Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Need any info on the Staffing Industry

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need any info on the Staffing Industry

I landed a job today doing sales at a staffing company in andover ma called salestart. im kinda hesitant to take the job A. because i dont know much about the industry at all and B. because this was my very first interview and it all is happening so fast.

So does anyone have any expirence in this industry? any advice? anyone ever hear of salestart? or sapphire? good? bad? anything really. They want me to call tomorrow morning with a decision on taking he job or not.

btw it was the longest interview i've ever had. I was there for 2 hours. met with the CEO, then he gave me a tour then i met with the division manager then another employee. apparantly its $30k year base pay plus comission.

btw this would be my first real job out of college. I worked as a general service tech at sullivan tire through college.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:30 AM
10 Second Club

PM 2ktransam His Girl does that type of stuff.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to do this kind of work and glad I"m out. It really heavily depends on the volume what kinda of staffing you will be doing. You can make the big bucks with this but beware of the craziness that it entails. Can you supply details such as what kinda of staffing agency it is. (IT, Human Resources, Technical, mechanical) Will you be doing temp, temp to hire, or direct hire? Wil it be outside sales to companies, or internal or both? What are the hours? Will there be mentoring? What is commission based up on and how much commission is being offered. Will you work on direct sales leads or will you be cold calling? Just some things to think about.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by xt1nct
I used to do this kind of work and glad I"m out. It really heavily depends on the volume what kinda of staffing you will be doing. You can make the big bucks with this but beware of the craziness that it entails. Can you supply details such as what kinda of staffing agency it is. (IT, Human Resources, Technical, mechanical) Will you be doing temp, temp to hire, or direct hire? Wil it be outside sales to companies, or internal or both? What are the hours? Will there be mentoring? What is commission based up on and how much commission is being offered. Will you work on direct sales leads or will you be cold calling? Just some things to think about.
Apparently its staffing for technology/software sales. It would be direct hire. It be to outside companies (clients) hours 8:30 to 6 mon thru fri yup there will be mentoring/training (i actually shadowed a recruiter 2day as 2nd part of the interview) not sure on the commission but i know its around 30k base pay plus commission and most of it is cold calling. So what do you think? Pretty good for a very first job?
Old 06-02-2011, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is your degree in?
i would keep looking if i were you...
Old 06-02-2011, 06:23 PM
11 Second Club

i have BA's in both history and economics.

i figured i could take the job and keep looking while i make some cash. hey maybe i'll even like it a lot who knows.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

I'm in sales and salestart was one of the recruiting companies I used. I would give it a shot.

Sales aint easy but you can make good money
Old 06-02-2011, 09:52 PM
11 Second Club

How was ur expirence with salestart? More importantly what company do u work with and what do they think of salestart?
Old 06-03-2011, 07:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

I too have heard tough reviews about staffing sales, but no matter where you start in sales you will learn a lot especially if that is where you want to stay. And you have to start somewhere. Not to mention, its tough to find a job right now anywhere. I would use it as a foundation, learn some things and keep looking for something else while i banked some cash. If you live at home?? 30k plus commission isnt terrible. I started at something similar for a year and moved on to bigger and better things and pretty much tripled my income. The main thing is you have to start somewhere and its usually in places like this. The benefit of commission is it really makes you hustle. I work on 100% commission/bonus currently and really like it. Will you get any sort of bonus plan? That is usually where you can make the most..
Old 06-03-2011, 08:18 AM
Internet Mechanic

Comission only Sales is where it sucks. AFLAC is having a major recruitment campaign in Connecticut. I was tempted to check it out but when your doing mass hirings, there is about 200 people hired for 100 jobs and though cutting and weeding they keep the best. I can't leave my job and get screwed trying to do this new one.

Especially when you dump a ton of sales agents in a new market.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:47 AM
11 Second Club

i called him this morning and told him i was still interested. he said he'll call me back around 1pm with a decision.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

You have two BA's? As in Bachelor's Degree- 4 year? In History and ECONOMICS?

