Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Whos brand new ZR1 was smashed up on friday at NED??

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 05:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
He's not an idiot for wrecking at the track, he's an idiot for continuing to push his car at the track after multiple attempts that resulted in massive wheel spin in every gear.

Seriously, who buys and mods a ZR1 to see how fast it'll go in a quarter mile anyways? It would be a different story if on his first attempt of the night, he rolled into it easy, and when shifting into second the back end got lose and came around. But from all accounts, he had multiple runs that night that resulted in massive wheel spin.

Folks, when playing Russian roulette, you usually pull the trigger only once. If you continue to pull the trigger, it will eventually fire. That's no longer Russian roulette but instead it's suicide.
He decided to continue to test fate, and lost. Period. End of story.
So if I take my T/A to the track on street tires I should just stop running it as soon as I get tire spin or should I try to lower the tire pressure and try to launch a little different and try out different things before I throw in the towl?? Calling the guy a idiot because he crashed his Corvette at a Track is just stupid!! When I think Corvette I think track. I know if I had a ZR1 the 1st place I would be is at the racetrack or dyno.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
you know, depending on his insurance company, he could still have it covered by them.
its not like he was racing.. it was a test and tune night, right?
Lots of classic insurance/collector policies are written with language something to the effect.....no use in a "timed event". They may mention racing specifically, but a "timed event" is very common language to cover all bases. A single pass on TNT could be argued that it isn't racing, so that's one example where the "timed event" becomes a catch all phase for racing or any semblance of it.

HPDE's are one gray area, because you are on track but often there are no lap times available during or even after the event is concluded. So that would be interesting if you had an issue at a track day event, but I'd rather not find out first hand.

I'm not aware of any insurance company that will insure a car while it is on track, or in competition. I have a collector policy on my Firechicken and I am covered in the pits, paddock etc so long as the car is NOT moving under its own power., meaning if I am pushing the car to the lanes or to grid and I get T-boned, they cut the check. If I start the car and drive through the pits or paddock and get T-boned,

Every policy is different and lots of companies won't even offer a policy if you admit the car is raced. So be careful at the track, its all on you and relying on the those around you to have their collective heads screwed on straight.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:50 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1QWIKBIRD
Lots of classic insurance/collector policies are written with language something to the effect.....no use in a "timed event". They may mention racing specifically, but a "timed event" is very common language to cover all bases. A single pass on TNT could be argued that it isn't racing, so that's one example where the "timed event" becomes a catch all phase for racing or any semblance of it.

HPDE's are one gray area, because you are on track but often there are no lap times available during or even after the event is concluded. So that would be interesting if you had an issue at a track day event, but I'd rather not find out first hand.

I'm not aware of any insurance company that will insure a car while it is on track, or in competition. I have a collector policy on my Firechicken and I am covered in the pits, paddock etc so long as the car is NOT moving under its own power., meaning if I am pushing the car to the lanes or to grid and I get T-boned, they cut the check. If I start the car and drive through the pits or paddock and get T-boned,

Every policy is different and lots of companies won't even offer a policy if you admit the car is raced. So be careful at the track, its all on you and relying on the those around you to have their collective heads screwed on straight.
I looked through my policy a couple years ago and it was pretty in depth. No coverage at timed events, no coverage in any form of "sporting competition" or something like that. Also had something about "Track events". Basically... you just have to assume from the second you pass the front gates... you aren't covered.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:00 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I respect that he took it to a track to see what it would do, rather then do it on a public road.. and props to him for that. I do, unfortunately think this was a case of alot more car then the driver could handle, even if he had racing exp. from years ago... it could have been 13 second car experience for all anyone knows.

In the end... the guy should have taken it easy for a few runs before trying to go ***** to the wall with it, just to get the feel for the car. Wether he did that or not I don't know, noone will at this point.

Live and learn gentlemen... if you want to go to the track.. your first pass, even with a car you have been running for a while... should probably be a somewhat easy run just to make sure that you are farmiliar with the car, and to make sure it's not going to surprise you. I'm sure this guy, when that car started to go, was certainly surprised out of his pants.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:53 PM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Every company is different. With a 100k plus vehicle, beleive me, it wont be that simple.

Back 10 years ago my 1970 Chevelle got Dinged in the rear bumper, pushed into the 1/4 and needed work. Damage est over 5k. Was insured with Hagerty and their rule is if its 4k or less, they just cut a check. More then 4k, they send the adj out. I had no report, it was hit in a parking lot w/o cameras, no witness, no report, and got a VERY hard time to get the work done. I ended up getting like 3k, and then I had it fixed. I had to eat some money and very bad exp. This was long before my career in the insurance industry.
True my car was just a cheap E55 AMG.

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
you know, depending on his insurance company, he could still have it covered by them.
its not like he was racing.. it was a test and tune night, right?
True some warranties and insurance cover non competitive events such as a test and tune or HPDE. Varies greatly in each case though. Even so I think someone who buys a ZR-1 has the means to replace it.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:01 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I stand by what I said.

I wasn't there, I'm only going off of what others said who were there. He was spinning bad each time he went down the track so why risk your $100,000 car?

