Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

11.25 @ 125 :/ spinning

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brandon just give me a call when you going i got the Bogarts ready so we can work on the suspension and get the 60's in check.

Greg see ya at the track soon watch out Joe's getting closer in the Vert.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:19 PM
10 Second Club

Cool

Originally Posted by DadsZ28
Hey Marc, how ya doin? Novembers coming, see ya down there soon?
Hey Greg, I've been racing all year in the Corvette Challenge series (Pro 11.50 index) at Englishtown but that's over in a couple of weeks and then yes, I'll hopefully be visiting Atco a few times on my quest for another tenth if it's possible.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Reaper SS
Brandon just give me a call when you going i got the Bogarts ready so we can work on the suspension and get the 60's in check.

Greg see ya at the track soon watch out Joe's getting closer in the Vert.
Yea I told him we will hook up before the end of the year, our cars are really close should be a good race.
Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Hey Greg, I've been racing all year in the Corvette Challenge series (Pro 11.50 index) at Englishtown but that's over in a couple of weeks and then yes, I'll hopefully be visiting Atco a few times on my quest for another tenth if it's possible.
Looking forward to racing with ya at atco Marc, always a fun time.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:51 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DadsZ28
Looking forward to racing with ya at atco Marc, always a fun time.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think 26" tires will still be hard to hook with.

Throw some 28" slicks on, and more gear if it needs it.

I was cutting low 1.5 60's with stock internals and an M6, 28"ers helped a lot.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:18 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ATwelveSec02Z28
I think 26" tires will still be hard to hook with.

Throw some 28" slicks on, and more gear if it needs it.
Yeah that's another option, some 4.30s or 4.56s with 28" tires maybe. But he does still drive it on the street a lot so he'd likely have to get some taller street tires as well.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:43 PM
10 Second Club

dont worry, ive already been thinking about 28s and 4.56s. when i go the gears, im redoing the rear, ie. gun drilled axles star flange and spool
Old 10-28-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
A M6 car needs the Bias ply, period. With out it, your just fighting with the car and thats no fun on race day.

Playing with shocks are key, as well as considering a 2 step if your still having issues.
Where do people get this from. Easier maybe. Not period.

how many other 3500 lb cam only stick cars have been 10.80 at 3500 lbs? With as small a cam? I cant honestly say i think my car would have gone faster on a slick. If you think so, but I think it was working it pretty good, 1.47 60 anyway

Dont believe the hype, stick cars can work on a radial, Ive done it, like a couple years ago. Takes more to get it right, but then again doesnt everything

If you want to come down for the cam only class at Import vs Domestic we have a set of pretty fresh 26" slicks to get rid of cheap, might have an ol set of the 275 i run

Last edited by GrannySShifting; 10-28-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:49 PM
10 Second Club

hmmm maybe.... i just got my new wheels in today, they have the hoosier qtps on them
Old 10-29-2010, 06:58 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by GrannySShifting
Where do people get this from. Easier maybe. Not period.

Dont believe the hype, stick cars can work on a radial, Ive done it, like a couple years ago. Takes more to get it right, but then again doesnt everything

Drag radials are one of the most inconsistant tires out there (for 6 speed cars). For max effort, max results your not going to have that and consistancy. At best the car has to run slower than its potential in order to have that. A DR can possibly have the fastest single run but the other 9 most times are all over the place.

Stop fighting the car and run what make sense.

Like it really matters anyways when you start to go fast, most class rules makes it almost impossible to run competitivly with a manual even if its a faceplated trans. The ONLY set up that I have seen work is a Soft-lok clutch, too pricey for street use but ideal for track only.....

http://www.mcleodracing.com/products...lt.asp?id=5174

Right now the Hype is Drag Radials and based on what you have said, I do not see anything showing me what you run different to get the radial to work.

BUT IMO I will say a 2 step is required, running the tallest/widest DR (prob M/T), then getting a clutch assembly to help put "slip" into the launch. Then a trans that allows for clean shifting.

