Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Torn between two decisions Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torn between two decisions Help!!

So, I received a substantial raise at work (yay!!).

I Currently have a 1998 T/A with 60k miles, some trans and exhaust work done.

I am going to be budgeting between 15 and 20 thousand dollars out of my salary this year for strictly car related things.

The decision I am stuck with is whether to pump 15-20k into my car and do a pretty hefty twin turbo setup, or sell my car and put the money into buying an 05-07 C6. I have always wanted a c6 vette since they came out, but ive also wanted a low tens street car as well.

If it was your decision what would you do? I can afford to budget that much money, so we dont need to discuss that . thanks for your input ahead of time.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:02 PM
Banned

unless your going to keep you T/A forever (which you may) getting a 05-07 C6 is the most long term wise decision.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up do it right.................playa...............

will if it was me, dawg, an u like ''corvetts'' i would sell the car, an take that money an put some to it an use it for a down pavement,oa a badd azzz 427,
zo6,vett, now your starting out with a 11 sec car, a couple of changes,an,
wham ohh, instant,10sssss... now u look badd azzzz, an you flying,with a
badd azzz, vetttttt...................................yea h man...
Attached Thumbnails Torn between two decisions Help!!-0319111944a.jpeg  
Old 11-28-2011, 08:41 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

$10,000 will buy an excellent twin turbo setup from Modular Turbo which will keep all your accessaries in place including A/C and stock radiator and fans. All that's left is an engine which will leave money left over from the $20,000 you're starting with. You'll have an easy 9 second ride that's a comfortable driver.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:26 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All depends on what you want... a vette is a better all around street car. If you want it alittle more for than track than an Fbody is better to start with. Either way if you need advice on something feel free to shoot me a PM or give me a call. I have been doing this a while on both platforms.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have seen multiple fully built fbodies, and i mean fully built sold for around 15k. If i were you i would look for a car already done with receipts from a reputable shop. You are throwing money down the drain modding a bone stock car.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

I think it would really depend on what your ultimate goal is.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:33 PM
Teching In

I would stick with the Trans am if you are going to be going to the track allot, i wouldn't get a C6 unless it's the z06,
Old 11-29-2011, 07:10 AM
Banned

You already know what i would do..keep that f-body man!!
Old 11-29-2011, 07:12 AM
Teching In

Dunno, C6 are awesome! Or just give it time and save then do both!
Old 11-29-2011, 08:05 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have exsisting debt, aside from a mortgage, you should be paying that off, or at least tossing a few extra hundo's a month to get you paid ahead.

Everyone is in a different position but if I won clean and clear 20-30k, I would not sink a single dime in the car just so I can get back to zero and then decide about the car.

Just throwing it out there and being different then the obligitory cam, stall, gear, bolt on, nitrous, suspension, turbo, blower blah blah blahs.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Depends; is this more of a daily driver / street cruiser, or just a weekend / track car?

For something you'll drive a lot, I'd go with the 'vette. It'll be more practical, and fun on curvy back roads. Also the corvette simply by nature of being a corvette will eventually go up in value as a collectible.

If it's going to be a track car or just a weekend cruiser, I'd say make T/A go fast
Old 11-29-2011, 11:18 AM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Double-aught_Z/28
I'd go with the 'vette. It'll be more practical,
^^^^^This statement really caught my attention.^^^^^
"Corvette" and "practical" are 2 words I've never seen used together.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

You put the money towards mods and you'll never see it again. A vette, while not a sound investment, will not depreciate as badly.

I also like the guy above that suggested buying someone else's legitly built car, you could then trade your current on a really nice DD.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Firehawk441
^^^^^This statement really caught my attention.^^^^^
"Corvette" and "practical" are 2 words I've never seen used together.
It was a lesser of two evils statement. A stock C6 is more practical to drive and maintain then a fully built twin-turbo F-body.
Neither is actually practical, just one is more so than the other.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
If you have exsisting debt, aside from a mortgage, you should be paying that off, or at least tossing a few extra hundo's a month to get you paid ahead.

Everyone is in a different position but if I won clean and clear 20-30k, I would not sink a single dime in the car just so I can get back to zero and then decide about the car.

Just throwing it out there and being different then the obligitory cam, stall, gear, bolt on, nitrous, suspension, turbo, blower blah blah blahs.