My point with questioning why he'd want to drag race a ZR1 is because the car was engineered and designed to run on road coarses. I'm not saying you can't drag race it, but if you're going to drag race it, put on a better pair of tires. Dropping pressure on a 20" tire isn't going to magically give you traction. I honestly feel bad for the guy, but he should have thrown in the towel when he realized he couldn't get any traction.

That's all I'm saying. This wasn't a shocker if on every run prior he was spinning badly.

Sometimes you just gotta cut your loses before you do something you regret, and this guy didn't do that.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:20 PM

That definitely sucks. Not something you ever like to see happen to someone.

If Monday morning quarterbacking was a valid profession, there would be alot of people in here making a good living.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Regular

If any person on this thread came into the money to afford one everyone on here would be egging him on to take it to the strip to see what it did "bone stock" with street tires. Im sure if I got one I would. Friday night racing probably isnt the best place to do it though, I hardly ever run on Friday nights, too many ricers and other yahoo's who dont know what they're doing run on Fridays around here. I go to the saturday t&t days where there are usually more experienced racers and better track prep. From the sound of things, this guy didnt have much experience drag racing, or if he did he only ever ran a car with 1/2 the hp this thing has. If he was spinning on most gears before hitting 4th he should have gotten out of it, spinning hitting 4th is never a good feeling...
Old 06-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

I just found tonight that this person is from my area. His name is Paul and the car was bone stock. He has owned many Vettes before and knows how to drive from what I was told. I have seen the car at cruise nights in my area. As far as what happened I can't answer that question. All I was told is the car got wrecked at the track and was totaled.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:25 PM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by GREGG 97Z
If any person on this thread came into the money to afford one everyone on here would be egging him on to take it to the strip to see what it did "bone stock" with street tires.
You're right, and I would go take it to see what it would do... on a private rental day at a track that actually has a good prepped surface.

Certainly NOT a street/test and tune ricer night! At least give the car a fighting chance!
Old 06-07-2011, 09:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
You're right, and I would go take it to see what it would do... on a private rental day at a track that actually has a good prepped surface.

Certainly NOT a street/test and tune ricer night! At least give the car a fighting chance!
This^
Old 06-07-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

This site is absolutely swimming with people that do dumb **** in really fast cars (poster included). I'm surprised everyone is being so elitist about this poor guy.

Props to him for being one of the club and I hope everything works out for him and the ZR1.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Race your car!

**** I reserve all the dumb **** I do behind the wheel for my slow *** daily driver pickup

Fast cars... I try to be careful with LOL.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Teching In

I Refuse to go next right after a breakdown or someone spills on the track
I Refuse to be the first person to ride a roller coaster after it has broken down lol

But really we had something like that happen to a friend of mine she had a procharged LT1 T/A and she was next up against my friend with an LS1 Z28. The car before them leaked oil all the way down the track which took about 30 minutes to clean. The Z28 spun so the girl got out on him in the T/A and about 1/8 down the track she hits an oil spot, spins out and hits the wall just barley missing the Z28 who locked up the brakes.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didnt know id stirr up so much by calling the guy an idiot. I agree with the people above. He shoulda jus taken it easy. I mean thats a 6 figure car! Im sure hes a nice guy prolly jus got a lil too aggressive his last pass thats all.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:34 AM
Internet Mechanic

That pretty much sums it up on the driver's aspect. There is a place and time for everything. Had the car not been in a race or "timed event" most companies would make them fix it if the damage is not too much near the value limit of the car. I have seen some bad cars still get fixed due to the ACV.

**ACV- Actual Cash Value
Old 06-08-2011, 08:14 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by rdm85mcss
I just found tonight that this person is from my area. His name is Paul and the car was bone stock. He has owned many Vettes before and knows how to drive from what I was told. I have seen the car at cruise nights in my area. As far as what happened I can't answer that question. All I was told is the car got wrecked at the track and was totaled.
The car was blowing black smoke pretty bad. I'm not so sure it was stock.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

OnStar will be his enemy for insurance, unless he had some kind of coverage for racing events.

Sounds like he should have left the traction control and stabilitrack on

+1 for getting out of it if you're pedaling all the way down the track. Why slam 4th gear if you haven't had any traction all the up the track?
Old 06-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Race your car!

Once ya blow the tires off at the hit, unless it's a money run you mine as well stop.. there's next to no useful data or results to be had at that point.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Once ya blow the tires off at the hit, unless it's a money run you mine as well stop.. there's next to no useful data or results to be had at that point.
If you're in any kind of real drag car, and not jsut running for kicks, I agree.

my friend almost got his *** kicked for that though... idiots in the stands were betting on test and tune "races".... his car runs a 7flat in the 1/8, so it was quicker then most street cars there... but we're there to dial down his launch on the new rear suspension, not get the best ET... so when he spins his tires on launch he doesnt get back in it... and "loses" to someone he shouldnt have.

some guys (dumb southern trash) wanted to kick his *** for that... lol.. dumbasses shouldnt have been betting on test and tune.

Quick Reply: Whos brand new ZR1 was smashed up on friday at NED??