Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Any reputable shops in northern VA???

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Any reputable shops in northern VA???

Hey everybody, I tired searching but just way too many results to search through.

Been having problems ever since I had my cam swap done in my '00 silverado by a local shop that supposidly been working on LS stuff since theyve been out. They first had a oil pressure problem when putting it back together (all was fine before). Then on the first drive I took there was wicked lifter noise. They found one to be bad, replaced just that bank of lifters. Still seem noisier than they should be. Now I have a P0332 code that keeps popping up that they claim cant be from a bad knock sensor. And now I get a horrible cold start rattle when its below like 45* (video included).

Can someone in the southern MD/northern VA area PLEASE recommend me to a GOOD REPUTABLE shop that knows their LS stuff. Im trying to get to where I can install my turbo stuff but I dont feel confident enough to do it knowing there is no one around to help me if I get stuck.

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-29-2013, 04:35 PM
Banned

I wouldn't run that anymore, sounds like something was left loose or worse, my shop is located in Leola, PA which is a little further then you might want to travel but please feel free to contact me if there's anyway I can help you.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:39 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Give us a call. We have a ton of customers from VA. We are an 50 mins or so north of Baltimore. We can get you take care of.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:58 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

http://marylandspeed.com/
Old 11-29-2013, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the suggestions so far! Trying to find something within a hour's drive of the Manassas/Gainesville area.

Also, if anyone has any ideas on what the noise might be, please chime in!

It seems to be coming from either inside the bell housing or somewhere around it. Knocked on each cat and neither of them rattled. Only happens on COLD starts where its below 50-45* and will gradually go away as everything warms about. Takes around 5 minutes total to go away. Only has happened 3 times in the past week or so. Never heard this before.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:24 AM
Banned

I wouldnt run the truck any longer...that is a TERRIBLE noise. Get it towed somewhere.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Teching In

John @ Broadview automotive in warrenton is a good place..work on a lot of ls based cars
Old 12-02-2013, 09:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another for Broadview!
Old 12-03-2013, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS14life14
John @ Broadview automotive in warrenton is a good place..work on a lot of ls based cars

We are the shop that did the work, and this is the first we heard of anything with the truck having a issue other than the knock sensor.

I called and spoke to him today about the truck, and the noise he thinks is coming from a loose cat in exhaust, which we have seen. The noise is in the bell housing area not the engine. And what is weird doesnt do it about 55 degree's. A noise that great in the engine would have some type of oil pressure issue which he is not.and been couple months ago since we worked on it.

But he is bringing in tonight to leave so we can check out. I understand his frustration, and if he choices not to bring it, I would be more than welcome to recommend a shop to check it out for Him, and give them any info and help they would need to assit him.

Last edited by khaotic; 12-03-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:08 AM
Staging Lane

Good Customer Service right there!
Old 12-03-2013, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

Broadview CLEARLY has nothing but a great reputation! That's the reason I went to them in the first place. Ill admit my first post wasn't fair to them and now after reading it a few times, was clearly a little more critical than I meant it to be. This is also why I never mentioned who had done the work, it was never meant to be a post to put anyone on the spot. This rattling noise was just the icing on the cake for a bad week I had and I was not in a good mood when I posted. My intention was only to see who else around would be a reliable source of advice.

Talked with John today like he mentioned. And after doing so, my truck is at the shop now. Talked a few more things over and Im confident that what ever noise this is will get figured out and my knock senor issue should be nothing more then new sensors and harness. After which everything should be back to normal, and then some!

Otherwise the truck does run well considering it has 176k miles on it. Made 300hp/310tq peaking at 5600 on their dyno with a touch more left in it. A couple hundred more rpm would maybe get me 5hp more. Part throttle cruising requires around 5-10% less input than before.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:03 PM
9 Second Club

Glad to see everything is working out!
Old 12-06-2013, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Well noise was the starter shield being loose bouncing off the flexplate.

Knock sensors got replaced. The rear one was definitely shot, it was rusty as hell.

They road around and double checked the tune. Truck is still pulling timing for some reason. Anything over like 50-60% or when it started getting a good load on the engine, timing drops down anywhere from 10-19*. But when im just cruising around, light load, light throttle timing stays at 20* or higher.

Im starting to think these Isky springs combined with the LS7 lifters are cauing some false knock possibly.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by black00chev

Im starting to think these Isky springs combined with the LS7 lifters are cauing some false knock possibly.

Highly doubt that to be honest.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

Well I have no idea then why its pulling timing still. Supposed to meet up sometime tomorrow to data log some more so hopefully we'll see whats going on.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Well its running better for sure! Still looks like it needs a few degrees more timing at WOT but Im gonna drive it for a few days and see how it feels. Might just leave it for now with the winter weather coming. Crank it up a little more once I can hit the track and see what the times are. Lookng for atleast a 9.5 if not a 9.3 or better would be awesome in 4WD.

Here is timing now.

And a little 3/4 throttle launch through 1st.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by black00chev
Well I have no idea then why its pulling timing still. Supposed to meet up sometime tomorrow to data log some more so hopefully we'll see whats going on.
And how did you data log it to show it pulling timing or has knock you assume it is without logging data logginr never showed it pulling timing or showing knock. I think your confusing or not understanding how the timing versus kpa and rpm work you think if it drops its pulling timing not the case. On laptop. And you say needs more timing but on dyno torque started falling off as more timing was added. And why do you think it needs more timing when its snagging churping 1 and 2 second gear ? Just wondering data logged afr at cruise was 14.9 kept little higher to try for gas mileage and video tape and also on decel in gear at a stop afr spot on at 14.6 to 14.8

Afr at wot is 12.5 not sure what else we can do for you and while doing the noise repair and dyno runs to verify the tune at no charge. Just let me know but not sure we can help in getting you happy at this point we strive to do our best. If you feel that the tune is not right i would highly recommend Give Fran a call At Rpm and see if he can get you what your looking for.

Last edited by khaotic; 12-09-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

smh....
Old 12-15-2013, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

That was said before the videos I posted and before the last time you all tweaked the tune.

Im definitely happy with how it runs from 2500 on, still feels just a little soft sometimes out of the hole. But its not something im concerned with right now as Im sure that's just the little bit of torque management still in the tune like you said.

The only thing I have to watch timing or anything with is the Aeroforce gauges in my truck. And for the most part shows 20 degrees or more. The lowest it shows is 15-16 degrees once the engine is under a good load or WOT. But no, I don't know how the relation between kPa, timing, and rpm work in the tune.

Quick Reply: Any reputable shops in northern VA???