Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

lean?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question lean?

Well, not getting any responses yet again, this time in internal section..

c'mon easteners. don't think i'm the only lean one

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/332066-lean.html
Old 06-05-2005, 09:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by firechicken2k
Well, not getting any responses yet again, this time in internal section..

c'mon easteners. don't think i'm the only lean one

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332066
Why risk hurting the car?just get it tuned

And yes 14-1 is not good,you are probly running in limp mode while stressing the Knock sensors.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

whats been done to it to lean it so much?
Old 06-05-2005, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Why risk hurting the car?just get it tuned

And yes 14-1 is not good,you are probly running in limp mode while stressing the Knock sensors.
it doesnt feel like its in limp mode, it runs very well.. heh

theres no question about it, that ill get it tuned within a month
but at this particular moment, i'm broke.. know of anyone who can dynotune me for free (or wait for payment for a month) ?
Old 06-05-2005, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dand35th
whats been done to it to lean it so much?
Mods are in sig
Old 06-07-2005, 09:40 AM
Banned

Val: Why didnt you just come to me and ask? We can work out a payment plan, lets get you safe I dont want you to hurt the beast then I'll have to fix it!
Old 06-07-2005, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TTPMatt
Val: Why didnt you just come to me and ask? We can work out a payment plan, lets get you safe I dont want you to hurt the beast then I'll have to fix it!

Matt, you got a PM!
Old 06-07-2005, 10:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

at TTP's dyno day yesterday I found out my AFR is 14.1.. Matt said it's too dangerous to dyno like that.

I guess I need full dyno tuning, to add fuel and richen it up.

So.. how dangerous is it to be lean like this? I take it I should not beat on the car, in this condition.. ?
Actually, if your N/A it wont hurt your engine at all. Power ouput will be down. How do I know? I have ~500hrs dyno time on marine engines at my work. I just finishing emissions testing on the dyno on one partciular engine (small 5hp motor) and I leaned it out to 21:1 A/F (1.5 lambda) on ~91 octane and no engine damage (it did lose 20% POWER that lean).

Obviously you want to be richer than 14:1, but it wont hurt the car to make a few pulls to see the A/F curve.

As far as LSx tuning, I dont know what the ecu will do to inhibit the performance, but physicall the engine will be fine to make a few pulls.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:25 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by RealQuick
Actually, if your N/A it wont hurt your engine at all. Power ouput will be down. How do I know? I have ~500hrs dyno time on marine engines at my work. I just finishing emissions testing on the dyno on one partciular engine (small 5hp motor) and I leaned it out to 21:1 A/F (1.5 lambda) on ~91 octane and no engine damage (it did lose 20% POWER that lean).

Obviously you want to be richer than 14:1, but it wont hurt the car to make a few pulls to see the A/F curve.

As far as LSx tuning, I dont know what the ecu will do to inhibit the performance, but physicall the engine will be fine to make a few pulls.
And I've actually seen LS1 motors blow because the A/F was 14-1 Your talking 2 different types of motors
Old 06-07-2005, 12:14 PM
TECH Junkie

And I've actually seen LS1 motors blow because the A/F was 14-1 Your talking 2 different types of motors
N/A? Sounds like they had something else wrong with the engine...
Old 06-07-2005, 12:24 PM
TECH Junkie

By the way, some detail on the engines I deal with:

Marine generators and propulsion engines

For ultra low emissions we run all loads at stoichometric conditions (14.7:1 A/F). We use TBI fuel injection system as well as O2's to control the lambda. These engines run 14.7:1 all of their life (from no load to full load). They are regular 4 cycle gasoline engines with generator back ends mated to them.

I have also witnessed an 05 Mustang GT hit 17:1 A/F on the dyno I told him to shut it down as soon as I saw it (since he wasnt paying attention to the A/F). Regardless, it didnt hurt him. Everyone has their own experiences I guess.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i'd rather tune it and not worry about it at all, plus in addition i will get to enjoy the full benefit of my mods..

it was never a question of 'to tune or not to tune' it was more like 'to drive until i get a tune, or not to drive'...but..
since TTP rules, they get my car tomorrow..

