Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Winter driver for MD

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Winter driver for MD

I'm located in southern Carroll County. Weighing options on a vehicle that would be better for winters. I don't off road, but then again I've never had a vehicle that would be able to so I may get into it if I have the ability. Mostly it would be for snow/ice use during the winter (unless I get a AWD car which would serve year round DD purposes). Currently I have my 99 Formula and an 02 Taurus. I'm looking for something cheaper, $10k or less, for a 4x4 or AWD truck/suv. Obviously there are tons of options but I'm looking for owner experiences with different types of these vehicles to see what would be best. As far as cars go I was considering a subaru impreza or possibly a newer used Audi A4 Quattro because they get 30mpg even with AWD but that is obviously a lot more expensive than what I want to budget for and maintenance would be high.

Main considerations:
-Cost of maintanence/repairs (common problems)
-Mpg/size of fuel tank
-Ground clearance
-AWD vs 4WD

I know AWD is tailored to pavement whereas 4WD is more for off-road use and both will have higher maintenance than a FWD or RWD car, mostly looking for overall reliability, but throw some suggestions and reasons at me because right now I have way to many options going through my head, Trailblazers, Jeeps, Explorers, F150's, Silverado 1500, Durango, Subaru, Audi...
Old 12-27-2012, 10:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can never go wrong with an S10, Jimmy, Sonoma, or Blazer, especially with the 4.3L. I loved mine when I had it and they do great in the snow and off-road. The only downfall is the 4.3 is not the best MPG engine, but it makes up for that in peppy torque and power.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tmurph01
Can never go wrong with an S10, Jimmy, Sonoma, or Blazer, especially with the 4.3L. I loved mine when I had it and they do great in the snow and off-road. The only downfall is the 4.3 is not the best MPG engine, but it makes up for that in peppy torque and power.

Mpg is relative, mostly included that for the car options. For a truck/suv, I'd like to get 20 but really 15-18 is probably more realistic. I'm trying not to get too hung up on the engine, I know a V8 isn't necessarily the best for my case, I think maybe a V6 for an SUV or V8 equipped truck. I never really was a fan of small trucks.

Another consideration is mileage, obviously lower is better unless it wasn't taken care of well.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 284 Likes on 187 Posts

My daily driver is a 2002 Silverado 5.3 Z71, LT version, which is their best offering of 2002, and it's 4 wheel drive. Never been "muddin" or off roading since that is where you break **** that normally lasts forever. Plus, mine is lowered, but far from slammed. Never been close to being stuck in the snow and doesn't do to horrible on gas. 16 mixed driving in heavy footed winter blend gas months, and 18-19 during the warmer months. Have it tuned for 87 octane and with longtubes, and a few bolt ons like LS1 fans, 4" homemade air intake, modded stock airbox and ported throttle body, it'll easily hold it's own against any comparable truck out there. Has a 26 gallon tank and 373 gears from the factory. I love the fact of being able to tow or haul anything, anytime, while still having a daily driver that sounds and runs well. Figure it's engine is an LS based engine, so it's rock solid dependable, and have an almost cult following on performancetrucks.net with many doing cams, turbo's, etc.... In the last 5 years the only "problem" ever, was a bad alternator.

Wife's car is a 2003 Lincoln Aviator AWD "Premium edition". It has a 4.6 liter 4 cammed V8 with 5 speed auto trans. It gets about the same MPG's as my truck, due to the AWD I'd imagine. In 2003 it was a $48K vehicle, but now you can get one for less than 10K...same as most any 99-05 Silverado with 100K miles. Her SUV does great in the snow and has never had anything done to it aside from oil changes, brakes and tires over the years...
Old 12-27-2012, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got an S10 ZR2 I just picked up this year as a winter driver. You can certainly find a decent one in you price range and have money left over. Gas mileage isn't as good as a standard S10, just guessing it's 17-20. But it runs on regular, so it's still way cheaper than the good stuff in the Z28. I went with the ZR2 with the hopes that I can get into off-roading in the near future.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

I have a 97 LS Blazer 4x4 that I picked up from a co worker of mine 2 years ago. It gets decent gas mileage, (14-20) considering I have the infamous P0300 that I haven't figured out yet. I got it really cheap since he was going to junk it.

The 4.3 loves to work and will take a serious beating. Plus parts are plentiful and relatively cheap. Mine is a 4DR and the guy I bought it from has a crew cab S10 and I swear I have more room in the back of the blazer than his truck bed.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

+1 for an s10. I used to have a 4x4 5spd. Gas mileage wasn't all that bad and that little truck was an absolute tank in the snow. I had Firestone a/t tires on it and 50lbs in the back and it couldn't be stopped.

The 4.3 is a little monster too. I would always haul **** around and it'd be fine. There were a few times I had the entire bed filled with dirt and it moved fine. Killed my shocks and burned my clutch but its all good lol.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had an 04 grand cherokee with the I6, nothing would stop it. Looking back though I would have gotten the v8 because it has more power with about the same mpg. I would definitely get another.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:51 AM
TECH Regular

There is a guy on FB right now selling a '03 Z71 Tahoe, fully loaded, dvd, game console. Looks like it is great shape. Has alittle over 100k, but he is only asking $8500 for the thing. For a tow rig / winter driver, that thing would be great.

edit: Found the post

Larry Gerber
For Sale 2003 Tahoe Z71 fully loaded. 114000 miles with all the routine maintance. Everything works except the pass seat warmer ( needs new heating element ). There is one dent on rear bumper ( did not hit the body ) Has 10 inch tv/dvd/video game with 2 head phones. First $8500 cash gets it. Call or email with any questions 443 336 3331 or lgeber03@gmail.com
Old 12-28-2012, 06:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My son is getting ready to list his 99 Z71 Silverado. It has way over 100,000 on it but is in very good shape and been well maintained. I think he's in the $5-6000 range. I can get more info if you're interested. In Md also.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:35 PM
11 Second Club

you can buy my current DD. perfect for you
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/3500790222.html

Quick Reply: Winter driver for MD