Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

MD State inspection and Emmissions

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MD State inspection and Emmissions

I am rebuilding my 96 camaro that has never been registered in MD so it needs the initial inspection and emissions. I am at the point where i am installing my exhaust. Should I put the stock pipe and cats on or is there away to put my long tubes on with out cats. Also the EGR and AIR was removed and wont be on either. Is there anyplace to pass both of these. PM with a location if you can. prob have 2 months until its on the road but would rather not swap my exhaust if I dont have too.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not sure how the emissions stuff will pass the safety inspection, but for the emissions since its OBDII as long as its not popping any codes you will pass.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:02 AM
TECH Regular

They will spot check it but it depends on who is looking at it. most just dont care
Old 07-05-2011, 09:06 AM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

Most shops INITIAL inspection is very detailed. My old car failed due to worn suspension bushings.

Once through that you can just emissions it ever 2 years as long as your no codes your fine.

Finding a shop willing to just give you a inspection sticker can be a LOT harder and will normally run you over a 100 dollars and sometimes more.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I got my car inspected at a local gas station. From my experience for the initial safety inspection, it doesn't matter if your car is throwing codes or if anything is wrong mechanically. But, be sure everything else is in working order on the car and make sure you don't have tint. If you do, you are going to need to get it approved by a police station and have them put a sticker on your windows, or have them give you some kind of certification or something because if you don't they're going to fail you for that alone like they did me. I just removed mines and got them re-tinted about 2 weeks later after I passed inspection.

It costed me around $65 I think. It's a bitch to deal with but you have to do it.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:23 AM

You got lucky... Passing with no cats or EGR will normally be a quick fail.

Tint is no joke. Its a stupid amount of rules concidering its the ONLY time they check it without being pulled over.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CTSVBiggie
You got lucky... Passing with no cats or EGR will normally be a quick fail.

Tint is no joke. Its a stupid amount of rules concidering its the ONLY time they check it without being pulled over.
Well, the guy who inspected my car didn't even pay attention to anything mechanically related. He was just checking stuff like the brakes, turn signals, headlights, etc., stuff like that. I got mines done back in April when I first got the car, had a bad catalytic converter and the SES light was on, he didn't pay it any attention.

Also yeah, I agree about the tint. But once you pass inspection you can get it as dark as you want all around because you never have to go through that crap again. I got 27% all around on my car now and I haven't had any trouble with it from police.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:56 AM

Windows down and dome lights on!

And i guess it depends on the shop.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

They will check for emissions equipment. For AIR or EGR I think you will be fine since that varies between cars. If it's there, they mark it as present. With my 2002 TA, they simply crossed out the line for EGR on the sheet. I don't think they'd take the time to see which years had it or didn't, so I wouldn't worry about it.

For cats though, you're likely going to have a problem. They will look for cats. I talked to an inspector once about longtubes and he said he wouldn't care what headers they were, as long as they see cats in the system. They don't know exactly what is stock or not, but they do know that cats should be there.

Quick Reply: MD State inspection and Emmissions