Haha, the mature responsible answer, which is absolutely correct. I have to admit I totally agree at this point in my life as well. House/kids/etc priorities change for everybody.

Although I also have to admit I could not do without a performance oriented LSX something, even if its just sitting there collecting dust. You only live once. If you have no other debt and you are saving mony on the side its fine to blow some on the hobby.

As long as your not one of those guys who buys a 50k vette and lives in a rundown apartment and eats ramen every night, has a min wage job, and 100k in cc debt. I'd rather live in a nice place and sacrifice the car.

That aside, for me I got a soft spot for the f-body's and I would have a hard time getting rid of the TA. I (probably) wouldn't get rid of it for a G8, GTO, 5th gen, c5, etc... (even though arguably better) I would however for a C6 GS or a Z06, or even a newer CTS-V. Vette compared to a F-body (even a c5) is a whole different class of car. Since I have not been to the track in years buying a nice street cruiser would be tempting to replace the TA, not sure if I could do it though. If you don't have a huge emotional attachement or following for the TA then get the vette in the long run.

To the OP, look at your long term goal, not just for the car but where you want to be say in 5 yrs. If you are thinking about buying a house or getting married in the next few years, save your money. Get that nest egg going and the car will come later. But if you want to build it up or a buy a new car now then nobody's gonna stop you, my only advice is to not increase debt, pay all in cash when it comes to toys/extras.

There is one thing I have taken with me over the years when it comes to the whole (wasting) money on cars thing. People who are not in the hobby don't get it, but for me, had it of not been for me buying the TA my life would be totally different.

-I met most of my current friends because of owning this car, directly or indirectly.
-My friends have changed my life in a positive way.
-Buying the car at a younger age gave me drive to work hard and pay for it.
-I have gotten years of enjoyment from the car, driving, racing, shows, just hanging out.
-I have learned a lot mechanically due to being invloved with car guys and owning a *special* car.
-You could even meet your future spouse indirectly because of your car.
-You could land a great job because of friends you met though sharing an interest in the hobby.

You can't put a price tag on some things and you never know what the future holds. Do what makes you happy and be responsible for your decisions with money. If you are not sure, just bank the $ and decide later. The more $ you make the more bills you have, we do it to ourselves.

To answer the qustion. So if I was forced to spend the $ today, I'd probably dump it into the TA as I'm not ready to drop big $ on a newer car, nor do I want another payment right now, plus its practically a family member .
Old 11-30-2011, 10:44 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
Haha, the mature responsible answer, which is absolutely correct. I have to admit I totally agree at this point in my life as well. House/kids/etc priorities change for everybody.
Lol, yea, sometimes I have those.

Thankfully I do have a wife who is very supportive of the hobbies but I put it on me to be more responsible with car decisions. Inheriting a insano HHR car payment was not one but working on that going away soon enough.

The economy has been brutal and when you take one step forward and 3 backwards, it gets tough.

Hopefully I can get some track time in next year, we will see.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:44 AM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by improved1
So, I received a substantial raise at work (yay!!).
Where do you work & are they hiring?
Old 12-01-2011, 08:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by itsslow98
I have seen multiple fully built fbodies, and i mean fully built sold for around 15k. If i were you i would look for a car already done with receipts from a reputable shop. You are throwing money down the drain modding a bone stock car.
there has always been the saying built not bought meaning you put your work (and cash ) into the build but I have always found bought not built like itsslow98 is saying can make better financial sense because the builder rarely gets a good return on investment.

look at the 2 ls1 f bodies in my sig and their mods , one cost me $3200 and the other $3800 with the mods listed and more (due to sig space lol) , my 00 Z probably has close to what I paid in stereo plus more mods than I listed.

I have gone the other route many times over the years and you never get half of what you spend back

you can find a car with 20k in mods for 12-15k total including the car if you pay close attention to the classifieds on here then just be prepared to spend more as issues arise which they will on a modded car but at least you start out ahead of the curve and not behind it...
Old 12-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

Wow some good information in here, definitely some food for thought. Out of all my options I have been seriously looking at picking up a decently modified car with reciepts, and add a few odds and ends that I like. who knows I may find a good price on some parts I want to put on my car. Whats going to make the descision for me is wether when my rear blows up if i go for a fab 9 or a stock replacement