Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Northern Va Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 12:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Northern Va Emissions

Hey guys, I've got a '13 ZR1 I'm about to get back from having heads/cam/etc done. I'm located in Northern VA (Purcellville) Does anyone in the area know a mechanic/shop that would get my car through emissions without cats? O2s are turned off, light isn't on, etc.

Thanks
Old 04-11-2018, 07:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hypothetically, you can change where your car is "garaged" on your registration. The car will stay registered to you, at your address, but you can list the car "garaged" in any county you want. you then pay your personal property taxes for that car to that garaged county, but you also have to follow the emissions for that garaged county. If the new county you choose has no emissions requirements, you are in the clear. ive tried a couple different counties over years, fauquier county has been pretty user friendly.

the other issue you are going to run into though, is passing VA state safety inspection. by law they are supposed to sign off on you having your emissions equipment on the vehicle. whether it functions or not they dont care about, but it as to be on the car. some inspectors dont seem to care or notice, but some guys are out there to ruin your day. its been a crap shoot throughout NOVA the past couple years.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:11 AM
10 Second Club

Right, I'm currently looking for a location to use, as they (DMV) apparently require a full address now. It wouldn't let me just enter a county/zip online, so I called this morning and they'll enter an address once I have one.

I was able to get through the safety inspection last year, hopefully it'll go the same way next time.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:00 AM
TECH Regular

thats very interesting. i have two vehicles currently garaged out of my county. they havent asked me to provide an address for them yet. im on the dmv website now, and it wont let me edit the registration for garaged area at all. maybe after X amount of years they are finally catching on?
Old 04-11-2018, 09:03 AM
TECH Regular

maybe submit an address update for the vehicle? their form still leaves it as a county or town...
https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/isd01.pdf
Old 04-11-2018, 11:55 AM
10 Second Club

Yup, I think I got it figured out. Spoke with the DMV and both tax offices in Loudoun and Clarke Counties. They sounded like this is run of the mill to them. The standard "let us know when you switch" thing. The lady over in Clarke said people do this all the time.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^^Hey man could you please explain what exactly you did? Feel free to PM me if needed. I am moving to Aldie in Loudoun County in a few months from Maryland and my Camaro is cammed, LT's, no cats, drag radials, tint, etc., etc. I have been stressing out over the thought of possibly not being able to register it in VA. Thanks for any help
Old 04-16-2018, 06:54 AM
TECH Regular

not sure which one of us you were referring too, but tint wont stop you from passing safety inspection, but it will get you a nice ticket with the cop. you can go years without being stopped, or you can get pulled over 3 times in one month...
Old 04-16-2018, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 69lemansguy
not sure which one of us you were referring too, but tint wont stop you from passing safety inspection, but it will get you a nice ticket with the cop. you can go years without being stopped, or you can get pulled over 3 times in one month...
Thanks, that's good to know considering that my daily driver has 5% tint, I haven't been stopped out here in Maryland so hopefully the trend continues lol.

What do you recommend I do as far as annual inspections/emissions go? I can't see it passing with how I have it setup. Longtube headers, no cats, cam, drag radials, lowered, clear corners etc., etc. I see earlier you recommended registering the car out of county, is that easy to do?
Old 04-17-2018, 07:08 AM
TECH Regular

for safety inspection (yearly requirement in VA) the only thing they can get you on with what you have listed is no CATs. and emission equipment removal. VA is supposed to check that all emissions related equipment is on the vehicle and performing its intended function. Some inspectors dont care, some inspectors look for it on sports cars just cuz they know they can fail you. Really nothing you can do about it except go to some local car shows or cars and coffee and ask around to try and find a guy thats lenient to the non-safety items. Example: i had a guy fail my 90s jeep cherokee because valve cover vent tube was removed, and i was using an open air breather.... it was the only thing he could find on my jeep that was wrong, but thats what he failed me for...

