Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

I'd like to talk about driving in the snow.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 11:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by disc0monkey
if you replaced va with vt you wouldn't be so cocky.

i barely made it home in 7" of fresh powder, 2am, with my cousin in the back seat, and BFG G-Force SS/AS(allseasons)...shitting my pants. thats the worst ive ever seen, i was impressed.
I'd still be cocky. Im an *******
Old 11-23-2011, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by traenknerperformance
i have a 2005 cts-v, its a nightmare to drive in the snow. It used to be my DD- i got stuck on a hill in an inch of snow once in it 3 years ago. I got a 94 4wd silverado to drive in the winter, once it snows the V goes to sleep for a couple months.....
I have an 05 V also and when I first bought it, the car was a boat in the snow couldn't go anywhere.

Last winter I bought Nokian Hakka 5s studded, and I can go places awd cars can't go with all season tires. I laugh at fwd cars as I go up hills lol. You do have to be very smooth with the gas and clutch though.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My opinion would be to buy a beater Jeep. Don't even drive an F-body in the snow if you can help it. You'll be happier in the long run. They are inexpensive and their 4WD systems are great. I've picked up 5 of my 6 Jeeps for less than $1500, all of which have lasted fine without issues. Look for a 4.0L motor, 91-06.

With several blizzards and record setting winters the past couple years, I speak from experience...
Old 11-26-2011, 07:00 PM
12 Second Club

4.0 jeep motor FTW .... Just by a water pump so u have one when it gos
Old 11-27-2011, 08:44 AM
11 Second Club

i will definitely agree, a beater/daily is the single best thing you can do for your car.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HibachiZ28
My opinion would be to buy a beater Jeep. Don't even drive an F-body in the snow if you can help it. You'll be happier in the long run. They are inexpensive and their 4WD systems are great. I've picked up 5 of my 6 Jeeps for less than $1500, all of which have lasted fine without issues. Look for a 4.0L motor, 91-06.

With several blizzards and record setting winters the past couple years, I speak from experience...
Bought a 93 GC back in the day with about 140k on it for $500, put another $400 into it to get it road worthy and drove it for 4.5 yrs ended up with almost 240k miles on it. all I did was change the oil and beat the **** outta it

Just put some nice meaty A/T's on the Envoy so I'm ready for winter
Old 11-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TNTramair
realistically you'd be better off buying a beater for the winter..for the same money you'd spend on new wheels and tires you can find a good beater. depending on where you move to the snow can get pretty nasty at times and i dont care what kind of tires you have on your F-body, anything more than 5" of the powdery stuff and its a handfull...especially since not all of the roads get plowed. not to mention, would ya wanna take the chance of driving in the snow and have some old lady in a 92 Oldsmobile lose control and wreck ya?? lol.
Listen to this guy. I have had many RWD cars in the midwest that I have driven year round. It really isn't a good idea, mind you the ones I drove (81 Formula, 84 Cutluss and more) were all beaters...hell the Formula was my 'Dukes car lol. If you really want to see what its like, hit youtube up. There are many vids of M6s failing to even get unparked. I say get a winter beater that way it won't break your heart if something does happen.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

some of you guys saying he'll be fine cracks me up! what happens when you reach a hill in a situation where you don't have any momentum? theres been a few times where I've barely made it up my road to my driveway w/ 4wd! of course cause I'm right on the ocean allot of times it rains before it turns to snow so we end up with a sheet of ice under the snow, GL w/ that w/o a 4wd beater unless you have studs on all 4corners!
Old 11-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Wouldn't say you be perfect with em but I've had success with Blizzaks in the snow before. Ideal is beater but sometimes, not available for that.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
some of you guys saying he'll be fine cracks me up! what happens when you reach a hill in a situation where you don't have any momentum? theres been a few times where I've barely made it up my road to my driveway w/ 4wd! of course cause I'm right on the ocean allot of times it rains before it turns to snow so we end up with a sheet of ice under the snow, GL w/ that w/o a 4wd beater unless you have studs on all 4corners!

