Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Detailing (01 TA) TONS OF PICS

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011 | 08:56 PM
Teching In

car looks good, i can never use a buffing wheel it always give me problems guess ill stick with the old fashion way
Old 04-20-2011 | 06:19 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
how did the wheel barrels come out?
They came out ok. We didn't go nuts on them, but to look better than new they need to be sanded and then a few polishing sessions. I just wanted them clean.

If you look at the pic of my polishing the spokes you can kind of see the barrel. I forgot to take a pic before mounting them. Far from perfect and still course in spots but much better.
Old 04-20-2011 | 06:23 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1SpeedAddict
can you walk me thru how you did the plastic? Turned out beautiful.
Thanks

I used the Porter cable and menzerna 203 on a 3" orange (med cut) pad to start. Took a couple of passes at it and worked some spots for quite some time. Then I went over it with the rest of the car on a final pass with menzerna 106fa and a white (light cut) pad.

I use a similar approach to headlight correction but often start with an aggressive pad and/or compound if they are real bad. I'll take my time with it instead of trying to wetsand.
Old 04-20-2011 | 06:30 AM
Internet Mechanic

Looks great.

I finally got some time to play with my rotary on my 2000 Buick Century which is Pewter as well and completely agree with the fact that its hard to see imperfections, corrections, or even sometimes results.

Wash
Clay
LC Orange w/ Meguair's 105 1000ish RPMS
LC White w/ Meguiar's 205 900 RPMS
Wipe down
Meg's Ultimate Wax

Very happy with the results but also discovered that w/ 105 that if the paint is older, it does like to suck it into the paint and I was getting Dusting, but they make a M80/M83 combo which has more oils and works mint for single stage paints. Also the RPM's should have been more in the 1500's, work smaller area.... so its a learning process.

Like you I just got a work light as well as my hand held swirl finder but with those light colors its so darn tough.

I am tempted to strip my WS.6's of their clear coat and just straight keep them polished, half tempted at least. My wheel barrels got the insides clean and I forgot how much I liked seeing the inside of the wheels.
Old 04-20-2011 | 06:30 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
That's alot of work for me. My lazy *** just walks next door and give the keys.
Yes, detail shop opened next to us......
For a detail shop that’s prime real-estate!

Then they get lazy guys like you

I hope they give you guys referral deals and stuff.
Old 04-20-2011 | 06:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02gangsta/ss
wish someone would do my car w the porter cable before slowhawk dyno day
Yeah if I didn't have to have a real job, I'd have you come down.
Old 04-20-2011 | 06:34 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by nikon1999
Looks great dan!

Just had my dirty bird out the other day... it needs some tlc soon
Tim we got you, hit me up and we can set you up for June if you wanna come up again.
Old 04-20-2011 | 06:35 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks again for the comments guys!
Old 04-20-2011 | 06:48 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Looks great.

I finally got some time to play with my rotary on my 2000 Buick Century which is Pewter as well and completely agree with the fact that its hard to see imperfections, corrections, or even sometimes results.

Wash
Clay
LC Orange w/ Meguair's 105 1000ish RPMS
LC White w/ Meguiar's 205 900 RPMS
Wipe down
Meg's Ultimate Wax

Very happy with the results but also discovered that w/ 105 that if the paint is older, it does like to suck it into the paint and I was getting Dusting, but they make a M80/M83 combo which has more oils and works mint for single stage paints. Also the RPM's should have been more in the 1500's, work smaller area.... so its a learning process.

Like you I just got a work light as well as my hand held swirl finder but with those light colors its so darn tough.

I am tempted to strip my WS.6's of their clear coat and just straight keep them polished, half tempted at least. My wheel barrels got the insides clean and I forgot how much I liked seeing the inside of the wheels.
I'm surprised you got that much dusting from the megs. Another reason I love Menzerna I don't have to go around and clean up/wash dust off between compounds.

Yeah take you time with the Rotary and always start least aggressive as you know. I would advise against stripping the clearcoat.

The clear coat itself amongst protecting the finish also has UV protection. You should really keep the clear on these water based paints. If you removed more than .5 mils of clear you can promote premature UV damage. Clear coat is a good thing, in this correction I probably only removed about .03 mils. The goal is to level it just enough to take out imperfection but not take out more than needed. If you are blasting with a rotary get in some good light and it would be worth getting a paint guage. Thats my next investment.
Old 04-20-2011 | 07:06 AM
Internet Mechanic

Yea, Paint guage is definitly next. The Buick had bad swirls since the start. I got to practice on a Pewter T/A hatch not too long ago and with the pad/chem combo is proven to work. I talked with Mike Stoops over @ Meguiars and he made a few suggestions such as smaller area and more rpms. Once you get the main cut done, then the M205 will be the work horse

This was on Sunday and even though it was warmish and had some sun, very windy and dry humidity also had been a factor in the dusting.

When I scrape the $$$ together I will get a Flex or PC as well so I can round out my options.
Old 04-20-2011 | 07:15 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Yea, Paint guage is definitly next. The Buick had bad swirls since the start. I got to practice on a Pewter T/A hatch not too long ago and with the pad/chem combo is proven to work. I talked with Mike Stoops over @ Meguiars and he made a few suggestions such as smaller area and more rpms. Once you get the main cut done, then the M205 will be the work horse

This was on Sunday and even though it was warmish and had some sun, very windy and dry humidity also had been a factor in the dusting.

When I scrape the $$$ together I will get a Flex or PC as well so I can round out my options.
Try detailing a subaru on a hot/humid day. ewww.
No matter what you use it sucks.

Megs is proven stuff and cheaper, The fact of the matter is there are so many options, you gotta find the stuff that works for you. 3m is good too. I've also used Prima and all said and done I got my fav

You would love a flex, The flex does work but I like the PC for intricate parts and last passes.
Old 04-20-2011 | 07:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
Yeah if I didn't have to have a real job, I'd have you come down.
yah i understand my guys that normally do it for me cant fit it in this week sucks
Old 04-20-2011 | 08:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice job Dan! Looks great. I would love to do my car, I am going to get the kit you suggested and learn how to do this.

P.S. - I got you a remote out of an envoy! You going this weekend to dynoday??
Old 04-21-2011 | 11:07 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks Chris. You'll have to swing by some time when we do a car.
Thanks for the remote too, awesome. Honestly I dont know about the dyno day, well atleast bringing the car out. They say snow and rain our way, and I got bald nittos. I'll make a decision tomorrow and let you know. We can maybe meetup at the firehouse anyways, I owe you a beer.
Old 04-21-2011 | 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

hmm that is scary. We can ride down in my SS pickup...she isnt scared of snow!

yeah let me know either way...i have no interest in going if its rain/snow but it usually always subsides and ends up being decent out...I will play it by ear
Old 04-21-2011 | 12:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Looks great
Old 04-25-2011 | 01:21 PM
10 Second Club

Nice car, great results. Now lower that bird before it flies away!!!
Old 04-25-2011 | 01:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DTB_LS1
Nice car, great results. Now lower that bird before it flies away!!!
Thanks. Yeah I know. Afraid to whack my headers on the crappy roads around here. I would have thought that 11 yr old shocks and springs would have sagged a bit more. I did take about 100lbs outta the car.

It's on the list, just an inch.
Old 04-25-2011 | 03:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I don't see a difference...

J/K Looks great man!!
Old 04-25-2011 | 04:21 PM
Launching!

Great job man......looks really good.