TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passed PA OBDii emissions with BIG cam no problem

PA OBDii Dauphin County pass
242/250 .595/.595 109
no codes (some deleted)
No visual test here
grease on gas cap.

Im sure it wont pass the sniffer but who wants to live in Philly/Pittsburgh?
Old 11-17-2004, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Did you have the rear O2's deleted by any chance? I'm wondering if that my cause me to fail the NY OBD2 test. I've still got the AIR, and don't get the SES light, but I've got the rears and missfire detect deleted, and stores a code every so often for the front O2's (heater circuit or insufficient switching)
Old 11-17-2004, 09:03 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Its all in "how" you delete the codes. The OBDII scan needs to see that all of the emissions functions are being tested by the PCM. Its what the PCM reports to the OBDII that matters.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yep. Mikey did the tuning.
EGR, Rear O2s, AIR are all deleted....
May try Cecil this Saturday...tranny is repaired.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just passed my buddies 99 camaro...cam only..lg's g5X3, headers, no cats...went right through...work was done by us, tune was performed by eastside.

Last edited by TWINTURBORAMAIR; 11-20-2004 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-20-2004, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As long as your SES light isnt on at the time of the OBDII test your car should pass everytime. The computer just looks to make sure whether everything is functioning properly. If you have the stuff deleted the computer still thinks the emission equipent is still present and working
Old 11-20-2004, 04:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MonteSS
As long as your SES light isnt on at the time of the OBDII test your car should pass everytime.
That is not always true.
The wifes Sebring (OBDII is OBDII, regardless of vehicle) & her SES light wasn't on yet it failed our (MA) OBDII test.

Long story short, there was a bad seal at the fuel tank setting an evap leak code, but the SES never alerted us to this "fault".
Old 11-20-2004, 04:39 PM
Launching!

As long as your SES light isnt on at the time of the OBDII test your car should pass everytime. The computer just looks to make sure whether everything is functioning properly. If you have the stuff deleted the computer still thinks the emission equipent is still present and working
As was stated in the previous post thats not 100 percent true. The MIL needs to be off but the OBD readiness monitors need to run in order for the car to pass. If the monitors are not run you wont fail but the emmisions machine will deem the car "Not Ready for Testing" and the monitors will have to complete themselves via the manufacturer's drive cycles. Different states have different guidelines as to how many and which monitors need to be completed for a vehicle to pass.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well i guess some people have bad luck. Ive known of a few people with deleted rear o2's and emssions equip pass the MA OBDII test no prob.

ButchN what was their fix for the problem in the sebring im kinda curious?

The emeissions testing system in MA still has a long way to go. There are still alot of flaws and its pretty easy to get around. There are 2 companies that make the machines SPX and ESP (and no not eastside lol) and from what ive been told is that both machines have had ALOT of software problems. One time they were a day away from suspending all emissions testing due to the problems but unfortunately the new software update was released in time. At a few points they were allowing shops to wave the emissions testing and only do safety tests. This doesnt usually happen that often but its happened before its just good to know when it does you can run to your local shop and get a sticker.

Last edited by MonteSS; 11-20-2004 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SAM98WS6
PA OBDii Dauphin County pass
242/250 .595/.595 109
no codes (some deleted)
No visual test here
grease on gas cap.

Im sure it wont pass the sniffer but who wants to live in Philly/Pittsburgh?
I like to live in pittsburgh, thanks for asking...
Old 11-21-2004, 04:55 PM
12 Second Club

ButchN what was their fix for the problem in the sebring im kinda curious?
The rest" of the long story short is every time we filled up her car gas would spew on the ground.
I kept telling the 'el cheapo wife (who was pissed I bought the TA & did not speak to me for 3 days because I bought it & I now had a car payment I didn't have before) to use a crowbar & pry a few $$ away from her healthy & precious bank account to spring for a repair, or blow up one day during a fill up, her choice.

She actually said "nothing's happened yet"!

After a thorough inspection & saw no cracks or damage, I figured the plastic gas tank cracked in a place I could not see & I was close.

The wife, saddened by removing $$ from her bank account, gave me the coin to buy a tank, which I got used, complete with fuel pump from a wrecked 98 Sebring vert for $78 with tax & I did the R & R.

The leak ended up being at the seal where the pump mounts to the tank & was not repairable.

I used my MT2500 to clear the codes & reset the computer for the re-inspection the day after I changed the tank, & it passed.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

grease on the gas cap seal fixes the gas cap pressure test...
Old 11-22-2004, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

all of my readiness monitors were OK...thanks to good tuning.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah im a mass state inspector. There are a lots of way that this system can be cheated. But nto whtout settin off a ton of red flags at the registry computers. The ESP machines are as far as i know are now, forbidden from doing emmissions tests at all, and the stations with the spx machines are having to do them.
Both of them have dumb software problems. OUr SPX machine will randomly shut off or lock up during an inspection, its a POS, but then again so is the whole testing program. I cant even check the gas caps on half the cars i do because i dont have an adapter for them. And the best is that if for some reason the DLC dont work, it automatically fails the car. SO if your fuse blows and you dont know it, and you brign the car in it wont comunicate and you get failed on the spot.

This whole program needs to get reevaulated.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SAM98WS6
grease on the gas cap seal fixes the gas cap pressure test...
Yep, too bad my problem wasn't cap realated.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think the PA system is fine just the way it is..if we have to have something
Funny thing is making us pay for the test so the state can get the federal highway dollars...why the hell dont we just pay for the road improvements and forget the emissions testing...so stupid.

Quick Reply: Passed PA OBDii emissions with BIG cam no problem