Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

What is the best 1911 to carry?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 05:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best 1911 to carry is the one most of us can't afford and the brand you probably can't buy in this state.

I love the 1911 about as much as any other red blooded licensed fellow, but they make a poor choice for ccw. Your talking like 9" long and 40oz unloaded, never mind you are leaving a lot on the table with older tech, swinging link action, I don't think it uses a firing pin block, etc. All this aside.

I hope you have thought about your future responsibilities once you take the decision to carry a weapon. Not from the OP but in general, I'm hearing stuff like, "flashing" weapons, and strapping guns to your waist and ankles ready for battle. If you decide to carry the only time you should draw or show your weapon is if you intend to shoot it, and only shoot it if your life (or loved one's) is 100% in danger. Its a yell "stop" and shoot to kill option only, and its still your responsibility to avoid it at all costs, it truly needs to be your only option.

Ok I said my part. Just be smart, I know many a ccw licensed person who doesn't carry at all, there is a lot to come to terms with and be comfortable with that some at the end of the day don't want the responsibility. Especially in light of current events I've been hearing a lot about 1st time gun owners undertaking the responsibilities without fully understanding them. I know your a younger fellow, you may be well aware of all this, but it doesn't hurt to hear it again.

Ok back to CCW. I've had my license for a long time, majority of the time I don't carry for many different reasons, but I do when it makes sense. When and if I do I'm the only one that will ever know. To CCW the right way, the firearm needs to feel natural doing everyday things. If it changes your body language, prints on your clothing, feels like you are dragging it around, it fails. A good CCW gun is a compromise. Sure, I'm more comfortable and accurate with a full frame gun, but I avoid to carry them concealed.

I prefer something thinner an lighter and just about anybody you talk to that does carry will tell you the same. I suggest you talk to people who do, go to gun shops, talk to cops, etc. Tell them you want to carry a steel 1911, let me know what they say...

Get a compact or subcompact poly frame weapon, or small revolver. 3 newer weapons to compare the rest to, the Kahr pm9, M&P shield, Springfield XDs. You got calibers from 9mm to .45 here and I'd take any for a defensive round to start with.

.380's ehh, better than nothing but the few I have shot I'm not a fan.

I've shot the Ruger LC9, I agree the trigger sucks, but its a decent option as well for ccw. Something you need to train with if you go that route.
Any striker fired hammerless option I prefer DOA for a carry weapon, anything I mentioned above is fine and has a way better trigger than the LC9 in every respect. Believe it or not the Shield has a better DA pull than the full frames.

I love Sigs (steel frame), H&K's, Springfields, Smith revolvers and most recently anything M&P. Being from MA we have limited options for new guns. What can I say about Ruger, they are ok, but they make the best 22lr rifle you can buy for the $

Be safe, be comfortable with your choices, do what you need to do for the right reasons, and understand the law. You need to be in control of your firearm at all times (even if its not on you). If you bend over in the supermarket and somebody spots a handle in your belt, don't be surprised if you get a visit from the police before you get to your car, and maybe a disturbing the peace citation and release of your license. Or walk into a bank or post office and forget... Just throwing some food for thought your way, it might be a 2nd amendment right on paper, but at the end of the day its still a earned privilage and responsibility.

Oh BTW Les Baer, colt, springfield, are some of my fav out of the box 1911's. I've always wanted a colt combat commander.

