Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Island Dragway in Great Meadows, NJ

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Island Dragway in Great Meadows, NJ

anybody race there. I went there this weekend. First time I have been there since my dad raced in the 70's. Small track, prep wasn't great, but I put in about a dozen runs. Prolly could have put in another dozen if it was a little cooler and wasn't making adjustments to the car.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:29 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haven't been there in 3 years.... Not only dose the track prep lack .... the Track staff has a **** poor attiude... Etown or atco all the way
Old 10-10-2011, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

I was there saturday. It was the first weekend they've been open in 6 or 9 weeks cant remember what the guy doing tech said. With that said I wasn't counting on the greatest of conditions. I prefer E-town over Island for various reasons.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

Ill definitely agree that the track prep was not as good as e-town. But the track workers I thought were very nice. One even stopped to talk with my 5 yr old son, wave to him in the stands etc. A real nice guy. Overall, I thought they were nicer than e-town. Obviously they dont have the resources or equipment that e-town has, but for the money was well worth it.

Last time I went to e-town, I got in 3 runs all day. They combined a bunch of races so that they can make more money and don't give a crap about whether it is worth it for racers to make the trip there. I made 12 passes at island and easily could have made another 12, if I wasn't messing around with the suspension. Well worth the money.

Pancho- what car were u in? I'd love to get a group of guys together one sat. cause I definitely could use some help getting my car to hook.

Ryan
Old 10-11-2011, 03:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I haven't been to island in a yr or so, track prep is usually crap, if u have anything that's make some power, forget about. The shut down is way to short and bumpy as hell. The only reason I go there is its only 40 mins from me, otherwise I'd go to maple grove.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

25thhawk- I agree I thought everybody there on saturday was nice. I had a red 94Z
There is a gm EFI race on the 22nd at E-town that I was thinking of attending. I may go to island sat w/ a friend, its supposed to be abit cooler then this previous. Low 60's vs the upper 70's on sat. There's a .1 and a mph
Old 10-12-2011, 07:42 AM
TECH Resident

Ill have to look for you next time. I have a 98 blue SS camaro. The only thing that pissed me off was how late they got started. The weather was good in the morning and by the time racing started it was 75 degrees. I was thinking about going this sat. as well.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SSPerformance
haven't been there in 3 years.... Not only dose the track prep lack .... the Track staff has a **** poor attiude... Etown or atco all the way
I agree. The last time I was there was about a year and a half ago. I could have gotten a better launch on the street, and the attitude of the staff was even worse than the track prep. I could get 16 shitty runs in at Island or 3 good runs at Englishtown. I have said before, If I lived right next to Island Dragway, I would still make the trip to Englishtown or Atco to race.

I think Island Dragway is under new managment, so the staff might have changed since I was there, but I still would rather race on a track that has good prep.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

NJ F-Body Owners club will be there this Saturday October 15th. We haven't been for a while.

Island has been under new management since the the last few months of last year's racing season. Track prep largely depends on the day. Fridays there is rarely prep and every idiot goes through the water box. Rarely is there issues hooking up on weekends.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pseudonym
I agree. The last time I was there was about a year and a half ago. I could have gotten a better launch on the street, and the attitude of the staff was even worse than the track prep. I could get 16 shitty runs in at Island or 3 good runs at Englishtown. I have said before, If I lived right next to Island Dragway, I would still make the trip to Englishtown or Atco to race.

I think Island Dragway is under new managment, so the staff might have changed since I was there, but I still would rather race on a track that has good prep.
The staff acts like you owe them the world at island They busted my ***** for having my race fuel in the metal 5 gallon vp container. The place is a joke to say the least I wouldn't race there if it was free. I must say I did not have traction issues.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

Musclecar: How many cars from the club are going?

I honestly couldn't say the prep was good or bad. It was my first time on slicks and I was spinning alittle to 1.65 60ft times in a 4000lb car with 430rwhp. I think it could be better, but it wasn't that bad. It is definitely not on the same level as e-town or atco, but I'm not running in the 8's either. There were some fast cars there. Couple of 7 second dragsters. I didn't see anyone not able to hook. There was a B/SA firebird there running 10.50's, so I gotta think the track was reasonably good.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There will probably be about 20 other F-Bodies there this Saturday.

