Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

I'd like to talk about driving in the snow.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id just move to one of the carolinas if i was you it almost never snows there and they say it is the new place to be, easy living, cheap living, but i mean idk what to tell you about humidity here in maryland this year the whole summer just sucked especially having days topping 121 degree heat index(yea i almost died that day working outside in dc)

and if your looking at adverage snow fall id estimate at after north carolina add a foot of yearly snow fall virginia about a foot maryland about two foot etc etc but it all depends on the year of course last year i think we got a foot and a half for the whole year but the year before got like 4 ft lol so just giving you an idea of what to expect
Old 11-17-2011, 08:32 PM
Teching In

I drove a 98 formula with snow tires for two winters and had no problems. Who really goes out when there is 5" of snow on the ground?
Old 11-17-2011, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i did it in mine, i went and saw a long ******* movie (avatar) and came out and there was about 6 inches on the ground... i was asking for it since my car would slide in the rain with the tires on it but i decided to have fun in my first snow in the car and had to much fun for to long and hit a guard rail. scuff the bumper up but im very lucky it could of been so much worse
Old 11-17-2011, 11:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was actually looking into the Carolinas. Good thing is they are in my company's footprint so I could just transfer.

Thank for all the info guys I really appreciate it.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its totally different up where it snows and they use salt all the damn time, ive had salt build up so bad on my truck to where it was 1/2 thick... sport cars are parked in the winter and as mentioned above, get a winter beater. IMO, a 4 wheel drive is a must when the weather is shitty out with ice and snow. Even a 2 wheel drive truck, it takes a split sec for the *** end to come around on ya. But, you can fill the bed with snow to help but there goes your gas mileage.

Get a heated garage and its mod time..
Old 11-18-2011, 09:46 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WillrunifChased
I drove a 98 formula with snow tires for two winters and had no problems. Who really goes out when there is 5" of snow on the ground?
people that have to work for a living???....just because theres snow on the ground doesnt mean the world stops. my job doesnt close b/c of it therefore im obligated to be here....but i have a 4runner and an Audi Quattro which are both absolutely beasts in the snow.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TNTramair
people that have to work for a living???....just because theres snow on the ground doesnt mean the world stops. my job doesnt close b/c of it therefore im obligated to be here....but i have a 4runner and an Audi Quattro which are both absolutely beasts in the snow.
Exactly.

I have had jobs in the past that if you were to call out due to snow, the boss would come pick you up....
Old 11-18-2011, 12:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Exactly.

I have had jobs in the past that if you were to call out due to snow, the boss would come pick you up....
LOL right...i work for a dealer and our shuttle van is AWD...they used to come pick my *** up when i had the G8. that thing wouldnt go anywhere with a dusting of snow....damn summer tires...lol
Old 11-18-2011, 01:20 PM
Internet Mechanic

Always wanted a G8, just knew I would need a dedicated beater car just for the snow. Very annoying.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:35 PM
Banned

I am driving a 03 camary with 237000 miles for the winter.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by tt383lt1
sand bags
this, full tank of gas, and really aggressive all seasons and you'll be fine.

snow tires and it'll be a tank
Old 11-18-2011, 03:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TNTramair
Sorry I work for a living but my business is packaged ice and it doesn't sell very well when there is snow on the ground.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I drive in snow all winter, never more than 3 or 4 inches but with winter tires and weight in the trunk it's fine
Old 11-18-2011, 10:18 PM
12 Second Club

I got stuck on a mountain on 81 in pa lil ways before wilksbare and it was the most terrifying experience of my life. I was 18 with drag radials. Now the car never comes out. If there is even a chance of snow showers the car stays parked. I bought a gmc Sierra for cheap and I play in that
Old 11-21-2011, 06:43 AM
Internet Mechanic

Ever since I was 16 I had a bunch of FWD GM's and all faired well in the snow as they had either a v6 ('88 Buick Somerset T-type 3.0L, '00 LeSabre 3.8L, '87 Bonneville 3.8L, and '00 Century 3100) and all did suprisingly well with all seasons and putting the foot to the floor and letting the motor eat. The current car, my Century has Trac control if its in O/D or 3rd, if I click it to 2nd or 1st it does not. I wish I could just shut it off entirely for just when it snows.

One car I hated in the snow was a '00 Hyundai Accent, as it was terrible and I found myself leaving in 2nd all the time so it would not break loose and then I would be running the **** out of it to keep momentum up. IF I got suck on a hill, forget it, go back down and start again.... That car NEEDED snows and would have liked studs..
Old 11-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

I picked up a set of dedicated snow tires for my camaro and haven't run into any situations where I wasn't able to get around. You won't be plowing through a foot of snow, but you will be able to start, stop, and control the car much better than on all season tires. I can come to a dead stop on a hill and get moving again without issues.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

The best thing to do is get a beater. I drove an '89 V6 Fbody through more upstate NY winters than I care recall, and it was never pleasant. I never got stuck, but it takes some skill to get one through anything more than a couple inches and can be very frustrating (once took me about 30 minutes to get up Bear Mountain in rockland, which is about less than a mile of road up the incline). And depending where you move in the Northeast, more than 3-4" can be a regular occurrence. I daily an '03 Cadillac SLS, and have driven it with ease through several 12"+ "blizzards" around here as I run a facility and it's even more important to be at work the days it snows.

So you don't need some big 4x4, but some FWD beater with decent mass, if possible with traction control (or even stability control too!) will get you through about anything. And as mentioned you don't want to subject your fun car to all of that road salt.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:22 PM
11 Second Club

turtle

also everyone is a vagina... i drove my camaro on 325 mickeys d/r's in the snow most of last winter here in va. it isn't the best thing obviously but it can and has been done.. if i had a set of decent tires i would have been fine.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:11 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove my 1999 Camaro SS with just rear snow tires and a half tank of gas. It was safer then I ever exected. I was able to pass SUV's, 4x4's and everything else on the highway during the worst storm we've had in many years. Even changing lanes wasnt an issue. The plows wern't even out yet because it wasnt safe for them.

Snow tires, common sense throttle control and a full tank of gas (for weight) will make any car night and day better. When I had my two rear snow tires there literally wasnt a storm that could keep me home.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dkbmxer002
turtle

also everyone is a vagina... i drove my camaro on 325 mickeys d/r's in the snow most of last winter here in va. it isn't the best thing obviously but it can and has been done.. if i had a set of decent tires i would have been fine.
if you replaced va with vt you wouldn't be so cocky.

i barely made it home in 7" of fresh powder, 2am, with my cousin in the back seat, and BFG G-Force SS/AS(allseasons)...shitting my pants. thats the worst ive ever seen, i was impressed.

Quick Reply: I'd like to talk about driving in the snow.