I hate to get heated about this but when someone tells me something and at face value I have to take the answer, meh. It really does not help.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:12 AM
Internet Mechanic

Afterthought:

Anyone that has good ideas to help get m6 cars working on the radial or bias ply, feel free to post it up!
Old 10-29-2010, 08:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i cut 1.40 to 1.45's all day long on bias ply's. radials were too incosistent and required slipping the clutch, which hurt my clutch and wouldnt let me shift. now on a soft lock or slipper style clutch i feel your chances on radials bein more cosistent would be better. as far as faster, i think you'd have to take a car and run both radials and bias plys to see which one worked better for the set up bein run on that car. food for thought: fastest drag cars use bias ply
Old 10-29-2010, 09:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sprayed 99
required slipping the clutch, which hurt my clutch and wouldnt let me shift.

as far as faster, i think you'd have to take a car and run both radials and bias plys to see which one worked better for the set up bein run on that car. food for thought: fastest drag cars use bias ply
Of course, youd have to get a clutch that works. Ive been thru clutches that would let car leave easily but didnt disengage properly and couldnt shift it hard, but that goes without saying

I have done back to back passes. Slicks were .08 slower on a mid 9 second auto NA car (1.25 on 275s, 1.29 on 28x10s), and about a full tenth slower on my car.

Slicks will be more consistant, but there is more potential ET as a result of less wasted motion in the radial

You need to correct that last line. The fastest class cars like stock elim/comp etc, dont run just slicks, they run very light RADIAL slicks.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:04 PM
10 Second Club

Of course, youd have to get a clutch that works. Ive been thru clutches that would let car leave easily but didnt disengage properly and couldnt shift it hard, but that goes without saying

I have done back to back passes. Slicks were .08 slower on a mid 9 second auto NA car (1.25 on 275s, 1.29 on 28x10s), and about a full tenth slower on my car.

Slicks will be more consistant, but there is more potential ET as a result of less wasted motion in the radial

You need to correct that last line. The fastest class cars like stock elim/comp etc, dont run just slicks, they run very light RADIAL slicks.
this post is about a stick shift car not an auto. auto and stick cars leave completely different. sayin how your auto car 60 ft times are better on radials then bias ply doesn't really help in this thread.

class cars faster maybe, but the FASTEST classes in drag racing run bias ply slicks. you dont see john force on any type of drag radial
Old 10-29-2010, 12:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

food for thought: fastest drag cars use bias ply

I did realize the "Fastest" drag cars run light radials. Guess we better tell the top fuel guys they're doing it wrong
Old 10-29-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

this post is about a stick shift car not an auto. auto and stick cars leave completely different. sayin how your auto car 60 ft times are better on radials then bias ply doesn't really help in this thread.

class cars faster maybe, but the FASTEST classes in drag racing run bias ply slicks. you dont see john force on any type of drag radial
Guess you missed the part about ON MY CAR also? the cam only stick car in my sig? If you can hook it, its faster period. No think so's it is. It doesnt grow so it doesnt kill gear, waste less ET in sidewall wrapping up. Mine dead hooks off limiter on a decent track. Its done it 40-50 times, not twice.

Top Fuel advice doesnt apply to most sportsmans door cars, they run on the verge of hydraulicing the cylinders with fuel and have power to spin them at 1319 ft. Of course a 275 radial isnt the tire choice.

If an adrenaline shot to the heart is the only way to revive someone in a coke induced heart attack, is it the best way to wake yourself up in the morning, or just stick with coffee from Dunkin Donuts? WTF

Put any cam only car next to me for cash around 3500 lbs with a stick, Ill be on radials you on slicks, Ill be comfortable on anything but the worst tracks
Old 10-29-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Radials can work with a stick a car u just need proper suspension tuning, u might even have to pull some timing out at the launch but u can do it and they are faster than slick thats a fact.

