Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Final Detail of the Year (Silverado SS)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 07:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Final Detail of the Year (Silverado SS)

First of all thanks to Tim "nikon1999" for choosing us to polish up his ride. He took super good care of this vehicle and I can certainly appreciate his efforts. One of the nicest silverados I've seen around that is driven. For an 04 with 80k miles I was beside myself. Clean, tight, and not a spec of rust.

It is just getting to cold these days and only getting colder… And we couldn’t have asked for a better vehicle to end the season on.

Pics don't do it justice but the color was really nice (Arrival Blue), loved it. It was a bit overcast that day so it looks more lighter blue, but this color POPS in the light and has a lot of depth with a hint of black/purple.

Here we go...

Total time taken was 20man hours, we even put the owner to work. He did a great job helping us get it done to make it a short day. This was exterior only.

Materials Used:
Menzerna PO203
Menzerna PO106FA
Menzerna Power Lock
Uber Clay Bar
Meguiers NXT 2.0
Prima Amigo
Prima Banana Gloss
Prima Slick
Lake County 6” Orange Pad
Uber 5.5” Orange Pad
Uber 5.5” Blue Pad
Uber 5.5” Black Pad
Uber 3” Orange Pad
Uber 3” Blue Pad
Uber 3” backing pad
FLEX 3401
Porter Cable 7424XP
Microfiber Applicator pads
Uber Microfiber towels
Mothers Chrome Polish
CG Citrus Wash + Gloss
Sonax Wheel cleaner
Westly’s Bleachwhite
Adam’s APC
Stoner’s Invisible Glass
CG Extreme Shine
ONR clay lube dilution
Swissvax Wheel brush
Uber Wheel brush
Uber fender brush
Grout Sponge
Uber small blue applicator pad
Gilmor Flowmaster II Foam Gun
Microfiber Wash Mitt
Bug and Tar Sponge
3m Painter’s tape

Process used:Wheels: Sonax wheel cleaner (rims), Westly Bleachwhite (tires), Adam’s APC (wheel wells), CG Citrus + Gloss (everything), NXT 2.0 (rims), CG Extreme shine (rims and wheel wells

Paint work: Adam’s APC (lower panels), CG Citrus + Gloss (everything), Uber Clay + ONR Clay Lube dilution, FLEX w/ LC Orange Pad + Menzerna 203 (1st pass, 2nd where needed), PC7424XP w/ 3” orange + Menzerna 203 (tight spots), PC7424XP w/ Uber Blue + Menzerna 106FA (2nd pass), IPA wipe down, PC7424XP w/ Uber Blue + Prima Amigo, PX7424XP w/ Uber Black + Menzerna Powerlock, MF Applicator w/ Prima Banana Gloss, Prima Slick (remove static)

So time for some pics!

Washing

Lets see what we got…
Nothing major… typical light swirls and occasional RIDs…

Key damage on the back tailgate…

claying action

50/50 (right 1st pass, left untouched)

Driverside 2nd door before

Corrected (1st pass)

Little bit of work with the FLEX

Corrected just awaiting LSP

Finals after correction

Little bit of clean-up...

Couple out of outside shots

Old 11-01-2010, 07:37 AM
11 Second Club

Old 11-01-2010, 07:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:03 AM
On The Tree

Nice work!
Old 11-01-2010, 08:05 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You have issue's if your ussing 30+ items and taking 20hr's to detail a vehicle.

Get a women MAN
Old 11-01-2010, 08:18 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
You have issue's if your ussing 30+ items and taking 20hr's to detail a vehicle.

Get a women MAN
I have one, why do you think I'm taking my time

seriously a big truck like that takes a while, thus why I'm partnered up and we can do 16-18-20hrs in a day working together. As long as its fun and we can make people happy I'll keep doing it.

You guys gotta remember this is not washing and slapping some wax on, its prepping, and 2 or 3 passes of paint correction, before sealing and LSP.

Tim was with us the whole time, I'm sure he can atest to what it takes.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Slowhawk

Get a women MAN
20+ man hours isnt bad. We have had some vehicles in our shop with 60+ man hours into them. Its a sickness.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Dan -

Thanks for posting everything up! Great to meet you guys.

I can definitely atest to how much work it is! I was impressed we actually got it done while we still had some daylight. A lot of surface area to cover. I'm thrilled with how it came out!
Old 11-01-2010, 08:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh and I forgot to mention...

Can you tell where I hitt a deer two days before??? lol
Old 11-01-2010, 08:35 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
I have one, why do you think I'm taking my time

seriously a big truck like that takes a while, thus why I'm partnered up and we can do 16-18-20hrs in a day working together. As long as its fun and we can make people happy I'll keep doing it.

You guys gotta remember this is not washing and slapping some wax on, its prepping, and 2 or 3 passes of paint correction, before sealing and LSP.

Tim was with us the whole time, I'm sure he can atest to what it takes.
Unfortunately there are many out there that are uninformed, especially customers.

