Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

So i'm into dirtbikes now lol

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 01:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We used to tow Manny Buginga's SSO car with a new suzuki 450 and it would just wheelie, was hard to get momentum....that's personal experience
Old 03-03-2011, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

definitely a great hobby to get into!! you stole that bike for 2200, i remember when they were 5 - 6K. that bike should rip once its all done! but one problem your gonna wanna go faster ive been through 4 bikes and now my cr250 is fast enough for me for a little bit lol

maybe ill see ya at some of the hare scrambles when its all done
Old 03-04-2011, 01:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah I can always do a big bore kit on the 250 so I still have some room to grow lol
Old 03-04-2011, 09:12 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Krazy98Z28
The sport atvs have a tough time pulling a car, they tend to wheelie. The 4x4 is better since they are heavy
I was thinking of fabbing a hook off the bottom of the rear skidplate, so it would be down low... might help with that... I also wonder if you ran a strap under the atv from the front of it, left a hook on the skid plate in the back so it didn't drag, if that would solve that issue too... must be a way to rig something I'd think. Just have to get the leverage point right.

The idea, was to just throw a set of small tires on (be better ratio wise), and the ATV was gonna get some tabs put on it and I'd rig up an easy set of travel limiters to strap it down,to slam it on the ground while we're at the drag strip. Sit low, be easy to get on and off, help stop the wheelie issue I'd suspect, etc.

I really don't want a big 4x4 atv, because they're heavy, slow, and generally not even 1/2 the fun of riding a sport atv IMO. Plus, I'd like to be able to pick the quad up and throw it in the truck if I want, etc.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I was thinking of fabbing a hook off the bottom of the rear skidplate, so it would be down low... might help with that... I also wonder if you ran a strap under the atv from the front of it, left a hook on the skid plate in the back so it didn't drag, if that would solve that issue too... must be a way to rig something I'd think. Just have to get the leverage point right.

The idea, was to just throw a set of small tires on (be better ratio wise), and the ATV was gonna get some tabs put on it and I'd rig up an easy set of travel limiters to strap it down,to slam it on the ground while we're at the drag strip. Sit low, be easy to get on and off, help stop the wheelie issue I'd suspect, etc.

I really don't want a big 4x4 atv, because they're heavy, slow, and generally not even 1/2 the fun of riding a sport atv IMO. Plus, I'd like to be able to pick the quad up and throw it in the truck if I want, etc.
The 450 motor is a monster, Im sure it would have plenty of power to pull a car. But if the atvs clutch is anything like the bike then it would suck for towing. But, they do make an automatic clutch called the rekluse that I bet would be perfect for fun on the weekends and towing- http://rekluse.com/

Krazy98Z28, any chance a 450 would fit in that frame?
Old 03-04-2011, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by zz4camaro1980
The 450 motor is a monster, Im sure it would have plenty of power to pull a car. But if the atvs clutch is anything like the bike then it would suck for towing. But, they do make an automatic clutch called the rekluse that I bet would be perfect for fun on the weekends and towing- http://rekluse.com/

Krazy98Z28, any chance a 450 would fit in that frame?
I dont think so, but you never know.

I am having the frame,subframe, and swingarm powdercoated black, this is the looks i am going for.

Need to order wheels, and triple trees and I should be good.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I dont think so, but you never know.

I am having the frame,subframe, and swingarm powdercoated black, this is the looks i am going for.

Need to order wheels, and triple trees and I should be good.
Thats going to look great.

I love the black look on dirt bikes- shitty cell phone pic of my 05 450R. Went with the black plastics (easy and cheap), a friend painted them over the winter two years ago and the paint has held up great.
Attached Thumbnails So i'm into dirtbikes now lol-0304011555a.jpg  
Old 03-04-2011, 11:27 PM
Race your car!

[QUOTE=zz4camaro1980;14589903]The 450 motor is a monster, Im sure it would have plenty of power to pull a car. But if the atvs clutch is anything like the bike then it would suck for towing. But, they do make an automatic clutch called the rekluse that I bet would be perfect for fun on the weekends and towing- http://rekluse.com/ QUOTE]

That's an interesting setup, 900 bucks is a bit of $$... but if I can steal a 450R and it would make it a good dual purpose setup, it would be worth it.

I don't see one listed for a 450R atc, they're all for bikes. I don't know how the 450 clutch is, but I know the stock clutch that my 400EX had in it back when I bought that in 99, was great, it lasted a LONG time, and never gave me any trouble. If the new one lasts like that one did, I think that just a tooth less on the front sproket, and a set of LITTLE tires, like these hoosier dirt track tires would give it plenty of gear reduction. They have a 15 inch tall tire that goes on an 8 inch rim, as long as I can find a rim set for the front and back, and can put the little tires on for the track, I think it would work.