A car I helped crew for pulls 8 degrees timing out at launch on the radial no bars and 60s 1.23 vs 1.29 with slick and wheelie bars and all timing in. also went tenth and a half faster on the big end.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:25 PM
10 Second Club

Guess you missed the part about ON MY CAR also? the cam only stick car in my sig? If you can hook it, its faster period. No think so's it is. It doesnt grow so it doesnt kill gear, waste less ET in sidewall wrapping up. Mine dead hooks off limiter on a decent track. Its done it 40-50 times, not twice.

Top Fuel advice doesnt apply to most sportsmans door cars, they run on the verge of hydraulicing the cylinders with fuel and have power to spin them at 1319 ft. Of course a 275 radial isnt the tire choice.

If an adrenaline shot to the heart is the only way to revive someone in a coke induced heart attack, is it the best way to wake yourself up in the morning, or just stick with coffee from Dunkin Donuts? WTF

Put any cam only car next to me for cash around 3500 lbs with a stick, Ill be on radials you on slicks, Ill be comfortable on anything but the worst tracks
fastest 6 speed cars are bias ply slicks. never said radails cant work, would have to do a same day camparison on slicks to bias ply to see which is faster. not every car is gonna go faster on radials.

top fuel isnt the only class that the fastest cars run slicks and i was generalizing.

and your car isn't cam only........it never came with a ls1 if u wanna get techical
Old 10-29-2010, 03:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Krazy98Z28
Radials can work with a stick a car u just need proper suspension tuning, u might even have to pull some timing out at the launch but u can do it and they are faster than slick thats a fact.

A car I helped crew for pulls 8 degrees timing out at launch on the radial no bars and 60s 1.23 vs 1.29 with slick and wheelie bars and all timing in. also went tenth and a half faster on the big end.
Nope, no way, couldnt have happened. Someone hasnt done it or seen it so apprently your personal experience trying to tell them it is in fact possible is somehow irrelevant

Johny K setting SSO record on 275 radials in a 29.5x10 slick class isnt relevant
Radial cars winning every slick vs radial race that Im aware of?

If you can make the car get down, its going to go faster.

My cars not cam only because it didnt come with a LS1? Seriously you said that? I guess SSPerformance should say he has the fastest cam only car now because his didnt either. Or Magnus. Its the same car! Thats silly.

Dont know why youd get so bent, its a fact, it can be done, it doesnt take magic or crazy parts (although good **** helps)

Spohn torque arm, textralia clutch, 4.56s, 275 radials, QA1 shocks nothing out of the ordinary and it cuts high 1.4 60 fts as good or better than most cars similair.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope, no way, couldnt have happened. Someone hasnt done it or seen it so apprently your personal experience trying to tell them it is in fact possible is somehow irrelevant

Johny K setting SSO record on 275 radials in a 29.5x10 slick class isnt relevant
Radial cars winning every slick vs radial race that Im aware of?

If you can make the car get down, its going to go faster.

My cars not cam only because it didnt come with a LS1? Seriously you said that? I guess SSPerformance should say he has the fastest cam only car now because his didnt either. Or Magnus. Its the same car! Thats silly.

Dont know why youd get so bent, its a fact, it can be done, it doesnt take magic or crazy parts (although good **** helps)

Spohn torque arm, textralia clutch, 4.56s, 275 radials, QA1 shocks nothing out of the ordinary and it cuts high 1.4 60 fts as good or better than most cars similair.
Would it be fair if I set the cam only record with a big cammed LS7 in my F-body? I think not. My 3700lb 3.89 geared 6spd car pulled a 1.47 on Hoosier slicks, so whats your point? My suspenion setup isn't even dialed in properly yet. By the time I'm done getting my suspenion setup dialed in, I should be cutting high 1.3 60fts. I use to run radials but they hurt my clutch. I went to a bias-ply and never looked back. Now I only use drag radials on the street.