Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

F-body Racers Inside Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there has been some talk of displacement rules for the classes and maybe even regulating the base weights by displacement. we would haveto find a good way to check and enforce the rules without tearing people engines apart.

the weights are something that we are looking very hard at in pure street and hot street.it is tough to find a happy medium between letting the 1st and 3rd gen guys do the common weight reduction stuff and still not screwing over the 2nd and 4th gen guys who's cars started out much heavier. from teh feedback we are getting it seems that most people would prefer that we leave things a little bit more towards the heavy side to get things started.
for extreme and outlaw, those are race car classes. so far no one seems to care what weight we come up with. lol

thanks for the feedback. your registration should be up now. we had some incidents not long ago that prompted us to monitor and approve new members, so sometimes there is a few hours delay before you can start posting.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:05 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I thnk keeping the weight a little high on the pure street and hot street classes wouldn't ba a bad idea.. if the purpose of those classes are for the beginner and for the intermediate car, then I'd think that weight rules accordingly should be inforced.. the pure street class having a pretty heavy weight actually. I'd look into what the heaviest possible optioned car was, and the lightest possible car, and find some middle ground there. teh hot street class, the lightest possible car from the factory would be a good place to be I'd think.. by the time guys get done adding roll bars and stuff that's needed, that weight would probably be a decent place to start.

A displacment rule shoudl be in effet for the pure street class for sure, and I'd think a no power adder rule would also open it up to alot more of the cars that you want for the class. Nothing would be worse for that class then having a 3500 lb weight rule across the board, and have someone with a 700 inch big block with 2.73 gears and a glide in a 1st gen car enter it and race against h/c 4th gen cars, and the like... that would be ugly to say the least. I can think of a couple people off the top of my head that have cars like that, and they wouldn't hesitate to enter a class like that... even though they really have no business in it.... but because they are running stock suspension ad an original interior, they're car fits the class by that standard.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

good suggestions jl.
we have updated the power adder rules in pure street, hot street, and extreme street as discussed. feedback was overwhelmingly for the change.

thre are a few new points that just got listed as well. it has been suggested that we add some rules pertaining to body work , specifically hoods and doors. check out what has been suggested and let us knwo what you guys wanna see.

the rules are coming together very quickly. it is all thanks to the feedback we are getting from everyone. keep the suggestions and ideas coming so we can develop a fair and fun set of rules for everybody.

-thanks
Old 07-09-2006, 12:50 PM
Race your car!

One other thign, I saw that a wear # was something that was discussed to detrmine what was a real street tire. Something to keep in mind is that hte fast cars are treating red line tires and getting them to hook like a slick.... I'd say a factory equipped tire would be fine, but no treated tires allowed. Not sure hwo that could be teched, but there's got to be a way.

Good move in the n/a ruling for teh low level classes, that will definately help. now, a displacment rule, and a weight and you're all set there.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

we are working on the weight and displacement things. the problem with displacement is that we have to find a reliable and easy way to check. also deciding when to tech something like that is a big deal. teching every car on teh way in woudl get very time consuming and can easily through the schedule off.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

we updated the power adder rules in all the classes. pure street is now N/A only for V8 cars, we are still looking into a formula to help teh V6 crowd be competitive.
there will be some further refinement of the power adder definitions in hot street this evening.
also we are going to post up outlines to start working on definitions for "full interior" and "street equipment" to help everyone plan.
thanks for all the support gang. keep that feedback coming.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

the nitrous rules in Hot Street have been revised again.
there is also a large debate about how to help equalize pure street to make room for V6 owners. i have found some stuff about nitrous, but the interested owners are turbo guys. any suggestions are welcomed.

things are progressing very quickly with the rules. we fully expect to have the long versions for all classes posted up for final discussion the week after the east coast nats. 2 weeks after that we will close the discussions and announce the final rules.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:36 AM
Race your car!

In the case of the turbo v6's, maybe limit it to stock sized turbo, stock location intercooler...that will keep them under check for the most part I'd think. What to do with a conversion car, I have no idea.

I do think the nitrous limitations that have been put in place are a good idea, pwesonally whenI put it on my car I wanted to go with a directport or a TNT power ring kit, or a NX maf kit.... but I think the maf kit and ring kit have a pair of nozzles... guess that's out too. At least I haven't bought anything yet.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

i got a couple of suggestions from people last night that feedback is needed on.

1. Pure Street Exhaust: since there will be mufflers required for all events in pure street, it was suggested that tailpipes be required too. the rules would read something about exhaust no ending before the rear axle or rear tires if it is used.

2. Pure Street V6's: to try to level teh playing field a bit, what do you guys think of allowing a V6 car to run a single bar plate or single nozzle nitrous shot to compete against the N/A V8 cars? a minor weight break of 100lbs was also suggested.

any thoughts on these?
Old 07-14-2006, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
In the case of the turbo v6's, maybe limit it to stock sized turbo, stock location intercooler...that will keep them under check for the most part I'd think. What to do with a conversion car, I have no idea.

I do think the nitrous limitations that have been put in place are a good idea, pwesonally whenI put it on my car I wanted to go with a directport or a TNT power ring kit, or a NX maf kit.... but I think the maf kit and ring kit have a pair of nozzles... guess that's out too. At least I haven't bought anything yet.
not all of use have tta or tta engine swaps,im one of the v6 turbo guys running a turbo charged 3.1L 60* v6
im thinking just limiting tubos size.no dual stage boost controlers,single charge cooler, would do best.as of right now the fastest single turbo no tta engine v6 cars are only going in the low low 12's.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

is there a way you can think of to have 1 set of rules that will be reasonable for the 60* guys and the series1 3.8 crowd?
we are just looking for a balance here and i honestly don't know enough about most V6's to just come up with a fair answer.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:51 PM
Teching In

let them run with the turbo size restriction,and no type of aftermarket electronics.and see what happens
Old 07-14-2006, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

im deff in!!!
Old 07-15-2006, 05:49 AM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by NJSPDER
i got a couple of suggestions from people last night that feedback is needed on.

