Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Whos brand new ZR1 was smashed up on friday at NED??

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 09:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

The mustang didnt puke right before the zr1 guy ran. There waslike 10-20 cars before the zr1 guy. Then I was very next after zr1. I didnt hook on that pass atempt. They can only clean it up so well I guess
Old 06-06-2011, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I've seen they are pretty thorough at NED when it comes to cleanup. Too much at stake not to be.

I remember that Ford GT wrecking at the rental at LVD. I was told it blew a coolant line near one of the back tires. I felt bad for everyone who paid their $100 to sit around for like two hours while they picked up the pieces.

And +1 for NOT running big power cars at the track on street tires. Hell my car was a little scary on street tires, went sideways on the 1-2 shift once.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:14 AM
8 second mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the track was in pretty good shape for street night. we got 2, 9 sec cars down without an issue.
the stang blew its guts out early. (8 ish) we made 2 passes in the low 9 sec stang and one 9.85 (close to best pass ever in another stang. track wasnt bad at all for street night. i was talking to paul while the crew cleaned top end (paul is the starter) while talking, he preped the line.
90% driver error if i have any say. ive pulled 4th and gone sideways, it can happen to anyone and it can happen fast. im thinking it happened to fast for this guy.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:57 AM
TECH Regular

I dont get it how this guy was a idiot for racing his car? It sucks that he crashed but **** happens. If he would have ran a 10.8 pass on street tires everyone would have been on his nutz for running 10's on street tires!! What if he was spraying N20 and blew his motor or had a N20 backfire? Would he have been a idiot for using N20? Maybe the car that ran before the ZR1 leaked some fluid at the end of the track and thats why the car lost control? Who knows... **** happens and sometimes it happens to a POS Foxbody mustang and sometimes it happens to a 100,000 car..

Would I have ran a ZR1 without some stickey tires? No.. unless if I was just there to have fun and not really beat on it.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

if it was my car i would run it. for sure. what was the car purchased for? just to look it? not saying i would be looking for my best pass on a street night on street tires but i would have some fun with it.

which also makes me think insurance should cover it for the fact that you dont buy a 620hp corvette and pay a million dollar premium to insure it and not drive the car how it was intended. he bought a race car and insured a race car. so who covers the race car when it crashes?? its not like he was street racing and doing something illegal. he was using the car for its intended purpose..
Old 06-07-2011, 08:07 AM
Teching In

Oh man not a good day for that guy.
So from what I've read he was alright until the end of the 1/4. So, even on street tires he was going to be OK at that point. Jeez the shift miss is from 3 to 6 no problem there. You figure on street tires he was going to have his most fun at the 330. If he hit his 3-4 shift towards the end that things gotta have a lot of torque.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1998silverbird
Would I have ran a ZR1 without some stickey tires? No.. unless if I was just there to have fun and not really beat on it.
EXACTLY! thats why i think hes somewhat of a idiot! lol

Oh and what covers u at the track? race insurance. im sure he could of afforded it.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Im surprised people are calling him an idiot, the guy brought the car to a controlled enviroment so he wouldnt hurt someone else on the public road.

I rather him wreck at the track then on the highway and taking someone else with him.

Any one of us would of ran that car bone stock at the track with the stock tires!
Old 06-07-2011, 08:57 AM
12 Second Club

He literally spun in every gear going down the track, letting off and on the gas. I think his best pass was a 13 at 117mph or something close to that.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:26 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Krazy98Z28
Im surprised people are calling him an idiot, the guy brought the car to a controlled enviroment so he wouldnt hurt someone else on the public road.

I rather him wreck at the track then on the highway and taking someone else with him.

Any one of us would of ran that car bone stock at the track with the stock tires!
thats a good point about keeping it off the streets. i give him props for that. but i mean its a $100k car! take it easy going down the track geeze louise! lol
Old 06-07-2011, 09:53 AM
8 second mod

for what its worth, i didnt call him any names, and i would 100% race the car as well. no question about it. hell i took my buddys $120,000 lpe twin turbo 650 hp vett down the track a couple years back, car finnally started to hook in 3rd, i power shifter 4th and went 90% sideways, but i was able to drive it.
i think my best time was like 11.2

i did say the guy was very iffy of a driver, seemed to spin and spin and spin and spin. i would have done that once, maybe 2 times. then call it a day.

best run i saw was 14 something i think.

