Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Ran into a new Shelby GT500 tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 04:12 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Dave, just to make this clear, the entire 20 seconds that I was above 60mph, never once did I see another car much less pass anyone. Look at the picture above that I posted. Once I got past the clover leaf, all of the cars in the right lane exited, and the mustang thought it was his time to fly by me since there was noone in front of us as far as we could see (1-2 miles)

So please, don't make me out to be some child molester or some kind of deviant criminal, because I'm not. I would never have done it if there were cars on the road. I too am against street racing, but what I did was far from street racing. I didn't shut down traffic, or come to a crawl holding up traffic so I could run someone nor did I pass anyone or come close to anyone the entire time.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:16 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DMMizell
I really dont think I am the one that needs to get a grip...

So far the reasoning behind illegal street racing are;
Preface each one with "But officer"

1 The road is desolate (it is not)
2. I drive my Honda at 30-40 mph over the legal speed limit, why not 50-60??
3. At least I dont break the law like an import guy does...
4. It was just a small run..

Keep 'em coming see if we can get top ten reasons why....

Not preaching..I do my fast driving at the track in a controlled environment the way it should be.

I know anything I say will just be riduculed by those that partake in this activity. As has already been demonstrated by the responses. Just remember those cars you are flying by at 100+mph contain someones loved one, maybe mine.
I sure not one of you that are justifying this behavior would appreciate seeing a car fly by their wife or son or daughter at these speeds, I have and it is ridiculous.
Take your ride to the track to get the fix for speed, line it up with someone who knows they are in a race and let the beams decide.

Dave
Oh please, if youre not interested in the thread move on. If you want to preach, do it in the street racing section. OH wait, no one wants to hear it there either. To each their own. ****, you must have been awake for a early am commute. Minivans and big rigs cruise at 90
Old 05-28-2011, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I smell bacon
Old 05-28-2011, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

no harm done and you had some fun. whats the big deal?
Old 05-28-2011, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 216 Likes on 165 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Don't ever go Europe, DMMizell. They drive a damn sight faster than 107.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Whats the point in having these cars if you never get into it. If I could never go fast I sure as hell would not want to drive this thing.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:23 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Let me just say this... there is a big difference between breaking the law and being unsafe and reckless. Did I break the law, yes, the law states that the posted speed limit was 55mph (maybe it was 50) and I went above that. But was it unsafe or reckelss? Well, considering there was noone in sight in front of me which was a good 1-2 miles, and it was perfect weather conditions, no rain, no fog, and the road conditions were good, I'd say it no less safe than running at an 1/8 mile track. I simply wound out third gear. No wheelspin, no shifting, just downshifted to third and nailed it.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:31 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Let me just say this... there is a big difference between breaking the law and being unsafe and reckless. Did I break the law, yes, the law states that the posted speed limit was 55mph (maybe it was 50) and I went above that. But was it unsafe or reckelss? Well, considering there was noone in sight in front of me which was a good 1-2 miles, and it was perfect weather conditions, no rain, no fog, and the road conditions were good, I'd say it no less safe than running at an 1/8 mile track. I simply wound out third gear. No wheelspin, no shifting, just downshifted to third and nailed it.
I give... to each his own.
No offense intended to anyone here.
If your out there blasting around please be careful and not let your EGO or emotions get the best of you. I know, in my younger years I got caught up in the "i'll show you...mentality" and it can get dangerous real fast.
Those of you who have done it know what I mean... Maybe the next time some punk in a Honda or Mustang starts taunting you in traffic... be the better man...

"but officer, you should see the data log for that run"

just sayin'...be safe..think before you act...be prepared to accept the consequences for your actions.

Really guys...come out to the track and race with fellow enthusiasts and show you skill as a driver, car owner, builder tuner etc...
Leave this sillyness for the kids...
Old 05-29-2011, 08:05 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Dave, I'm 35 y/o with a wife and two kids and a corporate career, I most certainly think before I act and evaluate the consequences of my actions before I act.

This guy was trying to goat me for a good 10 minutes on 202 while we were in traffic in Flemington and I did nothing. I quietly cruized in the left lane at 60, slowly passing the traffic. I was not about to mess around with this guy while in traffic or at traffic lights.

I agree 100% with you. If I had in fact been pulled over, I wouldn't have made excuses, I simply would have been respectful and honest and accepted whatever was thrown at me.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:44 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Dave, I'm 35 y/o with a wife and two kids and a corporate career, I most certainly think before I act and evaluate the consequences of my actions before I act.