as for emissions, you can again HYPOTHETICALLY do this... when you move and go to register your car in VA, there is a spot on the form that asks for your address. This is where you reside and where you bills come to etc. then there will be another small block that says "garage jurisdiction" this is where you list the county where your car is normally "garaged" or "stored". this is where you will end up paying your county taxes each year for that vehicle, it is also where your emissions requirements will stem from. You can click on the link i posted earlier as an example.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 69lemansguy
for safety inspection (yearly requirement in VA) the only thing they can get you on with what you have listed is no CATs. and emission equipment removal. VA is supposed to check that all emissions related equipment is on the vehicle and performing its intended function. Some inspectors dont care, some inspectors look for it on sports cars just cuz they know they can fail you. Really nothing you can do about it except go to some local car shows or cars and coffee and ask around to try and find a guy thats lenient to the non-safety items. Example: i had a guy fail my 90s jeep cherokee because valve cover vent tube was removed, and i was using an open air breather.... it was the only thing he could find on my jeep that was wrong, but thats what he failed me for...

as for emissions, you can again HYPOTHETICALLY do this... when you move and go to register your car in VA, there is a spot on the form that asks for your address. This is where you reside and where you bills come to etc. then there will be another small block that says "garage jurisdiction" this is where you list the county where your car is normally "garaged" or "stored". this is where you will end up paying your county taxes each year for that vehicle, it is also where your emissions requirements will stem from. You can click on the link i posted earlier as an example.
Sheesh failing an entire inspection for just a breather? But yeah thanks for the information though man, I think my best bet would be to register out of county. It will technically be “garaged” elsewhere anyways because the car will be going into a storage facility soon after I’m all moved in. Do you know of any of the more lenient counties to register in off the top of your head?

Thanks again
Old 04-19-2018, 06:57 AM
TECH Regular

The safety inspection is state mandated, so across the state its pretty even. you may find a tech who is more lenient somewhere, but its not county specific. as for the emissions, its all or nothing depending on the count.y the county either requires it or it doesnt. some google searching should be able to pull up the counties that require it, but off the top of my head its all the ones in NOVA. Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax, Prince William, Loudon, and maybe a couple more.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got you all beat. I am in NOVA and I have been failed because I had an extra O2 bung. I had cats and both stock O2s plugged in but he told me to take my racing exhaust off (it has CATS!!!). Best part is my car was passing all readiness tests without cheating. Still failed. He didn't care.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

make a friend, give em and extra $20 and call it a day. I never understood why people stress so much over emissions and inspection, it's cake.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
I got you all beat. I am in NOVA and I have been failed because I had an extra O2 bung. I had cats and both stock O2s plugged in but he told me to take my racing exhaust off (it has CATS!!!). Best part is my car was passing all readiness tests without cheating. Still failed. He didn't care.
that's crazy, I would definitely go to another place. It seems like some inspectors are just really picky while others aren't bad
Old 12-27-2018, 01:48 PM
12 Second Club

I had an inspector fail my 1984 Ramcharger because he felt the defroster didn't blow hard enough.

Had another inspector tell me my stock camaro ss(99) hood was to tall and he would not pass it.

Good luck if you have any type of aftermarket exhaust, I had long tunes and aftermarket cats on my camaro and I finally got tired of dealing with it every year so I got rid of the car.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have been in NOVA for over 2 months at this point. Still haven't been able to register my Camaro. Swapped my O/R Y for a catted Y to go through inspection and it failed, so right now my car is useless and sitting in storage with no tags. I have no clue what to do with it. This place is hell if you own a modified car, I am going back to Maryland as soon as I can!
Old 01-02-2019, 10:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I dunno how you guys have had so many issues passing inspections. My old car had heads,cam, and dumped true duals and i passed no problem. My current car also has heads and cam and i haven't had an issue.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^Where are you going for your inspections? Maybe its just the place I went to.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never had a problem with inspections. Find a car friend in the local area that knows a guy. You can get passed and theyll just say fix this this and this. Still pass you though. I'm in Virginia Beach area though.