my best guess is he lost it going 3rd to 4th, car broke loose and he lost it. thats my guess. could happen to anyone thats a fact.
its just a shame.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:54 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by brians91formula
He literally spun in every gear going down the track, letting off and on the gas. I think his best pass was a 13 at 117mph or something close to that.
That's what I was talking about in my earlier comment. If you know you're going to have no traction, then don't try and push it and lose traction going 110+ mph.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:37 AM
9 Second Club

Not like it used to be with these false insurance claims. Car has Navigation?, Satellite radio-, on star , if there's an investigation they could prolly see the car was in the tracks vicinity. betcha you could find it on you tube somewhere as well.
Insurance fraud=Jail=*** violations
Very unfortunate.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by tektrans
Insurance fraud=Jail=*** violations
Sig worthy.

Also very true. Good o'le On Star. FREE for 1 year!!
Old 06-07-2011, 11:04 AM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
You would need a police report. I am no cop but beleive me when I say, they know when you wreck a car out or intentionally wreck it. Also claims adj will know their stuff too when it comes to this.

I have no clue if NED or any track needs to report this but unless the car burst into flames and burnt to the ground, they are going to ask where are all the other pieces if they question it.

I am an insurance agent and I can tell you from my exp. Calling in saying you had a accident and not having a report to back it up will not get you far and they do investigate.

Also to really answer your question. IF the owner does what you say, its a felony. So it really depends on how brave they are.
Around here cops dont normally write reports for single car accidents. I even asked and they flat out refused unless someone got hurt or I damaged property. So far two totaled cars with no accident report and my insurance company never asked twice before stroking a check.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
Around here cops dont normally write reports for single car accidents. I even asked and they flat out refused unless someone got hurt or I damaged property. So far two totaled cars with no accident report and my insurance company never asked twice before stroking a check.
Every company is different. With a 100k plus vehicle, beleive me, it wont be that simple.

Back 10 years ago my 1970 Chevelle got Dinged in the rear bumper, pushed into the 1/4 and needed work. Damage est over 5k. Was insured with Hagerty and their rule is if its 4k or less, they just cut a check. More then 4k, they send the adj out. I had no report, it was hit in a parking lot w/o cameras, no witness, no report, and got a VERY hard time to get the work done. I ended up getting like 3k, and then I had it fixed. I had to eat some money and very bad exp. This was long before my career in the insurance industry.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Krazy98Z28

very good point.. Was thinking the same thing today as well while I was at work.. Better have him crash at the track@ 117mph then on the street...
Old 06-07-2011, 04:09 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

He's not an idiot for wrecking at the track, he's an idiot for continuing to push his car at the track after multiple attempts that resulted in massive wheel spin in every gear.

Seriously, who buys and mods a ZR1 to see how fast it'll go in a quarter mile anyways? It would be a different story if on his first attempt of the night, he rolled into it easy, and when shifting into second the back end got lose and came around. But from all accounts, he had multiple runs that night that resulted in massive wheel spin.

Folks, when playing Russian roulette, you usually pull the trigger only once. If you continue to pull the trigger, it will eventually fire. That's no longer Russian roulette but instead it's suicide.
He decided to continue to test fate, and lost. Period. End of story.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
He's not an idiot for wrecking at the track, he's an idiot for continuing to push his car at the track after multiple attempts that resulted in massive wheel spin in every gear.

Seriously, who buys and mods a ZR1 to see how fast it'll go in a quarter mile anyways? It would be a different story if on his first attempt of the night, he rolled into it easy, and when shifting into second the back end got lose and came around. But from all accounts, he had multiple runs that night that resulted in massive wheel spin.

Folks, when playing Russian roulette, you usually pull the trigger only once. If you continue to pull the trigger, it will eventually fire. That's no longer Russian roulette but instead it's suicide.
He decided to continue to test fate, and lost. Period. End of story.
Right...so then who buys a Z06, Who buys an SS or WS6 to race it on the strip? Were any of these cars "made" for the quarter mile? I would argue no not at all but we all like to test limits in a straight line time to time.

Lots of you weren't even at the track and are just going off what the OP said. In the end guy screwed up car is F'ed ... **** happens.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:28 PM
TECH Junkie

you know, depending on his insurance company, he could still have it covered by them.
its not like he was racing.. it was a test and tune night, right?

Quick Reply: Whos brand new ZR1 was smashed up on friday at NED??