Last edited by DannoWS6; 12-26-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
LOL, I was just looking at the LCP (and the Kel-Tec P3AT) again last night online, those are the true 'pocket carry' pistols and .380 can get the job done too. Though I personally still feel that 9mm should be the 'minimum' for a self defense round.
I do like the idea of pocket carrying as well but I think my Nano might just be a little 'too big' for the Levi's that I usually wear.
my buddy loves his lcp. yes it is a .380 but would you wanna get hit with it? ik i sure wouldnt lol. hes got an ankle holster for it when hes on his bike.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
im not quite sure. I believe it is mag capacity but i know they are illegal in mass. right now the plan is a Ruger SR1911 or if they come out with a compact or commander 4" barrell 1911 i'll get that. and also a Ruger SR22 to plink and a Ruger SR9c to carry. I heard in the winter time a 1911 isn't too bad to carry yes it is big and heavy but it is thin and with the right holster you can carry it inside the waiste. we will see. I plan to carry the SR22 on my ankle at all times as a backup.
Why would you carry a .22lr? Or was this a typo?
Old 12-26-2012, 08:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by mjs1012
my buddy loves his lcp. yes it is a .380 but would you wanna get hit with it? ik i sure wouldnt lol.
I use that very same line all of the time when people poke fun at .22LR pistols/rifles LOL.
Of course it's a more 'wimpy' caliber but a .380 (or even just a .22) to the brain is still far more deadly than a .40 or .45 to the shoulder.

Originally Posted by Double-aught_Z/28
Why would you carry a .22lr?
See above.
In all fairness though I agree, if you're going to go through the effort/commitment of carrying then don't go with only a .22 unless you have absolutely no other choice (be it due to funds/cost limitations, hand injury and/or size/concealment reasons etc).
I have even considered something like a Beretta Bobcat or Taurus PT-22 because they're small, hold 7+1 or even 8+1 and most importantly, a .22 has so little kick to it that it might actually be easier to put those 'follow up' rounds EXACTLY where you want them at close range while also stuck in the middle of a shocking, frightening and panicked situation.

Last edited by LS1LT1; 12-26-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:18 PM
11 Second Club

I agree with understanding the severity and respect of a weapon. I would start carrying until im 100% comfortable i would only pull it or show it if i intended to kill. Only and only if its my last resort
Old 12-26-2012, 08:41 PM
11 Second Club

I love the SR22 if i was ever in a "fire fight" having some sort of backup would be nice
Old 12-27-2012, 09:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you want a full size 1911 or a smaller variant, like a Commander or Officer? 1911's get really heavy unless you start going for aluminum frames and slides which cost $$$. STI makes their Spartan line that is built on Rock Island frames and slides and then STI finishes them with their triggers and internals. Base model SIG 1911s are also not too far off of your budget if you could squeeze another couple hundred.

How tall/big are you? I'm 5'3" and skinny and I can't carry my full size RIA 1911 comfortably without it printing or bothering me. I can conceal it in the winter, but the long 5" muzzle definitely affects your movement when you sit, drive your car, etc...

Also, don't get too wrapped up in a backup gun, especially a .22. While its better than nothing, you are better off with a LCP/LCR or something similar as a backup gun if you feel you need to carry one. I would not feel comfortable carrying a .22 and having to rely on it stopping someone. IMO, carry an extra magazine for your primary and make sure your primary isn't a POS and you'll be fine. I carry a Glock 26 95% of the time and when I can't carry that (summertime when I only wear a light t-shirt) I carry a Beretta Tomcat.

You could also look into the SIG P238 or P938 pistols. They are 1911 style pistols in .380 and 9mm as well as the Springfield EMP, but that's probably out of your price range.

edit: If you do get a fullsize 1911, invest in a good quality holster and more importantly, a stiff belt. They will help to distribute the weight and keep the holster & gun from rocking/shifting.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:31 AM
11 Second Club

i would love a commander or officer 1911 for under $1000 i am probably going to go with the supertuck for a holster. i have heard good things about it.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
i shot the LC9 last week and didn't like it at all. extremley long trigger pull which i hated and recoil was high becuse it was so small and light.
I have the LC9 and am in the process of doing some trigger work and changing recoil springs, i will let you know how it does after the mods, I like it for a carry gun for size and weight, i was not a fan of the long trigger pull so I am doing some upgrades to see how it comes out...
Old 12-27-2012, 11:23 AM
TECH Resident

I enjoy my Springfield, not a bad price, and hell of a gun!
Old 12-27-2012, 11:35 AM
11 Second Club

let me know chef. your right thats the only downfall of that weapon.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:52 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by thechef
I have the LC9 and am in the process of doing some trigger work and changing recoil springs
Nice. I was very close to getting an LC9 instead of my Nano. A lot of people don't like the manual safety on it (or even on the M&P Shield) but I actually think it can be a 'plus' on a carry pistol because it can give some added confidence/security when carrying it with a round chambered (Condition 1?)...as most will agree that having one chambered is the ONLY way to carry. Especially with a Glock or even my Nano that still kind of scares me, even with their very effective trigger safety.

