within 10 feet. I stop at a light in another 50 feet. As soon as the light goes green his strobes come on. The cop wouldnt tell me to get out so he kept peering in the windows and stuff. As he's peering through the tint and after 15 minutes I was really starting to hope he'd let me go or offically search the car to at least start the process so I could get out of there. I told him "look all you want" and rolled the windows down. If he made me get out of the car; before I did I was going to ask him for his badge and station because I felt my ***** were being busted for no good reason.

Little did I know, the McDonald's I went to.....that was filled with 15+ opiate druggies jonsing for a hit was being staked out. They saw me, the only sober one walk in....sit down and eat then leave 10 minutes later. My buddy said the cops probably thought I sold something to them since thats where they all hang out waiting for their dealer to swing by.

You dont have to be doing **** to get stopped, wrong time and the wrong place or just a pissed off cop who doesnt like the way your face looks, your car or your perfume. Who knows.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

I know DOT cops/troopers can do this but usually they only do roadside inspections on commercial trucks and such. their is a DOT trooper roaming around cape cod in a un-marked black charger FYI since most trucks on cape cod are over weight and there was a few accidents this summer involving over loaded trucks. one of my moms company vehicles was slightly rear-ended by an over loaded box truck which also got rear ended by another over weight truck behind it, it was a minor accident but they closed down the highway for hours in the middle of summer so the DOT cops could come an weigh them.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:26 AM
TECH Regular

Thats crazy that happened in Worcester... that cop must of been having a bad day or something. They usually don't care.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:56 AM
12 Second Club

I don't believe that he can scrape off your reg sticker,
Technically he could have bagged you for failure to display proof of registration as you pulled away. I've had my share of bad cops in a few states.
He's probably some ***** that got bullied in school and is still pissed at the cool kids with nice cars. My suggestion is to document everything that occured that night and bring it to court with you, get your car "fixed" and avoid the area he's in
Old 11-15-2010, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

Sounds extactly why sometimes I LOVE driving in MD. Then again we have some of the same retarded laws. Just i have nEVER heard or seen them inforced before.

The removing of the sticker seems a little drastic. Not sure if it is legal or not. But if yoru car had issues the judge is going to side with him in EITHER case of legality.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:37 PM
Teching In

I don't think they can really do that but then again they are cops and they can pretty much do as they please...... SUCKS
Old 11-17-2010, 06:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cops suck JMO