Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Picked up a new ride over the weekend

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 09:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HASTINGSRJ
Nice car! I was at the local dealer the other day I sat in a 14 Regal GS. Very nice! Now if I can convince my wife that we NEED one! lol
My wife enjoys it a lot. The later models have been "Americanized" a bit, Cushier/bigger seats, a couple interior pieces were updated, seems a bit sturdier (like the center console pieces), interior lighting was added (glowing trim), new infotainment/touchscreen (The original is not intuitive). Otherwise pretty much the same car.

With the 14's you get optional AWD (cannot get stick with awd), and the ATS's 2.0 turbo engine as standard,

I will admit though I do not get GM's intention with the GS, these cars are not performance oriented cars, they are sporty and dressed nice. The GS is not much different that the regular Regal, especially the 14's (same hp output). Same everything except, magnetic ride in the GS, and the visual cues along with the brembros and wheels. I think only the GS uses Hiperstrut as well.

Drive a loaded non-GS regal and then the GS, I think the difference is minuscule. Not enough to justify the extra $. Another reason for me is the non GS allows you to run a 17" rim in the winter, GS is limited to 19" I think.

But anyways yeah we like it, just put in some husky floor liners, I plan to detail it end of the month when I have some time. I'll be sure to post some fresh pictures
Old 05-02-2014, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
My wife enjoys it a lot. The later models have been "Americanized" a bit, Cushier/bigger seats, a couple interior pieces were updated, seems a bit sturdier (like the center console pieces), interior lighting was added (glowing trim), new infotainment/touchscreen (The original is not intuitive). Otherwise pretty much the same car.

With the 14's you get optional AWD (cannot get stick with awd), and the ATS's 2.0 turbo engine as standard,

I will admit though I do not get GM's intention with the GS, these cars are not performance oriented cars, they are sporty and dressed nice. The GS is not much different that the regular Regal, especially the 14's (same hp output). Same everything except, magnetic ride in the GS, and the visual cues along with the brembros and wheels. I think only the GS uses Hiperstrut as well.

Drive a loaded non-GS regal and then the GS, I think the difference is minuscule. Not enough to justify the extra $. Another reason for me is the non GS allows you to run a 17" rim in the winter, GS is limited to 19" I think.

But anyways yeah we like it, just put in some husky floor liners, I plan to detail it end of the month when I have some time. I'll be sure to post some fresh pictures
yeah I did notice on the GS in the show room that it had "summer" tires on it. But I was actually thinking that if I had to get rid of my truck that would be a great DD for me. But your right, I wouldn't want to pay for bigger tires. To me the GS in the show room looked fast just sitting still. It was pearl white with black interior. Not my first choice of colors, but it was really nice. If I can convince my wife that she needs a car I think we will look at it. She does want another small SUV though (POS Honda CRV, that I hate) My sister just bought an 11 Acadia, that my wife really likes. So we might be going that route. Besides, I think I will feel more comfortable with my wife driving my son around in something a bit bigger than a car.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HASTINGSRJ
yeah I did notice on the GS in the show room that it had "summer" tires on it. But I was actually thinking that if I had to get rid of my truck that would be a great DD for me. But your right, I wouldn't want to pay for bigger tires. To me the GS in the show room looked fast just sitting still. It was pearl white with black interior. Not my first choice of colors, but it was really nice. If I can convince my wife that she needs a car I think we will look at it. She does want another small SUV though (POS Honda CRV, that I hate) My sister just bought an 11 Acadia, that my wife really likes. So we might be going that route. Besides, I think I will feel more comfortable with my wife driving my son around in something a bit bigger than a car.
Yeah I love the lines on the car, it grows on you a lot. The new tail light design finishes the rear nicely. I wish they were as fast as they looked, GM needs a turbo v6 in this thing like the OPC and VXR had, just with the new 3.6. heck I'd even take the NA v6 with 300+.

I am sure if they bring back the GNX, it will probably be some derivative of that. Otherwise car is a joy to drive if your expectations are set to others in its class.

It's worth mentioning regarding safety...
-2011 got the IIHS top safety pick.
-DEkRA 2012, "However, the Insignia scored a fault index of 96.0, giving it the best result in the mid-size segment. Competitor models were beaten by a considerable margin"
-2009 European car of the year award.

Believe me I'm not saying this car blows everything away, it's not perfect. What I am saying is by the time it made it state side they had a really nice package to work with and they have been fine tuning it since. I think a lot of people still label it with the old man moniker, when in fact its quite the diamond in the rough.

Car shines in the used market, I think your money goes far if you find the right one.
EDIT*
The German used car report I guess agrees. lol
http://media.gm.com/media/intl/en/op..._insignia.html

Last edited by DannoWS6; 05-02-2014 at 01:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Picked up a new ride over the weekend