I was considering looking into doing some trigger work for the Nano as it too has a bit of a long pull but again, with no other safeties of any kind on it that longer DAO pull might actually be a good thing when carrying one in the pipe.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:07 PM
Launching!

1911's are great guns, but IMO there are better options for CCW, I carry my m&p .40 with me everywhere and love it, very comfortable, it does print a bit but it depends what im wearing. Im likely going to pick up a SR9c for ccw in the summer months and run the smaller mag with the extension for less printing. And ive never had to use it, however id rather have it on my side and never use it, then not have it, and need it.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:53 AM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by mjs1012
I have big hands lol...my buddy has and lcp and it feels like a squirt gun in my hand lol
Im not talking about that, for a skinny guy I have a large hand an even the G19 feels small-ish.

What I mean is how big do you have to be (height, weight) to CCW a full size 1911 and not print. Unless you wear cloths that are 2 sizes too big.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:40 PM
Teching In

I have the SR1911. Also have a Springfield Loaded 1911. Neither of which have I ever carried with, and I'm 6'2" 185 (I could conceal it). Like most others I wouldn't recommend a 1911 for a carry gun, especially when the modern polymer guns are so cheap.

I have a TCP for the pocket/summer and an M&P9C IWB. Don't get caught up in all the online hype of "stopping power" or bullet size. Any centerfire cartridge will do its job.

And a backup gun? Fire fight? I'd calm down and really think through why you're carrying and if it's a smart idea.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:02 PM
11 Second Club

Yea i prolly wouldnt carry the sr22 lol
Old 12-29-2012, 09:32 PM
Teching In

I owned a gun shop/indoor range for two years... and saw a LOT of junk walk through the door.

As far as 1911's are concerned, it's pretty hard to **** one up. They've been around for 102 years and they are all built/mfg'd off the same blueprints. (for the most part)
They are sensitive to ammo and cheap mags. The GI spec guns can be a little more fussy with the high ejection port and extractor design... but with good mags and ammo, they usually run pretty good once they are worn-in. Once they get good and loose, they will run like a swiss watch.

I've seen $359 RIA guns shoot just as nice as $1k Kimbers. Close your eyes and you couldn't tell the difference between them.

The RIA guns were very popular in my shop... along with the Para Ordnance GI Expert. They are very good guns and very affordable too.

I won't even get into the "carry gun" debate... as everyone has an opinion as to what fits them best.

I can't count how many times a customer came into my shop and asked... "What's the best gun for concealed carry?"
I NEVER gave a direct answer... since it always varied, depending on the individual. I always suggested they handle several guns and see what fits them/their hand the best.
Sometimes the "sexiest" gun isn't always the "best" gun for you.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Funny I bought a Norinco 19911A1 the same time I bought a Norinco AK47 (Mak90) in 90's. Was a package type deal, ended up Best .45 I've fired (old school 80's military guy) BTW Also best AK I've owned and I own a Hungarian cadillac. .45 is Chinese made, drop it in dirt, kick it in mud, fired hundreds and hundreds of rounds. If it ever breaks (never has), replace with premium parts!
Old 12-29-2012, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Try the Kimber u can get it in the 3 inch barrel.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:13 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 351carlo
Don't get caught up in all the online hype of "stopping power" or bullet size. Any centerfire cartridge will do its job.

Quick Reply: What is the best 1911 to carry?