Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Will an exhaust cut out pass inspection if its before the cats? In va

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Will an exhaust cut out pass inspection if its before the cats? In va

Can anyone help me with this? I'm trying to find away to get around using cats so any help will be appreciated
Old 08-03-2011, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

exhaust cutouts are in place of the old cats?
Old 08-03-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just swap my ORY and my catted Y when inspection time comes. I just tried to get through safety with the ORY and failed...yes, they actually looked under my car. I guess it will depend where you go, but it only took me about an hour to swap my y pipes tonight.

Good luck!
Old 08-04-2011, 06:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No I would keep my cats and cutout goes in front of them. Maybe Il just swap between pipes but that's a pain in the *** and Il have to buy 2 y pipes
Old 08-04-2011, 02:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Isn't the whole point of a cutout to be able to control it and thus the exhaust volume?

So why not have the cutouts be closed when you go for inspections and be the same exact thing as not having a cutout to begin with?

With a properly installed and sealing cutout, the exhaust volume will be literally the same as before the cutout when the pipe was fully intact. So if you can pass with that, you can pass with a CLOSED cutout just as easily. Now if your cutout is leaking yeah you may not pass because it's gonna be friggin' loud with an exhaust leak near the cylinder heads.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does VA do sniffer, or just visual and OBDII? If the latter, just put in fake cats and have the codes tuned out.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by X-ray
Does VA do sniffer, or just visual and OBDII? If the latter, just put in fake cats and have the codes tuned out.
just visual and obdII on obdII equipped vehicles...to the op it really depends on where u go. For instance on my old car i had heads/cam and true duals with turndowns and the car was loud as hell and they never even looked under my car for cats yet with the car i have now i have boltons and an slp dual/dual on it which is much quieter and for some reason they were checking underneath my car for cats
Old 08-06-2011, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default no it will not

depends on the inspector but in va the regulations state no modifications welding repairs, taping, or other repairs you need to find a shop that deals with hot rods

Quick Reply: Will an exhaust cut out pass inspection if its before the cats? In va