Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Diablosport Tuners - Worth It? Silvy SS

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 09:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Diablosport Tuners - Worth It? Silvy SS

I dont know too much about these things but found a couple on craigslist that seem like good deals. Anyone know if these are worth it or provide a noticable difference in performance or fuel econ? Would use it on my 03 Silverado SS. Diablo claims 20-25 WHP gains depending on octane rating. I dont plan to mod the truck much maybe just a cold air and one of these hand held tuners. Do they also read factory malfunction codes?

Thanks Guys for any input!!

Chris

Any comparison to the hypertech??
Old 12-22-2010, 10:41 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hypertech is garbage.

Could be worth it if you scan the vehicle and customize the tune. Takes time.

Or you just see someone like me who does a custom street tune for $250 and you know it's right.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:40 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

correct, hypertech is garbage... there is no comparison to a diablosport predator...

yes, the diablo predator will provide noticable gains... and provide all kinds of adjustability, more than any other handheld programmer... plus, you can also get custom tuning done for it... and yes, you can also scan/clear trouble codes with it...

however, buying them used like that, you have to make sure they are "unlocked/unmarried"... because when a tune is installed to a vehicle, the predator becomes locked to that vehicle... the person selling it, needs to restore their original backup stock tune back to their vehicle in order to unlock/unmarry the predator from their vehicle, so that you would be able to use it...

find out what revision number it's on... the revision number is at the top of the screen at the main menu... you want it to be a 2.xx or 9rxx revision number... if it's a very old one on a 1.xx revision, then it will not unlock, even if the person did restore their original backup.

ask if they restored the original backup to their vehicle... and under options - show last tune written, it should say "original backup"... so, you need to find these things out... otherwise you will be paying more $$ to get it unlocked/reset....

can get a brand new one, with full warranty, newest version of the tool, data logging, etc etc for only 279 from marylandspeed.com...

and yes, custom tuning can also be done for your truck for the predators as well, by a diablosport CMR custom tuner like myself...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 12-22-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay good thing I asked I did not know that.

Slowhawk that sounds like the way to go for $250. I will throw the cold air on and bring it down for a street tune.

Thanks again for the info guys!!!