Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Anybody know anything about sleds?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 05:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anybody know anything about sleds?

A buddy of mine has a ski-doo MXZ X 440 sno-cross for sale.This is the limited edition one that they only sell to racers and runs on race gas. I can pick it up for $2,300 . It's a 2001 with 81 hours on it, about 10-18 of thoses hours were breakin hours. He broke it in the right way, if it was me I would have been all over it from the first pull. It seems like a good price , I can't find anything close to it's price on e-bay
Old 01-08-2005, 02:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sled mfg's. have made many engine and chassis improvements since the '01 model year....That particular model battled w/Arctic Cat's Blair Morgan model 440 all that season. Do you want to have to use $5.00 per gal. race gas everytime you ride? My opinion only. Best wishes. The price does seem right, though.... WJ
Old 01-08-2005, 06:58 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WJ SOM SS
The sled mfg's. have made many engine and chassis improvements since the '01 model year....That particular model battled w/Arctic Cat's Blair Morgan model 440 all that season. Do you want to have to use $5.00 per gal. race gas everytime you ride? My opinion only. Best wishes. The price does seem right, though.... WJ
I got him down to $2,000. and I ordered the lower compression domes so I can run pump gas.. if it's alot slower I can switch back.

Last edited by 02SOMWS6; 01-09-2005 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah... would be better off with a $3000-3500 used 03 F5 (if you can find, they are out there) IMO.. faster higher tech etc.. But I am a Cat dealer
Old 01-09-2005, 06:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dand35th
yeah... would be better off with a $3000-3500 used 03 F5 (if you can find, they are out there) IMO.. faster higher tech etc.. But I am a Cat dealer
I'm 3min. from a super cross MX track so the 440 will do me just fine, not looking for top speed , I don't think a F5 would touch this thing on the track with all the jumps and turns.I'm sure the F5 would be faster top speed but I just want to jump the **** out of this thing and the sled was built for that one thing. I don't do long distance riding, strickly MX the price was right so I jumped. Can't spend too much on a sled....that pulls money from my LS1. I rode the **** out of this thing today......that studdedtrack rips stuff up.I was pullying the ski's up hammering out of the turns on the track, makes it hard to steer when the ski's ain't touching the ground

Last edited by 02SOMWS6; 01-09-2005 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Glad you're having fun with it...Bombardier has a history of building great race sleds....WJ
Old 01-10-2005, 06:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've had a few Ski-Doo's in my time. The 2001 is sort of out dated. But for as rare as they are, that is a good price. The MXZx 440's are usually the most technologically advanced for their years. Changing the domes is very easy too. I have a brand new 440 motor in my garage if you ever need it

Last year I bought an MXZx 600HO Formula XPS-II. The new REV chassis is unbelievable comfortable to ride and jumps like a dream.

Biggest draw back is mixing your fuel. While the rest of your buddies pull up to the pump to gas up, you'll need to mix your own gas. There is no oil injection tank on the 440's. They are designed to run 4 laps at that track and that's it. They top out around 85MPH too. You can change the gearing, etc to achieve a higher MPH. If you have buddies with big CC sleds, you won't keep up on the lakes, but you'll be the first one to 80MPH! Also, if it starts to sputter at WOT - BACK OUT OF IT. 440's have a tendancy to cold seize...

On the other hand - your suspension is FAR above that of any sled of it's year. Remote resovior shocks are rebuildable, bla, bla, bla... You could easily take the sled apart and sell it on eBay in pieces for over $4,000 - that is what I did with mine
Old 01-10-2005, 06:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

One more note. I ran a Sno-X race last year with my REV - the ZX-Chassis sleds don't seem to fare to well - especially against the Arctic Cats...
Old 01-10-2005, 08:18 AM
TECH Junkie

The Firecats are boss...WJ Although, Lanny Benoit, out of Montpielier, Vt. has the world speed record for 500 ft. grassdrags...and it's a naturally-aspirated Ski-Doo. Like 128 mph and change....A real rocket. Saw it run at the Grassdrag Championships at Epping, NH last fall.....

Last edited by WJ SOM SS; 01-10-2005 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WJ SOM SS
The Firecats are boss...WJ Although, Lanny Benoit, out of Montpielier, Vt. has the world speed record for 600 ft. grassdrags...and it's a naturally-aspirated Ski-Doo. Like 128 mph and change....A real rocket. Saw it run at the Grassdrag Championships at Epping, NH last fall.....

128 mph thats not a stock Sled

Grass drags are 500ft

The world record on grass is 4.0's at 136mph on a Twin Turbo Open Mod yamaha out of MI. John
Old 01-10-2005, 01:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ojustracing
128 mph thats not a stock Sled

Grass drags are 500ft

The world record on grass is 4.0's at 136mph on a Twin Turbo Open Mod yamaha out of MI. John
John... I said "naturally aspirated". Do you know what that means, dude? Sorry John, I hit 6 instead of 5...(500'). And I'm pretty sure no one thought Benoit's Ski-Doo was stock....but it doesn't have a couple of Turbo's bolted on the motor, either.....

