Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Torn between two decisions Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a C6 for a test drive, or better yet a C6Z06.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
Take a C6 for a test drive, or better yet a C6Z06.
Here comes the sad part, and don't laugh too much but I haven't ever had the opportunity to learn how to drive stick :/ and, im pretty sure any dealership would laugh at the idea of letting a 22yr old test drive a newer vette.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by improved1
Here comes the sad part, and don't laugh too much but I haven't ever had the opportunity to learn how to drive stick :/ and, im pretty sure any dealership would laugh at the idea of letting a 22yr old test drive a newer vette.
Friend with a manual. empty parking lot, 30 minutes, good memory (that you're driving a stick) and you're good to go.

Practice a little more and you should pull it off.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
Haha, the mature responsible answer, which is absolutely correct. I have to admit I totally agree at this point in my life as well. House/kids/etc priorities change for everybody.

Although I also have to admit I could not do without a performance oriented LSX something, even if its just sitting there collecting dust. You only live once. If you have no other debt and you are saving mony on the side its fine to blow some on the hobby.

As long as your not one of those guys who buys a 50k vette and lives in a rundown apartment and eats ramen every night, has a min wage job, and 100k in cc debt. I'd rather live in a nice place and sacrifice the car.

That aside, for me I got a soft spot for the f-body's and I would have a hard time getting rid of the TA. I (probably) wouldn't get rid of it for a G8, GTO, 5th gen, c5, etc... (even though arguably better) I would however for a C6 GS or a Z06, or even a newer CTS-V. Vette compared to a F-body (even a c5) is a whole different class of car. Since I have not been to the track in years buying a nice street cruiser would be tempting to replace the TA, not sure if I could do it though. If you don't have a huge emotional attachement or following for the TA then get the vette in the long run.

To the OP, look at your long term goal, not just for the car but where you want to be say in 5 yrs. If you are thinking about buying a house or getting married in the next few years, save your money. Get that nest egg going and the car will come later. But if you want to build it up or a buy a new car now then nobody's gonna stop you, my only advice is to not increase debt, pay all in cash when it comes to toys/extras.

There is one thing I have taken with me over the years when it comes to the whole (wasting) money on cars thing. People who are not in the hobby don't get it, but for me, had it of not been for me buying the TA my life would be totally different.

-I met most of my current friends because of owning this car, directly or indirectly.
-My friends have changed my life in a positive way.
-Buying the car at a younger age gave me drive to work hard and pay for it.
-I have gotten years of enjoyment from the car, driving, racing, shows, just hanging out.
-I have learned a lot mechanically due to being invloved with car guys and owning a *special* car.
-You could even meet your future spouse indirectly because of your car.
-You could land a great job because of friends you met though sharing an interest in the hobby.

You can't put a price tag on some things and you never know what the future holds. Do what makes you happy and be responsible for your decisions with money. If you are not sure, just bank the $ and decide later. The more $ you make the more bills you have, we do it to ourselves.

To answer the qustion. So if I was forced to spend the $ today, I'd probably dump it into the TA as I'm not ready to drop big $ on a newer car, nor do I want another payment right now, plus its practically a family member .
very well put ...and also depending on condition etc of either youre TA or this corvette that you want both cars will hold value and the value can go up on a TA with tasteful mods. my 02 ss has alot of mods it could be a daily driver although i wouldnt recommend, but with all the mods and the condition i had it appraised and its more valuable than alot of the vettes i see. also on another note youre car or any car on the road is only valued at what someone is worth paying for it. i bought the house first then i got my toys.