And you're considering a job -cold calling- as your first out-of-college job?

Please take no offense, but Im embarrassed by something here.

Anyhow- I would keep looking. What did your degree in economics train you to do? What did you learn as requirements/pertinent course work in regards to your major?

Do you have any interest in either history or economics?
Old 06-03-2011, 08:31 PM
11 Second Club

i have interest in making money.

history was more my favorite out of the two degrees, economics i kinda fell into trying to get the most out of my 4 years. what do you suggest i look to get into then with my degrees? im not too sure what entry level jobs out there would want me, and which ones make the most money. please inform me. im very green.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Specialized
You have two BA's? As in Bachelor's Degree- 4 year? In History and ECONOMICS?

And you're considering a job -cold calling- as your first out-of-college job?

Please take no offense, but Im embarrassed by something here.

Anyhow- I would keep looking. What did your degree in economics train you to do? What did you learn as requirements/pertinent course work in regards to your major?

Do you have any interest in either history or economics?

Job market is tough and if money is what hes after... I dont know any history majors making big bucks I at least know some salespeople making big bucks.

If this guys a hustler (aka: hard worker) he'll make more money here than anything in the field of history.

Heads up though the area of recruiting you're going into has been hit HARD by the economy. That being said in a good economy guys could make 100-200K after only 2-3 years in the business and 100K+ their first year so in a bad economy 40-50K wouldent be a terrible life.. Remember that doesnt sound like much but its $1000 a week.. not bad for first job out of college, thats equivelent to like $25 an hour.

I got the sense from my experience that sales start was kinda bush league, that being said my family business is Sales recruiting and my father had 20 yrs doing it, and I've done it for a while so I have high standards. The recruiter I worked with was an idiot, if you end up taking the job I'll pm you who I worked with but the guy didnt listen to anything and I could have sold myself better than he did, after I refused to work with him any more I started working with an account manager over there who was a really good guy and had a ****** clue. So I prob just dealt with a bad apple, you find them in all the places.

Let me tell you something though recruiting.. if it goes bad.. could really turn you off to sales all together which it shouldent. The fact that your trying it at all though says something.

I do know of another place that is very good. Dont know if they are hiring though and I'm not sure if they'd take someone without any experience but Its called Treeline.

First things first though, get the offer from this company.. (thats what you'll learn in the recruiting industry) then make up your mind if you want it or not. No reason to really think about it till they make you an offer, because you dont have anything till you have that.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:32 AM
11 Second Club

^^^ thats exactly what i was thinking. this would be a decent first job (money wise) out of college. hell 40k-50k my first year would be amazing. thats just about what my fathe rmakes, if not more. and hes been working with his company for 40 years!

but im definetly all ears if people know of other good paying jobs that i could probably get.

yea i dn when u used them but they are only 3 years old. but growing very fast. there best month ever was last month. so they are definetly on the rise. it was a very relaxed office CEO was pretty cool, but not like too cool if u know what i mean. He had order and disipline he was just laid back. the division manager who is hiring me is really cool and lives legit 2 streets from me lol. so maybe u just delt with them early on and they have gotten better? who knows. all i know is there is money to be made..........

and he called me yesterday and told me to come in monday at 3pm to see the offer they have for me. so its looking good.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the company isn't the typical staffing company that just under cuts the competition its worth taking a crack at. Those types of companies don't pay well and only care about the bottom line instead of growing through good customer service. My girlfriend has been at her current company for six years and I can tell you its a good living. She works a ton of hours and is normally stressed out but she makes a great living.

Right now is actually the best time to be in the temp business due to the bad economy. 2010 was her companies best year to date and it should stay that way for a while. Most companies don't want to risk full time hires right now so the temp industy is booming.

Two of her companies biggest offices are in Boston so you could look into them as well if you are close. I pm'ed you so we can talk off line if you want. Good luck.