Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Home remodel/renovation cost

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 11:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Home remodel/renovation cost

Anyone recently have a large scale home remodel and addition done in or around the Chester/Delaware county pa area?

We have a split level built in the late 50's and are tired of the small kitchen and one bathroom. Thinking about blowing up the roof over our unused 4th floor to make a master bedroom and would love to bump out the back of the house to do the kitchen. Trying to get an idea of cost.

Also, what did you find the best option to be with financing the project. Any help would be great!
Old 01-18-2014, 01:35 AM
12 Second Club

I added a second floor onto a cape it was about 45k I did all the interior work framing rock wiring painting in paid a contractor to built the shell and paid a company for the insulation
Old 01-21-2014, 12:11 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something like that is too hard to gauge over the internet. Also would depend on how nice you want stuff... Could range from 50-200k....
Old 02-24-2014, 03:44 AM
Teching In

Default Here is a before and after

this is the 200k + addition Same house
Attached Thumbnails Home remodel/renovation cost-house-002-small-.jpg   Home remodel/renovation cost-winter-09-087.jpg  
Old 02-24-2014, 08:08 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It also depends where you live..

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Old 02-27-2014, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

Wow impressive! I had a few builders out and 150k doesn't go very far!
Old 02-28-2014, 02:31 PM
CARTEK Racing

A typical figure in NJ is roughly $100/SF with plumbing. Then again, if you go with a floor finish that is $25/SF, that $100 will not stand lol.

I have not designed anything residential in a long time (2008?) so I am not too familiar with the costs these days, but the $100/SF should be a good starting point.

Unused fourth floor? How tall is this house?

I brought this up on a post a little while back so I hate to sound like a broken record, but you should have a zoning study done in order to see if and how much bigger you can go, and in which direction. All you need is an up to date survey, and you might even be able to figure it out yourself with an engineering or architectural scale.

I had an acquaintance come to me a few weeks ago with grandiose dreams of an addition to a home he recently purchased. "Money was not a problem" and he asked me to do the drawings "on the side" I asked him to get me a survey and I went online to see the zoning code... after an hour of work it was clear that he can build roughly 130sf before he needed a variance because his bulk and impervious coverage requirements were almost maxed out lol. He and his wife were already picking out floors and fixtures. They got way a head of themselves. There is no way he can demonstrate hardship to get a variance, and I am not putting my license on the line to argue with the town for him to get one, so he is stuck with the house he bought. Just a heads up, this does not happen often, but it has happened to me before in my professional career. Clients come in with ideas, an no room to build them.

Originally Posted by hotair
this is the 200k + addition Same house
That's a lot of house!
Old 02-28-2014, 05:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NJC-Redss00
Wow impressive! I had a few builders out and 150k doesn't go very far!
I do some work with these guys .. Top notch and great communication
http://premierconstructionsolutions.com/

Quick Reply: Home remodel/renovation cost