Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Any Construction-type people out there?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011 | 03:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by valdeztke
Well I manged to get under the house and it looks like one of the footers (stack of bricks) looks as if its twisted slightly. I have an inspector coming out to look at it, but looks like I'll need to have at the minimum steel braces put underneath.
Pictures are worth a thousand words....
Old 01-19-2011 | 04:03 PM
9 Second Club

Explain stack of bricks. Is your house a modular?
Old 01-19-2011 | 05:13 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1fast bird
Explain stack of bricks. Is your house a modular?
Its rare I see it... Mostly only see it in Philly... Seen it in West Chester some of the really old buildings have footers that are brick... Basically nothing holding them together... It sucks when I am trying to tunnel under a footer to install a new 6" water service and the footer just falls down. We sleeve the pipe and rebar and under pin the footer or whats left of one...

Know whats really fucked up... When you try and tie in to city water and find the main in the street and it made of wood.... Yep they did some crazy **** back in the day....
Old 01-19-2011 | 05:35 PM
9 Second Club

I hope I never have to do a re-model on one of those. I've worked with a few stone foundations but nothing like that.... Sounds like a phuckin nightmare!!!.....I'm sure there is nothing level about them houses.
Old 01-19-2011 | 07:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mikep2002
Its rare I see it... Mostly only see it in Philly... Seen it in West Chester some of the really old buildings have footers that are brick... Basically nothing holding them together... It sucks when I am trying to tunnel under a footer to install a new 6" water service and the footer just falls down. We sleeve the pipe and rebar and under pin the footer or whats left of one...

Know whats really fucked up... When you try and tie in to city water and find the main in the street and it made of wood.... Yep they did some crazy **** back in the day....

We're doing a job in Conshi now that is like that in some areas... Main line area is good for old dry laid stone foundations.
Old 01-19-2011 | 07:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1fast bird
I hope I never have to do a re-model on one of those. I've worked with a few stone foundations but nothing like that.... Sounds like a phuckin nightmare!!!.....I'm sure there is nothing level about them houses.
Never level Never square
Old 01-22-2011 | 11:47 PM
8 Second Club

I talked to my buddy that lives across the street from you. They're having the same problems as you, some worse. He noticed a bit in his house and the house across the street from him has a 1ft variance from one end of the basement to the other. He said almost all the houses in that area are sinking down a bit.