Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Anyone ever install a Boiler?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone ever install a Boiler?

I just got a new Burnham Boiler. From what I am understanding I need to have a Professional install it because I live here in MA. Anyone have any experence with this, is it easy to do, anyone have any idea what it costs to have it done by a Pro? - Thanks
Old 08-31-2005, 08:16 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It can be pretty easy it depends on what you have now and what you want to do, if your simply replacing an old boiler with a new one and your old piping is sufficient it can be very easy. But if you need to replace some of the old plumbing or even want it completely repiped it can be a little more time consuming. I would call your oil/gas company and have them give you a quote on how much it would be, that will give you some idea's. I'm not sure how busy things are in your area but it would be very expensive to have a company like mine do it right now because we are so busy we are already scheduling for oct-nov. But like I said, if your just replacing an old boiler and want it done fast, easy and cheap, find a firend who has any experience and it could cost you no more than a case of beer.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:24 AM
8 second mod

depending on the swap will depend on the price.
where in mass are you?
I have a plumber who is very resonable. let me know where you are located i will see if he will travle. he can give you a price. he's very good he does 99% of our residental/light comurtal work
Old 08-31-2005, 08:30 AM
TECH Junkie

should of bought a Heat Transfer Products Munchkin boiler
Old 08-31-2005, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

unless your comfortable soldering/ compression fittings and **** then leave it to a pro. Also if its not tuned right you can get a puff back and that isnt good.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:33 AM
8 second mod

a pro should do it either way, mass is very hard with the stupid code **** and permits, i know a guy that did some small plumbing stuff himself, when he went to sell the house, he got screwed!

those Muchkins are nice!! i just did a house with a super store and some hydro air units. very nice.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:40 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Noyzee
those Muchkins are nice!! i just did a house with a super store and some hydro air units. very nice.
We install alot of muchkins, you can't beat a 199btu boiler that one guy can carry down the basement stairs. Extremely quiet operation and very efficient. This fall I'm replacing my oil boiler with a munchkin 80 and a superstore. I don't have a very big house so an 80 will be fine, and I can't wait to have boiler that I can hang on a wall
Old 08-31-2005, 08:46 AM
8 second mod

Originally Posted by Nautilus
We install alot of muchkins, you can't beat a 199btu boiler that one guy can carry down the basement stairs. Extremely quiet operation and very efficient. This fall I'm replacing my oil boiler with a munchkin 80 and a superstore. I don't have a very big house so an 80 will be fine, and I can't wait to have boiler that I can hang on a wall
LMAO, they are a great piece. i cant believe how well they work, this guy has 2 of them, one runs, once the one cant keep up he has a controler with outdoor temps ect and it will kick on the 2nd one so he will never run out of hot water!!!!!
Old 08-31-2005, 08:52 AM
TECH Junkie

I work for Heat Transfer
Old 08-31-2005, 09:05 AM
9 Second Club

LMAO, they are a great piece. i cant believe how well they work, this guy has 2 of them, one runs, once the one cant keep up he has a controler with outdoor temps ect and it will kick on the 2nd one so he will never run out of hot water!!!!!
Similar to this setup we just finished....... 18,000 sq/ft house with another 3000-4000 sq/ft of snow melt. We used 2-399btu muchkins a superstor and 2 hot water storage tanks. We have radient in every inch of the house, but because of the high celings & windows we also have coils in the a/c to be used for quick pick up and maintaining on -20 days in the winter.

Here are the boilers & main header

This is the superstor & storage tanks

These are 2 of the High velocity A/C units, as you can see the coils are in, but this pic was taken before they were piped, we have 15 of these air handlers spread out through the house, it's a log home so conventional a/c was out of the question, they wanted it as compact as possible. these two are in the attic.