Thanks again, Matt
Old 06-07-2005, 01:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

N/A? Sounds like they had something else wrong with the engine...
Keep learning young Skywalker
Old 06-07-2005, 01:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Keep learning young Skywalker
Teach me Don N/A engines or FI? I understand you dont want to run FI that lean...
Old 06-07-2005, 01:07 PM
TECH Junkie

i'd rather tune it and not worry about it at all, plus in addition i will get to enjoy the full benefit of my mods..

it was never a question of 'to tune or not to tune' it was more like 'to drive until i get a tune, or not to drive'...but..
since TTP rules, they get my car tomorrow..

Thanks again, Matt
Give us some background. Why was it at TTP for a dyno? Ddi they finish installing something? If you just went to do a few dyno pulls, then I assume you have gotten on it on the street? Details please...
Old 06-07-2005, 01:23 PM
Banned

Realquick: He's done a few mods to the car. He is a good customer of ours and he was at our dyno day this past weekend. Car was in the 14.1:1-14.6:1 range the whole way up to 6k. I suggested not to make anymore runs on the car and to do the tune when he can. We have worked out something with him already and tomorrow the car will be tuned to its full potential which also includes our custom timing map, part throttle ltrim tuning, trans tune (Which we already did actually), ses code removal (Done already) and the WOT A/F tuning.

For quick reference most N/A engines should be run at no more than 13/13.1:1 on the dyno. FI engines it depends on a lot of factors like c/r, boost, etc. but if you follow the quick guideline you dont want to run anymore than 12.2:1... most FI cars I'll run 11.5-11.8:1 on the dyno just to be safe. Nitrous cars like to be around 12:1.

Last edited by TTPMatt; 06-07-2005 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TTPMatt
Realquick: He's done a few mods to the car. He is a good customer of ours and he was at our dyno day this past weekend. Car was in the 14.1:1-14.6:1 range the whole way up to 6k. I suggested not to make anymore runs on the car and to do the tune when he can. We have worked out something with him already and tomorrow the car will be tuned to its full potential which also includes our custom timing map, part throttle ltrim tuning, trans tune (Which we already did actually), ses code removal (Done already) and the WOT A/F tuning.
Thanks for replying. That was sort of my point to start with, that he'd be able to still make a few runs to atleast get a layout of what the A/F curve looks like. My experience was that those few pulls (N/A of course) wouldnt cause engine damage, especially if it was a low 14 A/F. UNfortunately, Don has witnessed something different.

As far as him attending a dyno day, I assume he had been driving his car previous to that dyno day? If so, I'd also assume he has gotten on it on the street (which load the car even more so then a dynojet). If this is true, it proves my point that a low 14 A/F, while hindering the power output, SHOULDNT blow up a naturally aspirated engine.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As far as him attending a dyno day, I assume he had been driving his car previous to that dyno day? If so, I'd also assume he has gotten on it on the street (which load the car even more so then a dynojet).
You assume too much.

I actually didn't go WOT even once, since about beginning of May. I sorta miss it. Cat went bad, spark plug wire was severed, etc.. new problem each day. This time my tranny (in my opinion) runs too hot on the street. Around 220* according to my gauge.. So I wont be able to go WOT again, until I get a fan for the tranny cooler and may be a deeper trans pan. But at least Ill be able to go WOT while my tranny is cold and highways! Finally.. at least some type of action..

The car, aside from the dyno day, has not seen more than 4000 rpms in a long while.. and thats with my 3600 stall..

Stop assuming.

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:31 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thanks for replying. That was sort of my point to start with, that he'd be able to still make a few runs to atleast get a layout of what the A/F curve looks like. My experience was that those few pulls (N/A of course) wouldnt cause engine damage, especially if it was a low 14 A/F. UNfortunately, Don has witnessed something different.

As far as him attending a dyno day, I assume he had been driving his car previous to that dyno day? If so, I'd also assume he has gotten on it on the street (which load the car even more so then a dynojet). If this is true, it proves my point that a low 14 A/F, while hindering the power output, SHOULDNT blow up a naturally aspirated engine.
Damn,you missed it.I was not saying 1 dyno run will blow a motor Now,if you drive it for months and hit WOT alot engine damage can happen
And 14-1 could give you more hp on the dyno.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:38 AM
TECH Junkie

I didnt miss it You tried to say marine engines and car engines are totally, diffferent, which they arent Gasoline engine = gasoline engine.