Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Why don't they run powerlines under ground

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In general Americans are great inovaters of technology but at the same time the worse to implement it. Unless they absolutely "have to, need to" or if the benefit was un-ignorable.

That is the bottom line.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i work for the utility company in philly area. you can believe what i say or don't i don't give a **** but this is what i know..

anybody in CT. you don't have power because your utility company/state or whoever didn't pay the contractors yet from hurricane irene. CT is notoriously bad at paying contractors so nobody goes up there. here in my "area" we had tons of contractors for both hurricane irene and the recent storm, i barely had to climb any poles.

the underground lines question- there are a LOT of lines underground, and they go out ALL OF THE TIME. storms don't affect them but they consistenly fail all year round. i get probably 40% of my overtime from underground faults and we get tons and tons of overtime. our underground fault locate department is so far behind i think they are up to 100+ underground faults behind- we run temporary cables to restore the power immediate.

underground power lines, like aerial lines, only last so long before they need to be replaced or fixed. the pad mount transformers and submersible transformers fail more than the aerial ones too. so PLEASE, push for the lines to be all run underground! i will make so much $$ in overtime fixing them i'll have fran build me a vette!
Old 11-09-2011, 07:26 PM
10 Second Club

i almost forgot- trees cause basically all of the storm damage and power outages. cut the trees down = minimal power outages. the lines don't just fall down when the wind blows, but when a 100' tree falls on them something is going to break.

cheers
Old 11-10-2011, 06:33 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeperstyle
anybody in CT. you don't have power because your utility company/state or whoever didn't pay the contractors yet from hurricane irene. CT is notoriously bad at paying contractors so nobody goes up there. here in my "area" we had tons of contractors for both hurricane irene and the recent storm, i barely had to climb any poles.
That is correct, I got a few close friends who work down here said this before the storm was coming and sad to say that I was right.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:39 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aerials, undergrounds, F1's, F2's....I dont miss doing that stuff.....
Old 11-11-2011, 08:30 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by sleeperstyle
i work for the utility company in philly area. you can believe what i say or don't i don't give a **** but this is what i know..

the underground lines question- there are a LOT of lines underground, and they go out ALL OF THE TIME. storms don't affect them but they consistenly fail all year round. i get probably 40% of my overtime from underground faults and we get tons and tons of overtime. our underground fault locate department is so far behind i think they are up to 100+ underground faults behind- we run temporary cables to restore the power immediate.

underground power lines, like aerial lines, only last so long before they need to be replaced or fixed. the pad mount transformers and submersible transformers fail more than the aerial ones too. so PLEASE, push for the lines to be all run underground! i will make so much $$ in overtime fixing them i'll have fran build me a vette!
Im a Lineman Apprentice for the IBEW, everything Nick just said is 100% correct. I was up in Newark NJ area last week and it was bad, this little snow storm did more damage then anything else did,and no one thought it would be this bad. Thats the reason we didnt go up to CT when we left PSEG property.

-brandon
Old 11-11-2011, 02:58 PM
10 Second Club

Storm work is fun isnt it brandon? Its like a mystery when you are patrolling sometimes its a tree branch on the wires sometimes its mulltiple trees and broken poles- transformers on the ground- cars and houses destroyed etc... Lol. Never a dull day
Old 11-11-2011, 05:02 PM
10 Second Club

def not we were up in the newark area for a week...and the amount of ppl that would come out asking if we were there to get their power back on. We were only doing secondary work from the pole to the houses, but did put up 2 pole to pole secondaries. we werent allowed to do primary work i need to get on a distribution crew....but the pay was awesome!!

Quick Reply: Why don't they run powerlines under ground