Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Starting my cut cycle...CKD and more HIIT

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02LS1ram
Wow Congrats JS on your workout/meal plan and success with your weigh lose. I would like some info on the fat burning diet. I go to the gym on a somewhat regular basis( pending overtime at work). I'm 25 6'0 238lbs my bench press is 300lbs but I can't seem to burn the fat off the lower half of my body do you think the diet your doin would work for me
Try some very high intensity cardio. Do 100 yard wind sprints taking 30-45 seconds between each. Do that a few time and you'll be shocked at how badly it takes your wind. Try doing that 2-3 times a week and I think you will get through the plateau you are stuck at now.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

Hey guys,

I am not a trainer or anything like that but I have to add my 2 cents. I played Lacrosse in College and was in pretty good shape. After college my weight shot up like crazy, tipping the scales around 274-278 at its highest. In early January I decided to make a change and I joined a local Crossfit gym. Some have heard of Crossfit some have not, either way it is something that has changed my life. It isn't your normal gym experience. I can honestly say it has changed my life and my habits. They follow the Paleo or Zone diet. The definition of Crossfit is "constantly varied functional movement performed at high intensity." It has made me look at working out like a sport and not like a chore. My current weight is 221 so I've lost roughly 50 pounds, can dead lift over 450, bench 225 18 times, and do 30 pull-ups unbroken (when I started I couldn't do one). I'm not trying to brag about my strength but get the point across that I didn't just hard core diet and lose muscle along with the fat. Ok, getting of the soap box now, if anyone has any questions about it I'd be happy to answer them. Thanks, and good luck with the cut cycle!

Thanks,
Nick

Last edited by thechef; 05-04-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Launching!

I might have to give this a shot. I am 30 years old, 5.11" and 260lbs have been running 3 miles a day for the past 6 weeks, mixing in pushups and situps(I have no weights) cutting carbs and basically starving eating only 3 meals a day.

I have seen minimal results and am starting to get frustrated and doubtful of myself and this is tuff for a former Marine that use to be a rock solid 200lbs.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:42 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Starving yourself is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad, u must eat to lose
no other way to do it

U also must understand millions of yrs of evolution, we are not designed to burn fat
It takes a good diet, cardio to do this and in the end u will still lose muscle.

What u are trying to do is lose as little muscle as u can, very hard thing to do.
Genetics also plays a big role here as does age.

There is NOT majic diet or training and u need to figure what works for u I see alot of guys coming into this post and given suggestions and to me that is just fantastic as all of the suggestions are good ones.

Bottom line, take it in and burn it off
Eat clean, lift hard and do cardio
Old 05-04-2011, 03:57 PM
JS
10 Second Club

I like SCIFIT, I also like Dymatize, ON and USL has a few good one too
U cant beat Controlled Labs either, Their PW and WF is excellent with low stims

I like to take a pre and intra with NO CREATINE
I cycle that every 12 weeks (KRE) and dont want it in my pre/intra

Last edited by JS; 05-04-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:01 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Ken is correct, HIIT is the right way to burn fat
I do 35min.

3.3MPH 1MIN followed by 6.6MPH 1 MIN til 30 minutes is done.
The last 5 minutes I do 7.6MPH 1 MIN ON and 3.8 OFF

Heart rate UUUUUUUUUUUUUUP and Heart rate DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWN
WAX ON, WAX OFF
Old 05-04-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JS
I do 35min.

WAX ON, WAX OFF
What is HIIT? High intense training
Old 05-05-2011, 05:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JS
Starving yourself is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad, u must eat to lose
no other way to do it

U also must understand millions of yrs of evolution, we are not designed to burn fat
It takes a good diet, cardio to do this and in the end u will still lose muscle.

What u are trying to do is lose as little muscle as u can, very hard thing to do.
Genetics also plays a big role here as does age.

There is NOT majic diet or training and u need to figure what works for u I see alot of guys coming into this post and given suggestions and to me that is just fantastic as all of the suggestions are good ones.

Bottom line, take it in and burn it off
Eat clean, lift hard and do cardio

Not really starving myself. I should say I am eating 2 small meals for breakfast(oatmeal or yogurt) and lunch(1 can soup low fat/sodium) and then a regular dinner but smaller portions. In between meals I am really hungry. Thanks for the pm, I am going to give that a shot.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JS
I do 35min.

WAX ON, WAX OFF
I must say JS I'm seriously impressed with your knowledge. So many people get into this hobby and read a couple muscle magazines at Barnes and Nobles and think they know everything. You have definately done your homework. Obviously the proof is in the results you have gotten....