Last edited by WJ SOM SS; 01-10-2005 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:43 PM
10 Second Club

It's just a cheap toy for me to play with. I have a MX track 3 min. from my house , no long straightaways there. Can't afford a new REV. That sled was my last toy........I gotta start saving now for when the LS7 is released. If scoggy dickins is selling a 402 shortblock for 3,500. then a LS7 short block should be around 4,500. Or maybe I'll just buy the block and stroke the 427. The LS7 block will not carry the same price tag as the C5R block. It should be around 1,200-1,500 at most.I haven't lost focus yet. My SOMWS6 is the best toy in my toy box and it gets all the good stuff.The sled is only for the times when there's too much snow that my 402 banshee won't move.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by '02 SLP#686
One more note. I ran a Sno-X race last year with my REV - the ZX-Chassis sleds don't seem to fare to well - especially against the Arctic Cats...
The track I ride at is only for dirtbikes and 4wheelers. They don't race sno-cross there. Just the locals on the track playing around for the winter.I'm just riding for fun not points.Good to now that you have an extra engine. You never know what could happen.Any idea what you would want for it?
Old 01-11-2005, 07:01 AM
TECH Regular

WJ Sorry for the misunderstanding. Lanny does build some good stuff. I've run across his stuff a time or 2 when I was running grass. ISR records are class based, not Induction based. Both sled that we are refering to run the same class. I think using the Fastest Naturally Aspriated sled is just a Marketing thing. But with that said 120mph Plus in 500 ft is fast no matter what its on. Later John
Old 01-11-2005, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lanny does build good stuff. Bickford's used to be the "stock" class champion forever, but seems to have taken some time off. I've been a grass dragger for many years now. We used to run the "stock" class, but we now built a Super Stock 700. It is a fairly small class and with our new Crank Shop motor - we should see some good results

I've only seen a top speed of 114 at our local track - Culley's Ranch in Lancaster, MA - and that was CRUIZIN!
Old 01-11-2005, 03:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Lanny does build good stuff. Bickford's used to be the "stock" class champion forever, but seems to have taken some time off. I've been a grass dragger for many years now. We used to run the "stock" class, but we now built a Super Stock 700. It is a fairly small class and with our new Crank Shop motor - we should see some good results

I've only seen a top speed of 114 at our local track - Culley's Ranch in Lancaster, MA - and that was CRUIZIN!
You must know my kid brother then, Gary Lederer. He runs F7 Firecats out of Livingston's Arctic Cat dealership in NH. We've been oval ice and grass racing sleds since the 70's. We started out w/Rupp, then went to Merc Sno-Twisters, then Arctic Cat Z's, then Arctic Cat Sno-Pro's, now Firecat F7's. We've been running against Bill Bickford, Lanny Benoit, Clay Raferty, John Hooper, Keith Young and others for a long time.... Too bad there's no more oval ice racing---Now THAT was fun.....WJ
Old 01-11-2005, 03:46 PM
TECH Regular

Bill Bickford now that brings back memories. I ran around the time Ingrid Nelson was cleaning house with her Ski-doo's. I used to run a stocker too . Remember B-stock? PS 585?

Over the yrs the sled MPH have gotten Huge. Like you say anything over 115 on the grass is crazy.. This new breed of sled power plants is just flat out rocks. The Open Mod sled im refering to weigh's in at 660 lbs and has Electric start. In testing 3.9's at 136+ in 500ft . I didnt bielve it until I saw the Video of it. Later John
Old 01-11-2005, 03:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes, Bill Bickford's nephew does all his driving. I saw Bill get injured pretty badly after hitting the fence on the oval at the '87 World Series in Skowhegan, Maine. He was driving a Ski-Doo Factory-sponsored twin tracker. Bad leg injury.....Bill gets all the best stuff from the Bombardier Race shop in Valcourt, Que., along with Lanny, and a grass racer named Sylvain LaFlamme out of Que. WJ
Old 01-11-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Chris Anderson is Billy's driver and takes most every class he enters a sled in. I tried my hand a Sno-X last year and bailed real fast, but I saw Anderson driving in the semi-pro class there as well. As far as Livingstons, the 700's they were running in the "stock" class were killing us on our 700, so we went up to the SST/700 class instead. We had a couple of arguements over the "stock" guidlines with Livingstons a few times - even in practices. There are a lot of gray areas in that class to say the least. "stock" seems to mean, whatevery you can get away with on a stock bore and stroke machine

I do have to say that 90% of the time, when we see a new track record - it is usually a HOOPER motor. Those open mod 1000's fly! A friend of ours, Tracy Morrow (or Morrell) is one of, if not the fastest girl on the grass!!! She runs a Hooper powered thunder cat - or at least as of last year.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes, I've seen Tracy run. She weighs nothing and flies. And yes, there has been controversy in that 700 stock class. That's why my brother built a 700 improved stock F7 for this past season. He only finished 3rd in final points. Last season ('03) he won the 700 stock class, I believe. Livingston's and Arctic Cat have been real good to him. Bill told me at Epping that his nephew, Chris, was going to have to find a new sponsor for next year cause he (Bickford) was all done grassracing after this season...I remember back when I was doing ice oval tech work and John Hooper was still driving race sleds...He's a GREAT engine builder. People are using his motors throughout the US and Canada. Lanny Benoit's driver, Clay Raferty, pretty much dominated that 1000 cc Open class wherever he went with that Rotax this past season...I have a son-in-law, Mike Hare, out of Spencer, Ma. who had some good success in the amateur classes w/his '03 Blair Morgan 800 Ski-Doo Rev. Next yr. he's moving up w/new equipment to Pro classes......Getting carried away, here..... WJ

Quick Reply: Anybody know anything about sleds?