1. Pure Street Exhaust: since there will be mufflers required for all events in pure street, it was suggested that tailpipes be required too. the rules would read something about exhaust no ending before the rear axle or rear tires if it is used.

2. Pure Street V6's: to try to level teh playing field a bit, what do you guys think of allowing a V6 car to run a single bar plate or single nozzle nitrous shot to compete against the N/A V8 cars? a minor weight break of 100lbs was also suggested.

any thoughts on these?

With the # of people runnign true duals, I don't know if the whole tips out teh back are a great idea... but it's your series, do as you will.

As for the V6's allowed to un nitrous against the n/a cars.. I dunno.. alot of that will depend on how many and what level of built motor cars show to run the class. I'm sure that a weight break is a good idea, not sure what the differnence of weight is say from that v6 to a lt1, but I bet it's way more then 100 lbs, couple that weight and the power difference, and I bet a 150 lb weight break may be about right, maybe even more if the nitrous isn't allowed.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

i could use more feedback on the tailpipes thing.
it was brought up to me as a way to keep some of the big dollar and shop cars from dominating a class that is intended as entry level. the suggestion being that most fo the cars that have gone to the true duals with dumps are beyond entry level in anything other than appearances. is this thinking correct?
i don't own a 4th gen and i don't know anyone personally with a true dual set up. jsut wondering if the idea would be good as protection to the class or if it would keep a lot of cars away?

we are also getting a lot of questions about the base weights and enforcement. all of the tracks that we are in talks with have working certified scales. the idea we are working on for enforcement is:
after each qualifying and elimination pass all heads up competitors will be required to stop at the scales to be checked. should a car come in under weight, we will back the car off the scale, re-zero the scale, and pull the car back on to be rescaled.
during qualifying if the car does not make weight, that pass will not count. if the car is under weight after any elimination run, the car/driver is disqualified and out of the competition.
to keep the brackets even(and avoid broing solo passes), if the car be disqualified was teh winner of a round, the fastest losing car of the same round will be brought and inserted in the vacated spot in the elimination ladder.

does that sound good for weight enforcement? we are going to make more concrete announcements on the weights themselves soon, jsut doing a little more research before we try to finalize anything.

also, i am going to be out of town for a few days, not sure how much time/access i will have to the web. so if anyone makes any suggestions and i don't get back to you right away, i am not ignoring you.

thanks again to everyone for your continued feedback and support of the series idea.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:23 PM
Race your car!

The weight reinforcement seems fine, if a car is that cloe to the weight rule, having some ballast in case of a scale variance with them is only smart IMO.

As for the exhaust, there's more and more people that are just going strait to true duale, most people are going with a dumped setup simply because it's very difficult to make a dual 3 inch pipe setup fit over the rear axle, and under the axle sits too low... and the Y pipes that are on the market are all less then perfect, alot not fitting with tis aftermarket part or hat... hence why people are having the dual setups fabbed to their cars.

Personally I'm still runnign a Y pipe and tips out the back, so to me it doesn't matter, but to alot of guys that have spent big $ having somethign custom fabbed so their h/c car can breathe and clear teir aftermarket tq arm or whatever, won't be too happyif they find out that their h/c full option full weight street car can't run in the pure street class.... that's what I see. Alot of teh guys with cars like this, wouldnt' stand a chance in a hot street or faster class, because tehy have lowered cars, stuff like that that are aimed for street pounding, not track use... limiting an exhaust for a class like that that has to exit out teh back isn't a good idea. Alot of states like florida don't have crapo for emmission srules or inspections, guys from places like that probably don't even know what out the back exhaust is anymore LOL.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

we are gonna leave the tailpipes rules out for now. if the series does well we may look at this again for the '08 season because of the volume of feedback on both sides of the issue.

we also had a suggestion of a change for the weight rules. instead of having the fastest losing car from the previous round be reinstated, it has been sugested that the car beaten by the car taht was disqualified should be put back in. makes sense since that is the race that the weight difference effected the outcome of. feedback?
Old 08-04-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

we got another suggestion about the pure street class. since there is some debate about someone showing up with a big block and killing all the small blocks, a member here suggested a displacement limit. something around 385cid was suggested since it woudl allow for the most common stroker motors.
does this sound realistic to everyone? anyone have any other suggestions about the rules?
we are going to be posting up the full length rules for discussion in a few weeks, everything should be good to lock in by mid september as planned
we already have interest from tracks and a few potential sponsors for the series, so stay tuned. once we post up the final rules we will be making announcements.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey gnag,
i jsut wanted to bump this up to see if anyone had more suggestions. after this weekend i will be getting to work on the long versions of the rules. i am planning to have them posted back up for debate with in about 2 weeks.
i think if we cna get the rules finalized by the end of september that will be a fair amount of time for everyone to get their cars ready for the classes they wanna run.
thanks again for everyones input.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:13 PM
Launching!

the displacement rule is a bad one imo..the 2nd gen pontiac guys with 400's that could very well be very stock..most of which came with less then 200hp (average of 180hp actually) wouldnt even be allowed, i'm a die hard pontiac guy so maybe i'm the only one who cares about that particular glitch even though it doesn't affect me bc right now i dont even have a 1st or 2nd gen bird..just my lil old ls1..but its still something i think should be thought about...everything else i think sounds good