This guy was trying to goat me for a good 10 minutes on 202 while we were in traffic in Flemington and I did nothing. I quietly cruized in the left lane at 60, slowly passing the traffic. I was not about to mess around with this guy while in traffic or at traffic lights.

I agree 100% with you. If I had in fact been pulled over, I wouldn't have made excuses, I simply would have been respectful and honest and accepted whatever was thrown at me.
Alchemist,
I know the feeling well, some kid with a new toy daddy bought wants to go out and show off. Happened to me many times with the Chevelle. It just gets the better of you and we do these things. I am sorry if I offended anyone here that does this...not my intention.
I am a little sensitive with my youngest daughter just getting her permit and driving on these roads.
The reality is that responsible enthusiasts are far less of a danger than these people that can't put down their phone while driving. Many more accidents caused by these folks...

Challenge all your buddys to meet at the track and see who comes home with bragging rights. We live within driving distance of so many tracks that have test and tune days. Bring a grill cook some dogs and you may just get hooked. Usually a gruop of Mustangs/Mopars/imports there so you can get some grudge racing in. Just run your car get a timeslip and watch what others do....

God Bless,
Dave
Old 05-30-2011, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds like you just naturally reacted to the challenge and WON! I don't street race, but I don't really care either, when the road is open. The only concern I have at that point is whether or not anything is likely to enter the path... including animals, because these things can cause crashes not at all likely on a track. It happens daily to people who are just driving along at normal speeds.

I also think speeding tickets should be outlawed! That's just me.

Btw, any model year Shelby could have a paper tag for various reasons.

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
Minivans and big rigs cruise at 90
Heh... Minivans at 85(or even 90), I see often enough. To be sure, most "big rigs" simply won't go 90mph... Many of them and maybe even most of them are speed limited to 65mph or less. I've had 2 "ungoverned" and neither would go 90... I've been above 85 in some, but only downhill.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:47 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Sounds like you just naturally reacted to the challenge and WON! I don't street race, but I don't really care either, when the road is open. The only concern I have at that point is whether or not anything is likely to enter the path... including animals, because these things can cause crashes not at all likely on a track. It happens daily to people who are just driving along at normal speeds.

I also think speeding tickets should be outlawed! That's just me.

Btw, any model year Shelby could have a paper tag for various reasons.

Heh... Minivans at 85(or even 90), I see often enough. To be sure, most "big rigs" simply won't go 90mph... Many of them and maybe even most of them are speed limited to 65mph or less. I've had 2 "ungoverned" and neither would go 90... I've been above 85 in some, but only downhill.
Mine in governed at 85 and it will pull to 85 loaded... You won't find many if any owner operators with a limiter set at 65... And over the road trucks will break 100 loaded
Old 05-30-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Devilish34
Mine in governed at 85 and it will pull to 85 loaded... You won't find many if any owner operators with a limiter set at 65... And over the road trucks will break 100 loaded
Factory limiters are typically set to 85mph in America(less in Canada) and have been in use since the mid 1990's. Most trucks capable of more than 85 are modified to do so. The point is, 90 isn't a reasonable "cruising speed" for tractors. When I started driving them in 1986, there were no limiters to speak of and the only ones going that fast were doing so on nearly empty highways. Things have changed, whether or not they are good changes. All but 2 of my trucks were OTR's and just wouldn't go that fast on flat land under their own power, loaded or empty. I know a few who claim theirs will break 100, but most certainly don't. For that matter, most won't reach 90 on flat highway.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:51 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

90 was a number I threw out there. Hell I've gotten stuck in/behind 3/4 rig conveys who are driving 3 lanes wide on rt.84 at 85MPH no problem passing cars in the left lane. And THAT is sketchy.

Were arguing over a few MPH here. While my point was that a quick run up 107MPH on a straight desolate stretch of road is NOT overly extreme.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome run, sounds like fun.

Dave, your fingers are gonna be cramping if you're gonna have this kind of input for every street racing thread....
Old 05-31-2011, 06:07 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Guys, I wouldn't even call this 'street racing' per say.

It was a quick highway blast that lasted one gear...lol. It's not like we slowed down to 30mph, lined up, waited, honked, and then raced to 130.

He tried to do a ricer fly-by in the right lane, and I down shifted to third, and 4 seconds later, he was 2 cars behind me and shutting down.

***The time it took you to read those 4 sentences was actually longer than the 'race' lasted***

Quick Reply: Ran into a new Shelby GT500 tonight.