Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Pennsylvania

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 08:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pennsylvania

Here is my situation. A little over a year ago I installed an SLP air box lid, smooth bellows, high flow air filter, 160' thermostat, 4:11 gears, and a cam and lifter kit. This also included matching springs, retainers and push rods. The cam specs were 220/226 564 569 113+4. I had the cam kit and springs installed by Rapid Motorsports. The install of these parts had taken about 4 to 5 hours. I am skeptical when it comes to people I don't know and of course I didn't and don't know Mickey from Rapid.

I was told by the cam company that with this cam no tuning would be necessary. Rapid said it would. I had believed the cam company. Needless to say my car ran kind of crappy for over a year.

I recently visited East Side to have the tuning done, plugs installed (NGK TR55GP), and a set of 1.75 roller rockers installed. East Side is a 3.5 hour drive from where I live so this was a day adventure. I had dropped my car off at 8:00AM as I had told Sean that I would, got a rent a car and spent the night in Connecticut. I got a call around 2:00PM from Sean telling me
that the rockers were too complex for them to put in, and they would be more of a headache then anything. I told him I would get back to him with my decision within 15 minutes. I decided on not doing this based on his information. I contacted the company that made these rockers and after talking to a tech decided on just doing it. This had taken another whole 10 minutes. Calling Sean back he seemed upset with my decision.
He said he would get back to me which he did. This is already around 3:30PM. His original quote of $100 for an easy install to $200 for a complex install (and the price we agreed on $150.00), went to over $300.00. So I just said forget it. Just do the plugs and tuning. Next morning calling Sean back I was told that the plugs were in but the car could not be tuned properly due to a mis on cylinders 2, 6, and 8.

I am already into this trip for a motel stay, a rent a car and additional expenses. Now I was told that they could look at the car for $75.00 an hour and it probably would take all day just to find the problem. I thought about it but for the rent a car and motel was over a $100.00 to begin with. Then aprox another $300.00 to $550.00 to diagnose a problem. I just couldn't do it.

I like my car and everything, but I also have a wife and two kids that take priority. And yes I know I probably shouldn't have started modding it.

Well getting back to Pa I decided to write Mickey of Rapid. Funny thing, after he installed my cam I wrote him a few times and he never wrote back. But giving this a shot he did write back. He seemed so defensive that I had to ask him not to be so defensive and asked for advice.

Well looking for local speed shops around this area I came up with a place that said they could diagnose the problem. I gave them all the information from the cam install and from what Sean had told me. Getting to the shop the told me less then what I already knew. Their thought was that the cam might not have been installed correctly.

So here is the problem that I can use help on. I live in the Scranton, Pa. area. I have a 2000 SS Camaro, manual trans, with the above mods. The car holds back on acceleration. Sean said there was a mis on cylinders 2, 6, and 8. I have limited funds to work with. Does anyone know of anyone who can help with this issue in or around the Scranton, Pa area???
Old 06-28-2006, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Using a scanner, it'll be easy to see the misfire, but diagnosing the cause could be time consuming. It could be coil packs, plugs, wires, or possibly the cam being installed incorrectly.

Many of us in our local car club have quite a bit of experience working on our cars and might be able to help out, but it could take a while. Come on over to our board at www.motorcityforums.com and we can see if we could help you out. I've done two cam installs in my car already and there are several other who have been through it.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:59 PM
11 Second Club

Give Matt@HSW a call and may be able to help you out. shop isnt too far from you i dont think....they are in warminster and are a board sponsor...--->>
goodluck
Old 06-28-2006, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Tom. Sorry there was so much confusion about the rockers I guess I wasn't clear enough about direct bolt on or adjustable. I quoted the price for drop in not adjustable. The rockers are not too complex to install we quoted drop in style thats why you were called and a decision had to be made. I just wish We communicated more upon drop off. We didn't know of any drivability concern. We though it was just your normal tune up type of plug install. If we had know that the car was having drivabilty issues me and you could have talked more prior to your visit and had it set up for a longer drop off...Again sorry for any mis-comunication and give me a shout if we can help w/ anything. When it was all said and done it is better that the rockers were not installed becuse the drivabilty issue should be addressed before moving forward. As to the cam being installed wrong that is unlikely. Mikey at rapid is top notch and please do not drag him into anything because we are good freinds with him and noone would of implied that a cam that has been in the car for a year was causing your problem. We asked you to leave the car to diag. it but you opt'd to take the car and go home. I was willing to make arrangements to fit your car in for diag but again you opt'd to take it.If ya need an hand w/ anything give me a shout. 203-269-1539
Thxs
Sean

Last edited by SPRSPT; 06-28-2006 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:54 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Tom, since you want to say that you are skeptical of my work and that the cam may be installed incorrectly I will make you a deal. You bring the car here for a diagnosis. If the problem is with the tuning then you pay for a full dyno tune. If that's not the problem and there's something that I did wrong then I will cover the tune and anything needed to correct the problem. Deal?
Old 06-29-2006, 07:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Way to step up, Mikey. I doubt there's something wrong with the install since you could do one in your sleep. Seems to be dubious stories here. It'd be interesting to hear what the problem really is.