Krazy98Z28: I work for Heat Transfer
What do you do there?
Old 08-31-2005, 09:08 AM
TECH Junkie

I run the replacement parts department, i used to work in the shipping department.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:10 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Krazy98Z28
I run the replacement parts department, i used to work in the shipping department.
Well then I'm sure we have gotten quite a few parts direct from you because F.W. Webb is terrible about stocking replacement parts for muchkins.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:13 AM
8 second mod

Originally Posted by Nautilus
Similar to this setup we just finished....... 18,000 sq/ft house with another 3000-4000 sq/ft of snow melt. We used 2-399btu muchkins a superstor and 2 hot water storage tanks. We have radient in every inch of the house, but because of the high celings & windows we also have coils in the a/c to be used for quick pick up and maintaining on -20 days in the winter.

Here are the boilers & main header

This is the superstor & storage tanks

These are 2 of the High velocity A/C units, as you can see the coils are in, but this pic was taken before they were piped, we have 15 of these air handlers spread out through the house, it's a log home so conventional a/c was out of the question, they wanted it as compact as possible. these two are in the attic.

What do you do there?
VERY VERY NICE Work!!!!!! so you guys have inhouse plumbing? or do you sub it out?
but yes, my install was similar, but the guy only put radiant in the master bath. and we only had 4 hot water coils.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Emerson Swan has plenty lol
Old 08-31-2005, 09:18 AM
9 Second Club

VERY VERY NICE Work!!!!!! so you guys have inhouse plumbing? or do you sub it out?
but yes, my install was similar, but the guy only put radiant in the master bath. and we only had 4 hot water coils.
Thanks, we do all of the mechanicals, the only thing we sub is the electrical & i've been trying to convince my dad we need to just higher an electrition and a helper and then we wouldn't have to sub almost anything, but he thinks we have enough to deal with already..... maybe, but I think we could do it, and we will, it's just going to take some more poking before he listens.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:07 AM
8 second mod

Krazy, i deel with swan everyonce and a while, nice place.

we sub out plumbing and electric, like you said, we have enough to deal with. 35 men that need more attention then a 2 year old. LOL

we do have an in house plumber, but we rarely use him for water or gas, usualy just ACR install, and furnace replacements.
we also have an in house control guy, but mainly because all the permits ect, let someone ealse deal with it. lol
Old 08-31-2005, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jesus those muchkins look nice. Maybe when I grab some more cash I can move the Burnham to my tenate side and I'll grab one.

I live in Haverhill MA. Does he accept cases as well ? lol
Old 09-01-2005, 05:59 AM
8 second mod

My guy will probably go out there.
try giving him a call, tell him Brad Noyes (noise) sent you.
his name is John from Indipendent mech. 1-978-375-1927

he wont go that far, let me know i have a nother plumber that may.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:47 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm anxious to see how long these "Munchkins" will live...Probably, not many of you guys are old enough to remember the "Paloma-Pak" boilers that the gas companies were selling years back. They were very similar to the Munchkin. After 5 yrs. and up use, the combustion chambers and flue passages were all burning up on the things and filling basements, closets, and other areas where they were installed with carbon monoxide. They even started a few fires. There were lawsuits galore, and ComGas and other suppliers pulled out every one they had installed, just to escape the liability. I've been in the Plmbg.-Heating business for over 35 years and most of these munchkin types have been proven to be "throw away" boilers after a few years of being in service. Give me a good quality, made in the U.S.A. cast iron oil-fired boiler, such as a Peerless, Weil-Mclain, or if it's gas fired, even a Burnham over one of these little toys that a guy can carry down the cellar stairs and hang it up w/a piece of 1/4" threaded rod and a couple of tie-wraps...Time will decide the Munchkin's fate. My opinion only--I just like first-quality equipment...WJ
Old 09-01-2005, 11:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Peerless buys our boilers and tanks we just put their name on it. ALot of the big companies buy our coils for their tanks too.

We were gonna make a cast iron oil-fired boiler, but we just pulled the plug on that, dam things are heavy as hell

Quick Reply: Anyone ever install a Boiler?