People must freak out when they see you, not even recognize you etc....
Old 05-05-2011, 11:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice job! I agree with you about alot of this except the high rep/low rep old hat stuff. They each have thier different place and its is whatever works for you. I wouldnt call it an old hat lol.
I like 3x5 or 5x5 for getting stronger. It dosent stress your muscles and conserves calories needed to get bigger.
I also like an in the middle for strength and fitness with 3x8 or 5x8. This is my fav.
Then if I wanna work on stamina and endurance ill do 3x12 or 5x12.

It best to mix it up overall but if you have one goal in mind then its good to stick with one for a while. Theres so many different variables and body types to say what is best. Its just like picking out a cam or a stall for a car.

Alot of people dont understand that when you lose weight you will lose muscle as well. To lose weight or fat you have to put you body into a calorie deficit. This means you will have less energy in your body and it makes you weaker. A human body cant have best of both worlds unless theres some help from the juice.

Losing weight for me is tough as hell man. As soon as I go into calorie deficit I get weak and dont feel strong enough to do weights unless they are super light. So if im trying to lose weight (like I am now) then ill consentrate on the cardio.
Last winter I did a mix of 3x5 and 3x8 with no cardio and I ended up the biggest and strongest iv even been. But now that spring is here im trying to burn off the 20lbs I gained from the strength training.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the idea of starvation having a catabolic effect is bunk just as an FYI. There a numerous medical studies out there showing starvation decreases your metabolism and has a catabolic effect on muscle after about 48-72 hours, and even then its not that significant. I have seen many people use fasted training to get cut down to 5% bodyfat while still gaining strength wise. Not saying it is for everyone but if you are relatively lean (12% body fat or less) and you want to be really ripped (7% BF or lower) then fasted training can work wonders. Again as stated above it is what works best for you. I have been seriously lifting and training for the past decade (29 now, started when I was 19) and I can say I have tried pretty much every type of training out there and I have had the best results from fasted training. Of course you wouldn't practice fasted training indefinately, however I can usually cut 2%-3% body fat off in 2-3 months by utilizing fasted training. A great website that shows this method of training is www.leangains.com. Tons of useful info. Again take it for what its worth and do what works best for you. The diet and training certainly isnt for the faint of heart or for individuals just starting a training program after years of time off but if you are looking to get really lean and have tried a bunch of different training methods then you may want to give this one a look. Hope this helps!
Old 05-05-2011, 10:50 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Fasted is a good type of training but like u stated its not for the basic guy, girl
I may look into it but not for anothe yr of a good diet (LOW IN FAT, MED CARBS, HIGH PROTIENS) followed by a diet based in (HIGH UNSATURATED FATS, HIGH QUALITY PROTIENS AND LOW CARBS)...I figure once I hit 205 I will train another FULL yr and then look to fasted training (CYCLE) to see if I can get even leaner and meaner
Old 05-06-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JS
Fasted is a good type of training but like u stated its not for the basic guy, girl
I may look into it but not for anothe yr of a good diet (LOW IN FAT, MED CARBS, HIGH PROTIENS) followed by a diet based in (HIGH UNSATURATED FATS, HIGH QUALITY PROTIENS AND LOW CARBS)...I figure once I hit 205 I will train another FULL yr and then look to fasted training (CYCLE) to see if I can get even leaner and meaner

Definately a sound plan. BTW congrats on the weight loss, definately an awesome accomplishment you should be proud of! I had a similar scenario. Senior in High School, 17 years old, 6'5" and 315 pounds (no muscle). Started slowly by cutting out refined sugars, fast food, soda, etc, and dropped about 100 pounds down to 215. Once I got there I started working on packing on some lean muscle. Got too caught up in getting bulky and was up around 260 pounds. Refined my training more to include HITT and Circuit Training and got down to a leaner 245 pounds but still not single digits like I had hoped. Then shifted to a paleo diet with fast training and was able to shed another 15 pounds to get to approx 8% body fat (leanest point ever). Over the winter I packed on some muscle and fat (was about 253 pounds and 12% body fat). Now im back on the fasted-training and im down around 10%ish or so, hoping to really make a push this month to get to 8% or so again for the summer. Fingers are crossed!
Old 05-07-2011, 09:42 AM
JS
10 Second Club

The paleo looks interesting, even a caveman can do it

This is one hobby thats not so easy, it take time and patience two things I struggle with at times but I LOVE it and will NOT GIVE IT UP FOR NOTHING...TRAIN, EAT AND REST

Quick Reply: Starting my cut cycle...CKD and more HIIT