Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Island Dragway in Great Meadows, NJ

Old 10-17-2011, 06:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Island busted mt ***** too for not having a drive shafty loop on a c5.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:44 AM
10 Second Club

Exclamation

Damn. I know and agree that safety/tech inspection is very important but I've been hearing these horror stories about Island's strictness on the topic for YEARS now (and even witnessed it once firsthand while there with a friend) and it's a bit out of hand.
In case they're curious about why their car counts/attendances are so low (and also why those who do go there tend to get as many runs as they do) then that is probably among the reasons why.
I'm not driving an hour+ only to be hassled and possibly sent home before I even make one pass in a well maintained daily driven car that I've already been safely racing for 5-10+ years now.
E-town and Atco suit me just fine.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

I don't know where you people have all these issues, do you act like dicks to the tech inspectors? Island has the most lax tech in the state. My buddy's TT GTO passed tech as a 'catback only' car so that he wouldn't need a fire jacket. He made a few passes and nobody picked up on it. Another guy had a massively cracked windshield, another had a trunk mounted battery with the push/pull not working and he passed fine as well. I've only ever seen the complete opposite about tech.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MuscleCarNut711
http://njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=57601 Pictures from the meet.

Here's for all you haters who say you can't hook at Island:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKn1r52-Upo
I've been going to island for a couple years now, although my car was broke most of the time because of my 10 bolt. The guy in this video obviously was racing on a saturday when they prep the track.

the thing about the tech's is its hit or miss. Sometimes you get a real dick for a tech. I've been there and they didn't even ask me to pop the hood.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

One thing to remember when your going through tech, Its saftey first. I know I wouldn't want to line up next to a car that didn't meet all the required safety regulations.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gotta agree with that. If its a rule interpretation problem, I understand where you are coming from. But if you are just ignoring the safety rules, you shouldn't be on the track.

With that said, they never looked at anything except my helmet.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Teching In

I agree that safety is important. Those who know me also know that I take it seriously.

It sounds like it may make a difference in terms of which tech person you get at Island.

I, unfortunately, got someone with a bad attitude as well as a lack of understanding about a C5, what a torque tube is, etc.

I acted with respect... I'm licensed for 7.50 Super Comp and my car is cert'ed to 8.50, along with all the required safety gear. However, they gave me a form that asked "Drive Shaft Saftey Loop?" and I wrote "torque tube" on it. In response, the tech guy read that and said: "You're wasting my ******* time."

Now, how do you expect me to react? "Oh thank you Sir; I am so glad I paid to be treated like that."

- I think I could do better at one of those S&M clubs in NYC - LOL

As mentioned, I later sent them photos from under the car and after they took it to the NHRA, I got a response from the track: "I have spoken to most of my tech people already regarding the issues you presented, especially the personal treatment, or lack thereof. I hope it does not happen again... The torque tube issue is resolved. After reviewing the rules and their intent, I do not feel that a driveshaft loop is required on the torque tube."

Yet, did I just read above that someone else ran into this same issue? When was that?
I actually have a loop around the torque tube. But, it's not there for safety: It suppresses the torque arm lifting effect of the entire drive train upon heavy launches by keeping the torque tube from flexing and distributing the torque load. However, since my driveshaft is carbon fiber, I have no idea what to expect if it broke - carbon and fiberglass residue?
If someone here is running a Drive Shaft Safety Loop on a car (Corvette C5) equipped with a torque tube... Post up some info
Old 10-18-2011, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

I agree on the safety issue - I was just stating what I know has passed to show that they are not always ball busters.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I was in no way referring to your specific situation either. I also do not have specific knowledge of the c5 drivetrain either. So I can't say what would be right or wrong. But there are a million c5's racing out there, so if there was a safety issue with the torque tube, i think everybody racing one would know about it.

I know for me personally, if someone showed up with a certified cage, I would not really be looking for much else in terms of safety, the right clothing and helmet, but thats about it.

Sounds like you just got someone who didn't know jack about the c5's.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 25thhawk
Yeah, I was in no way referring to your specific situation either. I also do not have specific knowledge of the c5 drivetrain either. So I can't say what would be right or wrong. But there are a million c5's racing out there, so if there was a safety issue with the torque tube, i think everybody racing one would know about it.

Sounds like you just got someone who didn't know jack about the c5's.
No worries, I didn't take it like I was singled out... I was just sharing my experience. And, I have not ruled out Island as a track to run; it's just not my first choice... Sounds like it can be "Luck of the Draw" in terms of who you tech in with.

It would be quite difficult to put a loop around a shaft that's 100% enclosed inside a tube.

Not mine, but this appears to be a pic someone took of a carbon fiber and an aluminum driveshaft; sitting next to the torque tube they fit inside:

The end result looks similar to this (not my car but an interesting pic):

Sorry, I got a little
Old 10-18-2011, 03:41 PM
10 Second Club

Talking

Originally Posted by Digivex
The end result looks similar to this (not my car but an interesting pic):

If your car was that light you'd be in the 7s LOL.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

I went back to island today. Once again I had no problems with tech, never even asked about DS loop or even asked me to open the hood. 2 minutes and I was done with tech. Was talking with a guy with a 02 vette, he had no issue either. Maybe they are getting better, I dont know.

The one track worker that got friendly with my 5 yr old a couple weeks ago, actually stopped me after doing my burnout to give me an NHRA pin for my son. I cant really see that happening at a big track. Might not matter as far as racing goes, but it sure made my sons day.

The way the tube looks, I would see no reason for a loop.

Ryan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Island Dragway in Great Meadows, NJ