Just the wheelie issue I would be concerned with. but, if I put a strap off the center/bottom of the atv, and not try to pull from the rear grab bar, I think it would be o.k.

Krazy just get ahold of white brothers if you need any additional power, I bought every part they had for a 400 EX back when I had mine... the cam kit, jet kit pipe and filter setup that they had made a HUGE difference in the atv, I'm sure on the bike it would be plenty.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

I just bought a yz426f from a guy who ran it out of oil... Rebuilt it, has hot cams, intake and exhaust. Thing wheelies in every gear. So much fun!

As it sat when I bought it for $700.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Well she came in today so we rushed getting it assembled, thanks to the Reis Racing camp for all the help.

She fired up after a few kicks and sounded mean as hell

Heres a few pics I snapped before calling it a night. The bars need to be rolled forward more and maybe raised alittle.

I'll having riding vids real soon....need this rain to stop

Had a jersey made too

Old 04-13-2011, 09:34 AM
Race your car!

Bike came out great. Should be a blast!

I just picked up an 07 450ER honda... found it up outside lemonster with about 10 hours on it. Going to go thru it in the next week or so, got a couple small parts on the way for it already. Bark busters, case saver in the event the chain lets go, parking brake delete and all the maintenance stuff I didn't have anymore.

Plan, is to put a full skid plate package on it, probably ride on the stock tires until they're a littl beat then put a set of 18's on it for when we take it to the track, and buy a set of beadlock's for it to use for normal riding with a set of gncc holeshots on the front, rear I'm not sure.. I know it's getting a 22 inch tire, just not sure what yet.

It's already got a dasa pipe, jet kit and a rev box on it.. thing really moves good. I think about 2 days on it I will be dropping it off at the local honda dealer, let them go thru the bike, make sure everything is happy with it just becuase I don't know the history 100%. Over the winter, the stg 2 cam will go in it, I'll put a breathable airbox lid and a k/n filter on it. That, along with what's already done should put it up in the 60 hp range... they come with 42.7 stock according to the frame tag, and the rev box, pipe and jet kit are supposed to be abother 10, cam is supposed to be another 7 to 10 depending on which one you put in it.....

I'm leavnig the bottom end alone unless I have a problem, in that case, it will get the bigger jug, and/or longer throw crank.. both together make it 510cc I think, I know the bigger jug bumps it to 470, crank does the same.... I really can't imagine why you would need all that.. thing will never see wide open with the power that would make.. I'd guess with the big jug and crank, and cams and all the other work, clean the head ports up some etc, 70 hp is possible, maybe more. The thing already has got to go damn near 80 mph... how fast do you rally want to go on one of these This is the first quad I've had, that I honestly can see gearing it to kill the power a little. Front tires don't want to stay on the ground until ya have it in 5th gear, and you're already going allmost 60 at that point..... only problem, is I put another tooth on the front to mild it out, and it will just go faster...... again I don't really see a need for it.

That could change after I ride it for a while, maybe it's just because I've been away from them for a while.. but it honestly feels retarded fast already. My old 400ex had a bunch of work done to it.. and it wouldn't hold a candle to what this thing will do with just the pipe on it.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

Do a little research on the cam swaps. I know on the yamaha's there's not really much a gain to justify it. Just a suggestion.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:11 AM
Race your car!

Honda choked thet hell out of their bikes.. the yamaha has a ton more camshaft then the honda's do out of the factory.. pretty much the reason that they are a little faster.

But, after doing alot of research.. I stayed away from the yamaha. They did make a little faster quad.. but at a serious cost in the reliability department. The kawi's, with the alum. frame that they put on them... I have read alot of reports that with one good hit you'll crack or mushroom the frame to hell. The suzuki's are decent, but they're alot wider, and that's not going to help with trail riding one bit. Yahama, unless you got the xc version that was built a couple inches narrower also suffer from the width problems. Wider is nice for mx and dune riding, but go out in the woods and it will be more of a headache then a benefit.

I'm not really looking to have to wrench on it all the time either.. liklyhood of things is that the thing will get the skidplates and durability stuff done, and once that's done, if I find the desire to go faster I'll cam it. Airbox, I'll do when the stock filter is shot/needs replacing. For now it's brand new, no reason to chuck it yet. Motor internally ever has a problem, sure it will get redone bigger. But, being a honda atv... I doubt that I'll have any real problems there.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:50 AM
TECH Resident

Oh ok didn't know know that about the hondas. Just looking out for a fellow member.