and there are stock honda's that have issues in snow going up hill etc....
Old 11-28-2011, 03:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dkbmxer002
and there are stock honda's that have issues in snow going up hill etc....
or even in dry weather.

but seriously, obviously if you need a 4x4 to get through the mtns you shouldn't even be asking about snow with a f-body. if its snowing and you wanna go skiing, dont jump in a f-body but when comparing to an average 2wd sedan i think it is as capable as any..

stock springs, non-SLP or 1LE give great ground clearance, full gas, sand bag in the back, and tires.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whitew01ws6
4.0 jeep motor FTW .... Just by a water pump so u have one when it gos
Originally Posted by DannoWS6
Bought a 93 GC back in the day with about 140k on it for $500, put another $400 into it to get it road worthy and drove it for 4.5 yrs ended up with almost 240k miles on it. all I did was change the oil and beat the **** outta it

Just put some nice meaty A/T's on the Envoy so I'm ready for winter
Exactly! Also figure, if you get in a wreck with your car what's your deductible? $500, $1000, $1500? That's enough for a used beater Jeep right there! I blew up one 4.0L motor, but that's when the engine sending unit failed and I drove around (knowing this). Ultimately the t-stat failed closed and I overheated. Obviously completely my fault Found a used 4.0L with 88k miles on it at a local salvage yard for $400. Swapped it in and put tens of thousands more miles on it. My current '96 ZJ has 212k on it and runs great. I've replaced the water pump which cost me basically nothing

Get a Jeep or other beater, please. Would you rather be shitting your pants driving your TA or enjoying yourself driving a beater here (North Jersey, back in October of this year):

Make the right decision!
Old 11-29-2011, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

a car that is properly setup
(snow tires) will almost always outperform a poorly setup car with a better design(4wd all seasons). I've been using snow tires for the past 4 winterrs on a cobalt ss/sc, sentra se-r spec v, ls1 ss without a problem in any of them. I actually went out in a blizzard for fun with my sentra. I was passing stuck suvs on hills without a problem. I actually had to stop on a hill cause of the suv and go from a stop without getting stuck. All of the people that are saying buy a beater are missing one key thing...the beater is gonna be as bad as any other car on all seasons in snow...you may not care about it cause its a beater, doesnt mean your not gonna get stuck somewhere.

also, look at buying snow tires as an investment because your gonna buy tires half as much. Your putting more out to start, but they're lasting a lot longer.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I'll take an SUV with all season tires over a RWD car with snow tires any day. Especially an Fbody with no weight in the *** and little ground clearance. SUV owners being overconfident fools doesn't negate the benefits of 4 driven wheels vs. 2.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:03 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ideal set up for me...

4wd capabile vehicle, possibly selectable 2w vs 4w in cab. (when its not snowing)
Studded Snows based on what brands I had prev listed. (Great for Ice / No momentum on hill situations)
Not quite Pickup / SUV weight / high center of gravity but more like a Subaru but not too light.
Manual so you can be selectable on gearing.
No Traction Control (more control)
Wide vehicle base.
Ample low RPM power (idle to 2k)
Old 11-30-2011, 01:41 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by NHRATA01
I'll take an SUV with all season tires over a RWD car with snow tires any day. Especially an Fbody with no weight in the *** and little ground clearance. SUV owners being overconfident fools doesn't negate the benefits of 4 driven wheels vs. 2.
I'd always chose the vehicle with snow tires, hands down.

Even if you have 4WD to get you moving, it doesn't help you stop or turn.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteKnightZ28
I'd always chose the vehicle with snow tires, hands down.

Even if you have 4WD to get you moving, it doesn't help you stop or turn.
exactly the point i nwas making...you cant avoid the idoits if you cant brake or turn. I drove through a foot of unplowed snow in my cobalt ss/sc.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Damn i need a beater for the snow.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WillrunifChased
I drove a 98 formula with snow tires for two winters and had no problems. Who really goes out when there is 5" of snow on the ground?
Subaru owners
Old 12-02-2011, 10:10 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, Subaru Bill should be tooling around out there, or working, whichever lol.

Quick Reply: I'd like to talk about driving in the snow.