Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

NY inspection/emissions questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 10:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NY inspection/emissions questions

Well, here it goes. I plain to purchase my first LS1!! Actually, its a LS6!!! Here is a link to the car i might be buying.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-members/333667-fs-2001-camaro-ss-forged-347-moser-12-bolt-etc.html

Changes to the car before i buy it are as follows. High flow cats, smaller cam, new gears and airbags.

Now my question is... What happens come time to get this bad boy inspected?? According to the seller the CPU on the car is programmed, so it will pass. What about the visual inspection? are long tubes legal in NY? I know in california its not the LT's themselves that make the cars fail.. its the fact that the cats have to get relocated to accomidate the LT's. And relocating the cats is illegall. So with that said, im a little skeptical on NY laws. ( take it easy on me, i've been driving a 91 maxima!! )

Please, tell me all you guys know about inspections in the state of NY.

If these questiions have been asked, and answered already im sorry for the DP. Ive used the search button to the best i could, but most emission threads were based in california.

Thanks in advance for all the help guys!!

Last edited by Deutch420; 09-15-2005 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:11 PM
Staging Lane

Try posting in teh easter memeber forum on the bottom on the main page. You might get more resonds/help there.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 98V6camaro
Try posting in teh easter memeber forum on the bottom on the main page. You might get more resonds/help there.
thread moved....

c'mon New Yorkers.. This is the deciding factor on me getting, or not getting the car!!
Old 09-16-2005, 08:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

There is no state that LT headers are legal. This is because there is a Federal law that states relocating cats is illegal. You also can not replace a cat(s) unless they have more then 55K miles or are defective. And even then you are supposed to replace them with factory originals. So buying a car with LT headers and HF cats will fail any visual inspection. That's the bad news.

The good news is that NY (like just about all states outside of California) is not real **** about visual inspections. You could get unlucky and go into the wrong place at the wrong time but most likely you will only have to pass a OBDII scan. They hook up your car to a computer, look for any codes and feed the info directly to the state DMV computer. With a good tune and HF cats you should have no trouble passing. It's not likely a inspector in NY (this is all new here) will know where the cats were supposed to be, what the stock ones look like or even care for that matter.

Good Luck
Old 09-16-2005, 10:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by darrensls1formula
There is no state that LT headers are legal. This is because there is a Federal law that states relocating cats is illegal. You also can not replace a cat(s) unless they have more then 55K miles or are defective. And even then you are supposed to replace them with factory originals. So buying a car with LT headers and HF cats will fail any visual inspection. That's the bad news.

The good news is that NY (like just about all states outside of California) is not real **** about visual inspections. You could get unlucky and go into the wrong place at the wrong time but most likely you will only have to pass a OBDII scan. They hook up your car to a computer, look for any codes and feed the info directly to the state DMV computer. With a good tune and HF cats you should have no trouble passing. It's not likely a inspector in NY (this is all new here) will know where the cats were supposed to be, what the stock ones look like or even care for that matter.

Good Luck

Thanks a lot! thats the news i wanted to hear!!

Is that all there is too it; anything thing else i should know? Basically, i plain to buy this car as long as im sure it will pass inspection. My neighbors dad has a place i think i could take it to. And im sure he doesnt have a clue where the cats were origonally were...

any input from anyone else??
Old 09-16-2005, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

Coming from someone that does inspections on a daily basis. As long as the car has cats and all other emissions stuff/ no check engine light and monitors ready. I would have no issue passing the car.

Again it all depends on the day. I once had a customer bring me a lx mustang that was a mid 10's car everything passed except he had no cats 'which I was going to over look', but the car had no Wiper blades, no wiper arms, and a fuel pressure guage mounted in such a way, it wouldn't allow the wipers to work. Well his attitude on the phone about not having the wipers pissed me off and guess what it didnt pass. I found out later he had to put converters on becuase no one would pass it. If I can make one request for guys with missing emission equipment. Make damm sure that everything else on the car works/installed. Overlooking on thing is bad enough, but you having other "Issues" just doesn't make it worthwhile. Enjoy. John
Old 09-16-2005, 04:48 PM
Banned

John. Thanks a bunch for the information. Too bad your located in Albany... otherwise, all my worries would be put to rest. . Everything else on the car is pristine, and in fully functional working order.

So, do you guys feel it is safe for me to say that i will eventually be able to find someone to overlook the relocation of the CAT(s)? If so, i think this beauty will be parked in front of my house within the month... VRUMMMM
Old 09-16-2005, 08:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by darrensls1formula
You could get unlucky and go into the wrong place at the wrong time
And what happens then? Can they take my car? Issue me fines; if so, how much??

sry if these are noob questions, but i gotta know. And i couldnt find much help searching the web or this forum...
Old 09-16-2005, 11:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Deutch420
And what happens then? Can they take my car? Issue me fines; if so, how much??

sry if these are noob questions, but i gotta know. And i couldnt find much help searching the web or this forum...

Yeah the Illegal mod gets your car impounded, the Feds are called, Big fines and they may throw your *** in jail!!!!!!!!!!!! But I've been involved with 2 case's of improper inspection and both were quick lube's. It funny what happens when a car gets a NYSI and then 2 days/15 miles later it goes into a shop for a fuel leak, and while underneath find 2 cracked(Bad) brake hoses, 1 rear wheel cylinder leaking, rear brake shoes gone!! It didnt take long for my dmv inspector to get there and take some pic's. Owner got fined, Person doing the inspection got fined, and owner was questioned for Accepting improper inspection. Again its the Depends on what kind of day we are having. This lately is how alot of shops have been getting nailed. Its just freaking stupid for a shop to overlook major safety issue's. You make so much money doing just the inspection I can retire after just a few yr of Lickems and stickems

Hahahah Just kiding. The only thing that might happen if you dont pass inspection is that its going to cost you 21 buck unless you are from the city. But A little tweaty bird told me that once the NYVIP program cycles through for a yr uninspected cars that are still registered will be fined for each day. Kinda just like having no insurance. Gotta love puters. Right now all Im really required to verify is that a Cat is there. I dont recall anything in the regs for improper location. Anymore questions just ask. Later John
Old 09-17-2005, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Yeah I've heard something along those lines - but I believe they give you 1 month from when they send you a notice that the car is uninspected, and then they suspend your registration.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:13 PM
Banned

Anyone else have some tips for me?

Gonna be working out deal tonight, so any tips would be nice.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As long as it passed the OBD test you should be alright. I rarely hear about people who don't pass due to visual inspection (especially if there are cats on the car). Basically don't be dick and just roll in there like it's all stock. I'd say if they give you any crap just leave and go elsewhere. I have similar mods as you listed and haven't had any problems. OBD-II testing rocks
Old 09-19-2005, 12:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by My90Iroc
Basically don't be dick and just roll in there like it's all stock. I'd say if they give you any crap just leave and go elsewhere.

There's only one problem with that. As the Shop that is doing the inspection I know your car has been somewhere else now. You are supposed to produce the Rejection notice. If you play stupid with me, then Im going to go 100% by the book. Again you have to love Computer's. Enjoy the new car. You shouldnt have any issues with it. Later John