Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Any experience w/ CT emissions??

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Any experience w/ CT emissions??

I'm getting a little nervous about emissions come time to re-register my Camaro. Does anyone have any experience w/ thier cars going through and passing? Right now i'm thinking about how to finish my exhaust....wheather i do an ORY or not, and then just strap cat shells to the pipe. Anyone know if there are specific places to go that are more lenient w/ us performance car drivers? Thanks for any info.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No idea, but let us know how you make out. I have not gotten my notice about it yet. I heard it is only done by OBDII, so if you are not throwing any codes you should be fine.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats what i heard too....i havnt gotten my notice either, right now the reg. is suspended for the winter but if i go before you i'll re-post w/ the facts. Right now i have open headers b/c QTP y-pipes are junk, both cats hollowed themselves out and i'm short 2 O2 sensors due to my headers...also removed AIR and EGR...lol so i'm kinda nervous. Right now i have a service eng. light but i need to get the car tuned and edited before i go to emissions and by then i'll have a new y-pipe.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:38 PM
11 Second Club

its ur call if u dont want to run cats, but they do a mirror inspection from what i was told, well that and OBD II also. there are no lenient stations, and the ones that are arent anymore. while the vehicle is being tested there are 2 cameras on the inspector at all times. also if someone is caught doing anything illegal there is an expensive fine. its like 3 grand for the actual inspector and like 10 grand for the garage. if i were u i would just run cats, but u could just gut them and play with the computer so that it isnt throwing any codes.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:42 PM
11 Second Club

also the inspectors have to do a retinal scan before testing each vehicle to verify it is them
Old 01-16-2005, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm hoping they find another flaw in the system so it will be shut down again.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL that would be the best thing that could happen all year.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:09 AM
TECH Resident

You will be fine. I doubt the cameras even work and even if they do did they hire a vegas security team or something? Think about it, there is what over 75 stations and they are watching each one every second? They are probably just there so they can tell if you are ghosting a car. If the car being tested is supposed to be a Mustang and they are testing a Honda sort of thing. The retinal scan stuff is BS also. Its all an intimidation factor and a waste or you tax money. They wont know if the cats are gutted and the inspectors that I have seen just dont give a crap, its a burden to there everyday job. Here is how it will go down for OBD-II cars:

1.drive in
2. Pay $20
3. They check for cats
4. They plug in the OBD-II scanner
5. No codes and all systems ready. Next car please.

Go here for your test date if you want to know it:
http://www.ctemissions.com/testdate.html

I have to bring my Honda next week. Its not an OBD-II test but I will see what its all about. I already brougt my work van through it was not OBD-II either (DAMMIT) but it didnt fit on the rollers so they just did the idle test passed it and sent me on my way.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:11 PM
Launching!

I went two weeks ago. They did not even check for the cats.

Make sure that your battery has not run down. Mine did, and I had recently charged it. They told me that I did not run the car enough for it to self diagnose, and had to put it on the rollers. It barely passed. I drove it 120 miles, but I guess it was not enough.

The owner was telling me about a nice scam that the other owners are doing. Mostly the new car dealers. They turn you away if you don't have OBDII. They get $20 regardless. They make money on the OBDII cars, and loose money on the pre '96 cars. So they say the rollers are broken, but hey, why don't you go down the street. Their stuff is working fine. Its beautiful. They get to cherry pick cars and screw the other owners at the same time. When I was getting the Camaro done, three people were sent over from Harte Chevrolet. The owner of my place called the state to see if their equipment was really broken. Of course, it was not. He said if he knew now what he knew then he would never have signed up for it. I bet you'll see it go back to state control because of that kind of crap. Or better yet, there will be different prices for rollers and non-rollers.

And yes, he said the camera would not be one all the time, but the state could look in at anytime to make sure it was the right car.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

Thats weird becuase the state told me hat if i wanted to get the roller test I couldnt because OBD-II cars are only supposed to be tested using the OBD-II. If they said they were going to put my car on the rollers I wont let them.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mark where did you go for your test
you can PM me the place if you dont want to post it
Old 01-18-2005, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I second that, let me know where you went, chef i'll seeya in the spring for the tune/edit!
Old 01-19-2005, 08:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 9T9BlueTA
Thats weird becuase the state told me hat if i wanted to get the roller test I couldnt because OBD-II cars are only supposed to be tested using the OBD-II. If they said they were going to put my car on the rollers I wont let them.
I was not worried about the rollers. My car has all the emissions stuff, and a stock cam. As it turns out, I should have been worried. I can't remember the exact numbers, but I took up 90% of the spec.

The place is kind of loose. I don't want to post it, so you guys got PM's.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Humvee z28
also the inspectors have to do a retinal scan before testing each vehicle to verify it is them
WOW! That sounds like a lot to go through just for emissions testing. The freakin airports don't even have that tight of security. I'm glad to govt has their priorities in line.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:45 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

mark, could you please P.M. me where you went also? And the part about not having driven the car enough, can you tell if the car has been driven enough with any of the other scan tools? My car is due in september, and I iad planned on stopping down @ Eastside a few weeks before to make sure that there are no codes or anything stored in my computer, just to be safe. Lemme know, Thanks.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:16 PM
Launching!

I don't know how to tell if the car has been driven enough. Maybe Eastside does.

I ran no cats for a while, and it took about 200 miles for the light to come on.

Sent you the name. Did I ever say that I grew up in Ellington? Close to the Somers 4 town fair grounds.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:31 PM
Race your car!

Mark, what year did you graduate from Ellington? Any brothers/sisters? I wonder if I know you? ( I graduated in 1995 ) I live over near the ellington ridge country club.. if you are familiar with that end of town, by the 5 corner intersection.

Thanks for the info man.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
mark, could you please P.M. me where you went also? And the part about not having driven the car enough, can you tell if the car has been driven enough with any of the other scan tools? My car is due in september, and I iad planned on stopping down @ Eastside a few weeks before to make sure that there are no codes or anything stored in my computer, just to be safe. Lemme know, Thanks.
EFI Live tells you the readyness status.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Mark, what year did you graduate from Ellington? Any brothers/sisters? I wonder if I know you? ( I graduated in 1995 ) I live over near the ellington ridge country club.. if you are familiar with that end of town, by the 5 corner intersection.
Absolutely I know that end of town. I doubt that you know me. I lived in Ellington from 1971 to 1991. Graduated in 1983.

Its not exactly a big town. Living where I do, you just never see anyone from Ellington.

You'll like Eastside, nice place. They are on the east side of Wallingford. I'm on the west side. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:27 AM
Race your car!

No, sorry, I don't know ya.

I've been to Eastside for work on my car twice now, Ken and his crew are great people. I won't let anyone else ( other than myself.. and that's on a limited basis ) touch my car now. The first place I brought it for work.. was a mistake to say the least. But Ken got it straitened out. Actually gotta call Ken pretty quick about a 12 bolt and a few other suspension tweaks to get my car ready for a few track passes.... and make sure it will be ready for power that is on it's way next.

i see you have a TT setup on your Z... who's setup, who installed it, any problems? I'm considering a single setup to be my first big power jump, but I wanna make sure that whatever I put on will work down the road when teh motor gets done.... unless that happens first.