Luckily for me the yamaha 450 factory race mechanic lives down the street from me and is a friend of mine, so no worrying about reliability lol

Personally, where I ride the trails are pretty wide and a wider quad feels more stable. Either way, keep us posted on the build it's always nice to see the progress on a job.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:23 AM
Race your car!

Will do.

I don't have any factory guys anywhere near me... and if I do... I don't know them LOL.

I'm sure it will be plenty peppy without any internal motor work. 43 hp to start with is pretty good already.. add a pipe, jet kit and the air filter and I'm sure it's over 50, probably close to 53.

I used to race hare scrambles a long time ago... so I am used to going thru the wods faster then you probably should be trying to A bike that's a little on the narrow side to be is a better deal, more room for error. Plus being 6'3 250 lbs... I am big enough so with a good shift of weight it will go where I want it to I'm sure. I've always found stability, has alot to do with how you approach stuff, where and how you sit on the bike, and how you set the shocks up. I always set the shocks up so that they rebound a little slower then they compress, so when you plant it it stays that way. Not the best for big air stuff... but thru the woods it absolutely works good. Keeps the thing a little lower too that way, which always helps. Honda's sit up a little higher, more like a traditional atv from the years past.. another part I liked about it since I've been doing this since 1983 (age of 6)
Old 04-15-2011, 07:28 AM
Launching!

Glad you and Vin got everything buttoned up yesterday and you got to witness my meltdown at the shop yesterday LOL!!
Old 04-15-2011, 08:26 AM
Staging Lane

I picked up a 96 yz250 couple weeks ago I love 2 stroke
Old 04-15-2011, 08:27 AM
Staging Lane

Correct spelling is Leominster not Lemonster lol

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Bike came out great. Should be a blast!

I just picked up an 07 450ER honda... found it up outside lemonster with about 10 hours on it. Going to go thru it in the next week or so, got a couple small parts on the way for it already. Bark busters, case saver in the event the chain lets go, parking brake delete and all the maintenance stuff I didn't have anymore.

Plan, is to put a full skid plate package on it, probably ride on the stock tires until they're a littl beat then put a set of 18's on it for when we take it to the track, and buy a set of beadlock's for it to use for normal riding with a set of gncc holeshots on the front, rear I'm not sure.. I know it's getting a 22 inch tire, just not sure what yet.

It's already got a dasa pipe, jet kit and a rev box on it.. thing really moves good. I think about 2 days on it I will be dropping it off at the local honda dealer, let them go thru the bike, make sure everything is happy with it just becuase I don't know the history 100%. Over the winter, the stg 2 cam will go in it, I'll put a breathable airbox lid and a k/n filter on it. That, along with what's already done should put it up in the 60 hp range... they come with 42.7 stock according to the frame tag, and the rev box, pipe and jet kit are supposed to be abother 10, cam is supposed to be another 7 to 10 depending on which one you put in it.....

I'm leavnig the bottom end alone unless I have a problem, in that case, it will get the bigger jug, and/or longer throw crank.. both together make it 510cc I think, I know the bigger jug bumps it to 470, crank does the same.... I really can't imagine why you would need all that.. thing will never see wide open with the power that would make.. I'd guess with the big jug and crank, and cams and all the other work, clean the head ports up some etc, 70 hp is possible, maybe more. The thing already has got to go damn near 80 mph... how fast do you rally want to go on one of these This is the first quad I've had, that I honestly can see gearing it to kill the power a little. Front tires don't want to stay on the ground until ya have it in 5th gear, and you're already going allmost 60 at that point..... only problem, is I put another tooth on the front to mild it out, and it will just go faster...... again I don't really see a need for it.

That could change after I ride it for a while, maybe it's just because I've been away from them for a while.. but it honestly feels retarded fast already. My old 400ex had a bunch of work done to it.. and it wouldn't hold a candle to what this thing will do with just the pipe on it.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:12 AM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I just picked up a brand new 2008 CRF150R leftover, before you tell me thats a kids bike you have to realize I am 5'0 tall. Knowing that this bike wouldnt be fast enough to hang with the big boys, I decided to contact service honda, they put CRF250R motors in CRF150R frame.
For those of us that know you Marco I have to say you've been very creative making a 250 into a compact version. Way to go Buddy!!!! Best of luck with it.....
Old 04-16-2011, 08:40 AM
Race your car!

That mini 250 is going to probably be 25% faster then a regular one.. the weight vs a full size 250.. it's got to be what 30+ lbs lighter? That's alot when the we're talking about stuff that's less then 280 lbs!

Is there anyone that's ever tried to shove the crf 450 motor in the smaller bike?