Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Rothlisberger hurt in bike crash....

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 05:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rothlisberger hurt in bike crash....

Very lucky to be alive. Steeler owners and staff can't be too happy w/helmetless or ANY motorcycle riding by their QB. Looking at TV pics, he very easily could've bought the farm.... WJ
Old 06-13-2006, 06:07 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by WJ SOM SS
Very lucky to be alive. Steeler owners and staff can't be too happy w/helmetless or ANY motorcycle riding by their QB. Looking at TV pics, he very easily could've bought the farm.... WJ
I saw that on the news yesterday.... I thought some Pro players contracts prohibited them from taking certain risks. Something tells me if riding a motorcycle without a helmet if at all will soon bo on that list. He was listed as "Serious but stable condition, with multiple facial fractures including his jaw and nose". By the sound of the accident and injuries he did a face plant... he has no other major injuries besides his face.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:11 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Seattle Times
Roethlisberger repeatedly has said he likes to ride without a helmet, a habit that once prompted a lecture from Steelers coach Bill Cowher.

Pennsylvania's mandatory helmet law was repealed in 2003.

Cowher spoke to Roethlisberger about his penchant for riding without a helmet after Cleveland tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. was injured in a motorcycle accident last year.

Roethlisberger remained defiant on the issue and said publicly that he considered himself a safe rider even though he didn't wear a helmet. Roethlisberger's contract, unlike Winslow's, reportedly does not explicitly prohibit him from riding a motorcycle, although NFL players' contracts contain standard clauses about avoiding dangerous activities.

Roethlisberger was on his 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa — the company calls it the world's fastest bike for legal street riding — and heading toward an intersection on the edge of downtown. A Chrysler New Yorker traveling in the opposite direction took a left turn and collided with the motorcycle, and Roethlisberger was thrown, police said.

The car was driven by a 62-year-old woman, police said. No charges were immediately filed stemming from the accident.

Witness Sandra Ford was waiting at a bus stop when she said she saw the motorcycle approach. Seconds later, she said she heard a crash, saw the motorcyclist in the air and ran toward the crash scene.

"He wasn't moving and I was afraid that he had died. ... He wasn't really speaking," said Ford, who didn't realize the man was Roethlisberger.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:10 AM
TECH Resident

He was hit by a 62 year old woman who was driving a car with Maine plates.....GO PATS !!
Old 06-13-2006, 07:13 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1st and goal
He was hit by a 62 year old woman who was driving a car with Maine plates.....GO PATS !!
If you can't beat them.... hit 'em with your car... yup sounds like a pats fan
Old 06-13-2006, 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1st and goal
Old 06-13-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

Too bad, and I hope he's all right, but thats funny as ****, I don't care who you are! NE fans are the best!!!!
Old 06-13-2006, 10:53 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its funny cuz they interviewed him last year about just this topic because of the clauses in players contracts, now he gets messed up because of not wearing a helmet. I think these states that don't mandate it should reconsider...when I was down in Florida last month nearly every day there was at least 1 death from a motorcycle accident...even with a helmet its a crapshoot but without it just increases the odds of death.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:46 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what an idiot.... millions of dollars and a great career or a trip on the old busa without a helmet......hmmmm, tough choice, the way my hair flows without a helmet on a bike looks so damn cool!

i bet he'll never play in the nfl again, he's prob cross eyed now and couldnt throw the ball straight for the life of him.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:01 PM
9 Second Club

Old 06-13-2006, 12:07 PM
Launching!

Riding with no bucket is stupid.

The Busa is not the fastest street bike. ZX14 for the win.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Pic on the a.m. news showed the car he got tangled up with....looked as though he slammed the windshield pillar pretty damn hard...Pretty much rule of thumb: Usually there are no "fender benders" when a bike gets tangled up with a car, truck, tree, utility pole, guardrail, bridge abutment, deer, moose-- most anything for that matter....Hell, rabbits, squirrels, skunks, and even lowly chipmunks have been known to de-rail a bike rider under the wrong circumstances....helmetless really increases chance of serious injury. Then you've got the senior citizen drivers who don't have a clue as to WTF they're doing out there when behind the wheel, plus the people who hate motorcycles and would just as soon run you off the freakin' road....I love my bike, but it's also pretty stressful having to drive so defensively every time I take the thing out....WJ
Old 06-13-2006, 12:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah nice job Ben. Now instead of only having damaged knees, you have a busted up face and no teeth. Nice work
Old 06-13-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Steelers aren't going to win the Super Bowl next year anyway. Dallas is gonna take it all.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
The Steelers aren't going to win the Super Bowl next year anyway. Dallas is gonna take it all.
do cowboys fans say that every year in hopes they actually win?
Old 06-13-2006, 05:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by V8pwrdz28
do cowboys fans say that every year in hopes they actually win?
yeah...ive heard that every single year since the last time they won it and they still havent even come close.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:03 PM
11 Second Club

BTW...a report earlier this afternoon suggested that he hurt one of his knees also. i think Big Ben will be out for quite sometime.

currently the only sport that does not allow a player to ride a motorcycle, according to contract guidelines, is the NBA. (ex: Bulls fans will remember poor Jay Williams, not the sharpest tool in the shed)

tell ya what, if some idiot would pay me 15million a year to toss a football around and have a catch with a few other guys, id keep my *** in a bubble when i wasnt on the field...
Old 06-13-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
Dallas?? You must've gotten ahold of some real good drugs down there in Jersey.... WJ
Old 06-14-2006, 05:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Errr....Ben, you're supposed to have a motorcycle license to drive one of those things....that Steeler mentality showing up on this morning's news... WJ
Old 06-14-2006, 06:07 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TNTramair
BTW...a report earlier this afternoon suggested that he hurt one of his knees also. i think Big Ben will be out for quite sometime.
I've seen a couple small reports about that too, but they aren't saying anything and the family asked that no other specific information be released about his condition until further notice