It's not the best--ET wise--but if you want to get a ton of passes in and just have an afternoon/night of BS'ing with other car guys, it's a good place to be.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 25thhawk
Ill have to look for you next time. I have a 98 blue SS camaro. The only thing that pissed me off was how late they got started. The weather was good in the morning and by the time racing started it was 75 degrees. I was thinking about going this sat. as well.
Yea I think I saw your car there. You have clear tail lights and a double gauge pod ? You running a factory 10 bolt by chance? I ask this b/c Ive grown to fear the 10 blot after seeing my friend bust his, he only has a mild mid 12sec 3rd gen. cuts 1.6x's 60fts and trap around 106-108. Granted that was after many many passes over a few yrs but still. He just installed a nice pretty 12 bolt. Im now on the hunt for a used 12 bolt or a new one come tax refund time =). I got a nice new yank 3600stall to put in but.................... I want to till next season for that
Old 10-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Been a while since I posted here, but found this an interesting topic.

I went to Island about a year ago (give or take) and got busted heavy in tech for not having a driveshaft safety loop. I explained that would be difficult on a C5 vette with a torque tube. The guy told me I "was wasting his ******* time."

I wrote the track after I got home and even sent them photos from under the car... They politely replied (I have removed names, but otherwise these are direct copies)...
Thank you for your comments... First, I would like to take the time to apologize for the treatment you said you received at the track. Regarding the torque tube issue, I will be at the tech meetings with NHRA this weekend. Having personally not crawled under a late model vette, I don't want to make a decision one way or another at this time. I urge anyone who has a problem with any of our staff, or a disagreement in the interpretation of a rule to simply, and courteously, request any of our staff members to contact myself or XXXXX. We will do our best to make a fair decision. Regarding issues such as this torque tube, we have heard time and again about certain items being allowed, even up to the National event level. Upon further investigation, most times, our tech personnel's decision was correct, and either what we were being told by the racer was inaccurate, or yes, other tracks turned a blind eye to an issue. Sorry, but we generally do not turn a blind eye to a safety issue.
They replied again five days later...
I have spoken to most of my tech people already regarding the issues you presented, especially the personal treatment, or lack thereof. I hope it does not happen again. If you, or anyone feel they are being mistreated, or treated less than respectfully, I urge someone to calmly request ANYONE at the track with a two way radio, to get hold of myself, XXXX, or XXXXX. One of us is ALWAYS on the property.

The torque tube issue is resolved. After reviewing the rules and their intent, I do not feel that a driveshaft loop is required on the torque tube.
I have not been back since then, although I would give it a shot...maybe - I would have to think about it since e-town is only 30 minutes away and feels like family.

Island is definitely "old school" - maybe best for a '55 Belair restomod
Old 10-13-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

I'm going to try to make it on sat.

Pancho- Yes that was my car with the clear taillights. No not a 10 bolt. I broke it once and wouldn't trust it. I now have a s60 that I got from Carl at CRP. He is a sponsor, great to deal with, great rearend. I think that when I was done with it, it was still cheaper than a 12bolt. It is heavier, but I have no gear whine, stronger posi, larger axles and ring gear. I think it is the best choice for a 6spd car, prolly overkill for an a4.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jersey Mike
There will probably be about 20 other F-Bodies there this Saturday.

It's not the best--ET wise--but if you want to get a ton of passes in and just have an afternoon/night of BS'ing with other car guys, it's a good place to be.
This. Atco is the faster track but is also pretty far if you're debating between the two tracks. Island has a throwback feel and you get a ton of runs in, unlike Etown which is always crowded and having cars break.

Originally Posted by 25thhawk
I'm going to try to make it on sat.
Excellent! I'll be wearing a black NJFBOA shirt and we'll probably be walking in a pack. You're welcome to join us for dinner at 5:30 at Applebees in Hackettstown as well.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like good times. To bad I cant make it this saturday. Gonna try and do E-town next sat for the GM EFI series
Old 10-16-2011, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

http://njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=57601 Pictures from the meet.

Here's for all you haters who say you can't hook at Island:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKn1r52-Upo
Old 10-16-2011, 08:50 PM
8 Second Club

Any plans of puting any money into that place.... A little bit of money into that place whould turn it around
Old 10-16-2011, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

Ahh man looks like I missed good times

Quick Reply: Island Dragway in Great Meadows, NJ