Not a big issue but when quoting a price, I hate to loose a job but sometimes it sucks when you get talked down and still know your price was very fair.

I had a few of those this year but no matter what, everyone was simply amazed at the results.

The only thing more Danno that you can do is move up to a Rotary to quicken the job. Get a few "junk" body panels that are saveable and give it a shot, you would amazed on how much quicker it can be especially when the paint is not forgiving or workable. The DA still very much has it's place and I myself will be getting one but I definitly see the above average enthusist getting both.

The color is killer on that truck, I wish GM gave that SS more ***** from the factory but either way, still one of my favorite trucks to look at.

All that I plan to have is a few upkeep cars during the winter. I do need to lay down some wax layers soon before the weather really turns down.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:37 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks All

And thanks for the positive remarks Tim all appreciated. I really enjoyed working on your truck.

Yes, Tim hit a deer the day before and grazed the side of his truck, a few minor scratchs/smudges, all gone.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:45 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Unfortunately there are many out there that are uninformed, especially customers.

Not a big issue but when quoting a price, I hate to loose a job but sometimes it sucks when you get talked down and still know your price was very fair.

I had a few of those this year but no matter what, everyone was simply amazed at the results.

The only thing more Danno that you can do is move up to a Rotary to quicken the job. Get a few "junk" body panels that are saveable and give it a shot, you would amazed on how much quicker it can be especially when the paint is not forgiving or workable. The DA still very much has it's place and I myself will be getting one but I definitly see the above average enthusist getting both.

The color is killer on that truck, I wish GM gave that SS more ***** from the factory but either way, still one of my favorite trucks to look at.

All that I plan to have is a few upkeep cars during the winter. I do need to lay down some wax layers soon before the weather really turns down.
I'll tell you what we got a flex now (Thanks Jokeman) And its probably 80% of what a rotary is with much more of a safety net. Had we of not had that tool we would have probably taken significantly more hrs. You can't beat a rotary and maybe one day we'll get one but for now with the compounds they have out there you can get some great results with some of the high power DA's failry quick. The Flex makes a PC look toyish.

Next year however....we are getting some wetsanding knowledge under our belts, so who knows, lol.

Tims SS is supercharged , the way they should have came.

Yeah pricing is hard to pick a flat rate amount...But I think we are very fair, maybe even short changing ourselves occasionally, but again its not our bread and butter.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll tell you what we got a flex now (Thanks Jokeman) And its probably 80% of what a rotary is with much more of a safety net. Had we of not had that tool we would have probably taken significantly more hrs. You can't beat a rotary and maybe one day we'll get one but for now with the compounds they have out there you can get some great results with some of the high power DA's failry quick. The Flex makes a PC look toyish.

Next year however....we are getting some wetsanding knowledge under our belts, so who knows, lol.

Tims SS is supercharged , the way they should have came.

Yeah pricing is hard to pick a flat rate amount...But I think we are very fair, maybe even short changing ourselves occasionally, but again its not our bread and butter.

I have heard some great things about the flex. I will have to research it a bit more. Some areas of a car definitly benefit from a smaller pad and just sometimes the product needs to be worked in.

Wetsanding so some cool shiz, you can head over to Meguiar's website, they hold classes and takes tons of pics and gives a good visual to help see progress. Definitly something your going to want a wool pad for.

Glad that truck got some extra umph!
Old 11-01-2010, 03:15 PM
8 second mod

wow, talk about polishing a turd. that thing was a **** hole. he should have had you do the inside too, i know there is some poop stains in there. lol

i was in the side the deer hit the other day. i got her name and number when she came to my window!!!

looks good for sure, tims truck is in super good shape, its as good as new plus faster.
nice job.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

wow looks great. we will plan to do mine in the spring...we will see how the black comes out. mine is not as sweet as tims though...no boost
Old 11-01-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is that time of year, it was 70 last week and its going to dip into the 20's tonight. Looks good, that color really came to life after the polishing. I need to actually market myself next season, had some business, but would have liked to get some more.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:25 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah I'd keep doing it if we had a bay to wash in, but we don't, plus most folks barely wash their cars in the winter anyways. You can appreciate the work better when its not covered with snow/salt/dirt 10 minutes after you leave.

Yeah Chris, you got dibbs come next spring, I know we missed you this month.

poop stains, lol... I laugh but I've seen a couple of things in people cars and I wasn't laughing. Reminds me, we are gonna try and pick up a steam cleaner for next season. I hate doing interiors, but I know some folks really want it done.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

Reminds me, we are gonna try and pick up a steam cleaner for next season. I hate doing interiors, but I know some folks really want it done.
Don't waste your money on a 99 dollar steam cleaner. I have one and they arent worth the money. If you are gonna do a steam cleaner, spend the money and buy a vx5000.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jokeman
Don't waste your money on a 99 dollar steam cleaner. I have one and they arent worth the money. If you are gonna do a steam cleaner, spend the money and buy a vx5000.
Good to know, thanks for the heads up.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Awesome work!