You may not hear from the owner any time soon since they evacuated everyone up his way due to the flood.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dude, f- you.
Rapid and Eastsides reps are fine without this hammer. You should have had Mikey tune your car when he told you too. I hate that you guys waste time on him as he probably wont be happy anyway.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:16 AM
12 Second Club

Solid Move Mikey
But in all fairness I bet all of this could have been avoided if he just had his car tuned like he should have

Its like buying a carton of cigs and opting for matches
Old 06-29-2006, 02:28 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey we all live and learn. The guy has only <20 posts so it's not like he's been around and knows the ins and outs of the ls1. The place he bought the cam from said it didn't need tuning, so he probably felt like it was something that he would do at a later time when the funds were available. He openly said that Mikey recommended it to him, and he then admits that the car didn't run great for a year. At which point he was probably steered towards East Side for one reason or another and in his mind it was a bad experience. I can understand how he feels. He spent $xxx.00 at the shop, plus travel, hotel, etc, and still felt empty. As a husband with a wife who feels that the car is a waste, I can understand his frustration. That's why I do all of the work that I can myself these days, but at one point in time, I was in his same shoes.

I feel bad for the guy. I don't think he's here to bash Mikey or East Side, he's just looking to feel good about his car again after spending all this time and money and ended up back home feeling empty, not having solved any of his problems. If anything, I blame the cam company and who ever sold him the rocker arms for over selling him. They should have explained that the rocker arms needed to be adjusted and were not simple bolt-ons. They should have spelled it out to him that when putting in a cam, you need tuning, and not only WOT dyno tuning because that's only a smart part of the tuning that needs to be done, part throttle and street drivability are just as important to a person with a daily driver as WOT is.

Give the guy some credit. It seems like he has a wife/family limited budget which is totally understandable and he just wants to make sure that his dollars are well spent. Cut the guy some slack. He's not here bashing anyone.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikey
Tom, since you want to say that you are skeptical of my work and that the cam may be installed incorrectly I will make you a deal. You bring the car here for a diagnosis. If the problem is with the tuning then you pay for a full dyno tune. If that's not the problem and there's something that I did wrong then I will cover the tune and anything needed to correct the problem. Deal?
Mikey
Problem is not with the tune as we did not charge for or did any tuning .
When we saw there was a problem we advised Tom leave the car with us so we could look in to it further.

Last edited by SPRSPT; 06-29-2006 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by SPRSPT
Mikey
Problem is not with the tune as we did not charge for or did any tuning .
When we saw there was a problem we advised Tom leave the car with us so we could look in to it further.
I think the problem is that there is no tuning. You will see random misfires from a cam with 113+4 no matter what Comp. says. I have well over 100 cam installs. I know what needs tuned and what does not. My offer stands....
Old 06-29-2006, 05:10 PM
Teching In

I am not going to get into who did what or who said what or any thing like that. We all have a passion for our vehicles thats why we are here. As I see everyone helps everyone with advise and whatever else is needed to carry on this passion. I think this is great.

I don't have a bad thing to say about Mickey or Sean. If I came off that way I apologise. I just have a concern for my vehicle. Lack of communication and mistakes were made. I will take the blame. I am on a limited budget which is why I probably should have not started modding in the first place.

You know what gets me, people like Stripstar. Why bash me, you in love with someone here??? I just stated facts. I am trying not down anyone.

Mickey, if you don't mind sometime in the near future I will contact you and take you up on that offer.

I thank everyone for the responses, and please don't take this post wrong, I am just trying to figure out what is wrong with the car. I just question people that I do not know. I think both Rapid and East Side are both reputable and have the capability to do excellent work....
Old 06-29-2006, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikey
I think the problem is that there is no tuning. You will see random misfires from a cam with 113+4 no matter what Comp. says. I have well over 100 cam installs. I know what needs tuned and what does not. My offer stands....
I would agree with that Mickey...The car does need a tune but the problem should be handled 1st....She was down a solid 100 HP on the dyno. More than just a tune is needed.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FastTrack
I am not going to get into who did what or who said what or any thing like that. We all have a passion for our vehicles thats why we are here. As I see everyone helps everyone with advise and whatever else is needed to carry on this passion. I think this is great.

I don't have a bad thing to say about Mickey or Sean. If I came off that way I apologise. I just have a concern for my vehicle. Lack of communication and mistakes were made. I will take the blame. I am on a limited budget which is why I probably should have not started modding in the first place.

You know what gets me, people like Stripstar. Why bash me, you in love with someone here??? I just stated facts. I am trying not down anyone.

Mickey, if you don't mind sometime in the near future I will contact you and take you up on that offer.

I thank everyone for the responses, and please don't take this post wrong, I am just trying to figure out what is wrong with the car. I just question people that I do not know. I think both Rapid and East Side are both reputable and have the capability to do excellent work....
No prob. Tom. Hope everything works out for ya....Again if ya need anything give me a shout at the shop.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

its Mikey!
Old 06-29-2006, 08:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

If it's down on power that much it sounds like a leak down test is in order. Tom, the offer stands. Call me when you're ready.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:08 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm glad to read that things are getting worked out. As much as this is a business for some, it's a passion and love for all of us. We need to keep an eye out for each other and lend a helping hand sometimes.

Best of luck to everyone involved.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:44 AM
8 second mod

solid move mikey!

sounds like he wanted a cheep easy power mod, and dint not listen to the expert, and now there is an issue, but live and learn i guess.
good luck with the fix
Old 06-30-2006, 09:09 PM
12 Second Club

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
solid move mikey!

sounds like he wanted a cheep easy power mod, and dint not listen to the expert, and now there is an issue, but live and learn i guess.
good luck with the fix
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Tuning is part of a cam install, not sure why you didn't do it in the first place. Hope it works out for you
Old 07-01-2006, 10:42 AM
12 Second Club

Live and learn. If you're on a limited budget and you want power a cam swap isn't always the best bet. Do it once, do it right. The car should've been tuned right at the beginning, regardless of what the part maker says. If the car was running like crap for over a year a huge red flag should've gone up.

I've never dealt with either of the shops listed in this thread(I have my own guy I use) but what a stand up move by Mikey. :thumbsup: