Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

F-body Racers Inside Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006 | 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default F-body Racers Inside Please

hey gang,
we are gauging interest in putting together and all f-body racing series for the 2007 season. something along the lines of 3-5 events with a points championship for both racing and car show. the events would be spread out over the entire summer, starting in april/may and holding the last event in september most likley.

right now the outlien we have in place includes 4 heads up classes, 3 foot brake bracket classes, 1 open electronics bracket, and a complete car show with either 4 or 8 primary classes and a bunch of specialty awards.
we will be putting up a new forum on the NJFBOA site with some more detailed information.

i was wondering if anyone had any particular concerns or questions that you think we shoudl keep in mind when planning this series? any particular style of racing or car show classes that you would like to see? any particular tracks around the northeast/mid-atlantic you woudl liek to see us visit? (please include a link to the tracks site in your post so i cna get in touch with them)

i will post up the link as soon as we get the forum up and running and have some of the basic rules outlines posted for discussion.

we had a lot of fun at the f-body clash and look forward to another sucessful east coast nats in august. hopefully this series will meet with the same support and really turn into something fun for everyone.

-thanks
Old 07-02-2006 | 07:32 PM
TECH Resident

You already have the QTP EFI races at englishtown. If you have yours its gonna be to many races.
Old 07-02-2006 | 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

the QTP series has nothing to do with what we are trying to put together. the EFI series is for all gm fuel injected vehicles, where as our series is for all f-bodies, both fuel injected and carbed will be welcome. we will also have more classes for cars to fit into, including heads up, pro-dial bracket, and a car show for everyone to enjoy.
the QTP EFI series is cool, but aimed at a completely different crowd than we are working with.
Old 07-02-2006 | 08:16 PM
12 Second Club

Hmmmm, I might be in for this
Old 07-02-2006 | 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

i was sjtu talking to one of the guys who is working on this project with me and we shoudl have a rules outline posted up for everyone to discuss by mid-week.
since it is tough to come up with rules packages completely from scratch we are ripping off/combingin ideas from different events and series around the country to make space for as many people as possible to play.
the forum on the NJFBOA site will be up with in the next day or two with a basic outline of what we are shooting for in the series.
Old 07-02-2006 | 08:59 PM
TECH Resident

Might be totally different, but not many people are out racing anymore like they used to. Turnouts are getting smaller and smaller.
Old 07-02-2006 | 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

i see what you are saying.
we are hoping that the appeal of an enthusiast run and enthusiast based series will help to draw more f-body owners back out to the track and show field. the combination of a good prize fund and a strong community of like minded camaro and firebird fans should be plenty get some of the great cars back out of hiding.
Old 07-03-2006 | 02:14 AM
10 Second Club

just do it at atco is all i ask/require to participate. i won't go to e-town unless i basically have to and i hate it. **** e-town and all of their stupid little rules. you can't even run with a goddam cutout open (from what i hear) most of the time. atco's rules say this also but they don't ever enforce it.

i'd probably be down but like said i doubt many people would actually show up and get into it, everybody bitches anymore. it would be the same 10 or so guys competing every time.
Old 07-03-2006 | 05:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

we are actually planning to hold events at a few different facilities, e-town is NOT on the list of places to visit. i worked with the younger napps before, and it is not something i will ever voluntarily do again.
this isn't jsut going to be for new jersey, we have tracks in pa, md, and a few spots in new england that we are looking at to host events.
Old 07-03-2006 | 06:22 AM
Race your car!

Sounds good, just keep the rules open enough so that most cars will have a place at the races, and DO NOT CHANGE THE RULES ONCE THEY ARE SET! That is the **** that everyone I talked to complained about the ls1tech series.

For the classes, some rules liek this might be a good idea:

The bracket classes, pretty much anything should go as long as the car passes tech.

For a heads up slower class, say like a 12.00 breakout, they should be an all motor class... no power adders. This would leave it to the guys with bolt on/cammed or head/cammed full weight cars, a class that the average guy wouldn't feel he's at a disadvantage runnign in. teh weight limit shoudl be high too... again, making it something the average guy can get in and not feel like he's at a disadvantage, say 3550 with driver.

For 11 to 10 second cars, a single power adder would be a good limit, weight limit in the 3300 with driver, that would allow alot of the guys with cars of this level not to have to gut their cars down worse, guys with turbo/superchargers etups that are heavy won't need to tin can their cars, that sort of thing.

The extreme mod class should be a light car, say 3100 with driver, single type of power adder, (supergharger, turbo or nitrous) and leave it at that, maybe put a limitation on the size of turbo's and superchargers, maybe a limit to 2 stages of nitrous, and pass tech.

All the above classes should be a stock style suspension class, no exceptions, no weight penaltys, just has to be that. If modified suspension is something someone wants to run, send them to the outlaw class. A tire limitation would be a good idea, the bracket guys should be pretty much that, run whatever you want, as long as it passes tech, the 12 secodn class should be a tire size like a 26x10, so that no car mods are needed to clear the tires, this agagin, would help attract the guy with a street car that wants to race but not hack his car all up to do it. the 11/10 second classes, a 28x10.5 would probably be plenty, and the extreme class, allow the W tires, maybe even 30 inch tall stuff as more and more guys are going to that... just don't limit the hell out of people, there's alot of guys that can run all the given classes, just try to set the classes up so the average car can be placed without any needed work to do so. If a guy has to redo his whole setup to be able to race a class, that's not gonna fly. Leave the rules loose enough, so that every car has a place.

An outlaw class, that allows 4 link cars, SBC cars, turbo cars, whatever goes would be cool too, this class should be a high buy in/payout class to try to attract some of the heavy hitters to attend, it will definately help with a spectator crowd.

My .02, I will have my car ready next year and if there's any possibility of running some of the series I'd do it in a heartbeat... be great to have a series to race in next year, I started a buldup on my car over the winter with the intent of running a couple ls1tech series this year, and was rather bummed when it was cancelled.... be nice to have something to race in next year when the car's 100%.
Old 07-03-2006 | 07:58 AM

all i can say is have alot of index racing for the people who dont have "race cars" as you will need the slower cars to make $$$$
if ya keep the rules simple for a season or two till you build a base following then you can make some changes to help the classes develop further
if you want FAST outlaw type cars to race you will need to come up with $$$$$$$ for payouts cus those guys wont make the trip if there aint no $$$$ to be won

good luck with your series
Old 07-03-2006 | 02:30 PM
TECH Regular

I think one foot-brake slick and one foot-brake drag radial/street tire class is all that you probably need. How were you thinking of dividing them up?

I know that there appears to be a bias against it, but I wouldn't mind seeing one of these at etown.
Old 07-03-2006 | 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

we are looking to seperate ourfoot brake bracket classes by tire type.
1. True Street Radial: for normal street tires, no drag or competition meats of any sort allowed
2. Drag Radial: any racing type construction radial tire allowed. no bias ply construction or "cheater/street" slicks allowed
3. Slick Tire: open to all bias construction true slicks and cheater/street slicks equiped cars.

since the true radial is intended as an absolute entry level deal we are thinking about requiring all the interior and street equipment to be intact. from what i have seen at other events a lot of rookies get scared away because they see someone with a "race car" pulling into the lane they would be competing in.

we also plan to have an electronics/pro-dial style bracket for the button crowd to play in.

for heads up we are looking to have 4 classes. 3 of them will be completely stock suspension based and the big crowd pleaser outlaw class will be the 4th. one class i think will create a lot of hype, it is an really nice entry level heads up formula that i found. i think with some minor tweaking it can be a big hit.

i am working on the rules outlines right now. hopefully tonight(if it rains and the fireworks are cancelled) or tomorrow evening we will be posting up the general ideas of what we are shooting for.

our plan for the rules is to get the info out and have open discussion/debate of the rules packages until august 20th(the date of the east coast f-body nationals). at that point we will take all of the feedback and put together our final rules package, that will be posted in early-mid september. at that point we will consider the rules closed unless a safety issue presents itself. no rules changes will be made during the season. only thing that may appear as we get some events under our belts and see what everyone is doing is some better definitions of points that people may be reading differently.

thanks for the feedback and support gang. keep it coming.
Old 07-04-2006 | 06:55 AM
9 Second Club

That's alot of footbrake classes. street and drag radial and why would a slick car not be able to use a t brake? You could give a choice to a drag radial car to race in the street or slick tire class.
Old 07-04-2006 | 07:31 AM
Race your car!

I think a pure street tire class is a good idea, not sure what oher rules should apply to that class, probably full stock equipment, or just have a min weight that's high enough so that anyone that did remove anythign will just be adding it back in ballast.

Don't get too crazy with too many classes though, I know it would give every guya place to race, but what you'll end up with is 4 cars per class.... and that's not really gonna work too good either.

I'd seperate it into maybe a footbrake and a button/electronics class, that would be enough. Then have a 12, 11, 10 and extreme class, with tire/weight rules according to the class, limit the power adders accordingly etc.etc.

I've been involved with racing for most of my life in one sort or another, and having too many classes usually never works very well.

Try to set them up so the average guy can get involved... you need stuff for street/slower cars, make this the focus at the beginning, they are the ones that you want to come out in droves, as there's WAY more fo them then there is race cars... get these guys involved, and it will grow. The guys with built up cars will fall into their respective catagories on their own for the most part
Old 07-04-2006 | 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

one thing we are working towards in the bracket and heads up structures is to make sure there is room for real entry level drivers. having a seperation of only foot brake or electronic does not allow this as it leaves out the average person who may be interested, would like to have a fair shot to win, but has not yet invested in $350 worth of rear tires.
i have used the tires as a seperation for the footbrake classes in the past, and the street radial class is always as big or bigger than the drag radial and slick classes combined.

we will have the class outlines up soon. hopefully that will give everyone a better understanding of what we are shooting for as far as having a place for everyone to play.
Old 07-05-2006 | 04:40 AM
Race your car!

Sounds good, I am looking foreward to seeing the program.
Old 07-06-2006 | 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey gang,
i wanted to let everyone know that we got the rules outlines posted up for discussion. please check it out and let us know what you think. feel free to sign up on the NJFBOA forums, it will allow you to participate right where the planning is going on and also add you to our e-mailing list to receive newsletters every few weeks with a nice summary of all the latest happenings and updates on our event planning.

http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdi...aysprune=&f=44

let me know what you think
Old 07-07-2006 | 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

we have had a few suggestions in teh heads up rules, check them out and let me know what you guys think.
the time table we are looking at for the rules is to collect feedback/ideas until the end of august and then have the rules presneted by mid-september. we want the rules locked in by the end of setember or early october at the latest sothat everyone has time to prepare their car to compete
Old 07-07-2006 | 07:38 PM
Race your car!

I wanted to post over there.. did the registration, but it doesn't seem to like me yet... so I'll post here.

I think the pure street radial classes are a great idea.... only thing I'd limit it to is all motor cars with a displacment limitation. This would keep high dollar huge motor cars out, stuff that really doesn't blong there, but might fit the rules because they left the interior and power stuff in the car. It would really make the class more if a beginner class... what it's meant to be.

All the other rules look good, I'd personally like to run in the hot street class, that to me looks like where I would best fit, as I'm keeping the interior in my car, back seat and stereo will be gone, a/c will be gone, but it will have carpet, and most likly still 2 seats in the front, all the panels and whatnot will be in, that sort of thing. The weight limit is pretty low, but I guess for the 1st gen cars that is a very easily achievable weight, having a ws-6 transam, I have the heaviest of all 4th gens to start with, just means I have to do a little extra weight reduction to get to class weight... nothing I'm afraid of.

Also, I see the rules with single power adder.. is there also a displacment rule? I mean if there's not, a guy could stick a 700CI BB in 1st gen car, and clean house... that kind of thing wouldn't make too many people happy. If there's no limit on engine size.. maybe there should be X amount of weight for every CI over a certain amount, say 355 CI max, and start adding some weight for every CI over that. Of course, it's not an easy thing to tech, but if people are honest it would be fair enough I mean it wouldn't be hard to tell if a guy that said he was running a 350 was running a 406 small block, and a guy running an alum ls1 engine that says it's stock CI, is most likly not gonna try to pull that off with a resleeved 427 in the car.. that sort of thing is a little hard to hide... they don't exactly sound the same.